Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
My last GC I had to swipe 3 times on the Walmart Kiosk to get to work, kept on saying payment declined, but eventually worked.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
deleted.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Three of my four GCs today were declined. These were Vanilla Visa. "Debit not available" even though I entered the right PIN and all funds were on the account. I checked online and it shows $500 being debited from WalMart, then a refund of $500. Never had this happen before. I was buying MO's, not loading BB.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
This has happened to some people before. I had a successful load today at Walmart
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Three of my four GCs today were declined. These were Vanilla Visa. "Debit not available" even though I entered the right PIN and all funds were on the account
How do you know that you've entered "the right pin" for Vanilla Visas?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:17 am

I will say that this thread FREAKED me out. I had 10K in chase VGC. I went to my local grocery store and transformed all of them into paper. Something sounds wrong with your PIN, or your monthly limits.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Three of my four GCs today were declined. These were Vanilla Visa. "Debit not available" even though I entered the right PIN and all funds were on the account. I checked online and it shows $500 being debited from WalMart, then a refund of $500. Never had this happen before. I was buying MO's, not loading BB.
Did you do this with a clerk? If so, I'm guessing that the clerk didn't key in properly. This happened to me yesterday. The clerk knew what to do and the first 3 $500 GCs went fine, but she got a call, was distracted and didn't key in before the 4th card, and I thought she had. The card was rejected twice and so was another card I tried until she realized what hadn't happened and corrected it. I got my 2 MOs, but had to check which of the first 4 cards wasn't processed, because I had stuck them all into my pocket together.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Did you do this with a clerk? If so, I'm guessing that the clerk didn't key in properly. This happened to me yesterday. The clerk knew what to do and the first 3 $500 GCs went fine, but she got a call, was distracted and didn't key in before the 4th card, and I thought she had. The card was rejected twice and so was another card I tried until she realized what hadn't happened and corrected it. I got my 2 MOs, but had to check which of the first 4 cards wasn't processed, because I had stuck them all into my pocket together.
I have a system so I know what cards are used and which one is not. I keep the activition stickers on the cards, and once I get the approved screen and the BB is loaded or MO is printed, I take the sticker off. I also have one pocket I have the cards in, and the other pocket I placed the used cards. So once I get home, I shred the used cards. This has cut down on any confusion of what cards are used and not.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Necessities for MSing:

Sharpie
Small pouch in car to keep spent items and receipts
Rubber bands to wrap gcs and receipts once used
Pen
Calculator on phone
Extra deposit slips from many banks
Cargo shorts or many pockets or multi sectioned hand bag
A system of which pocket does what
Running shoes to chase or flee
Signature and printed name stamps
And other things Jason Bourne might use
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:58 am

I do not discard used VGC cards so early. I wait until the money from account to which VGC is loaded is sent through bill pay and the bill pay balance is successfully paid off.

I donot want to lose cards and their receipts to run into a risk of any reversal of credit and create traceability difficulty.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I do not discard used VGC cards so early. I wait until the money from account to which VGC is loaded is sent through bill pay and the bill pay balance is successfully paid off.

I donot want to lose cards and their receipts to run into a risk of any reversal of credit and create traceability difficulty.
same here. I keep them with whatever I got with them. YOU NEVER KNOW what could happen--and it has!
I keep them in a small box by my home office desk for a month. That box has all the stuff I did for that month, like VRs, etc.
Then I put all of it in bins in my basement where I have storage.
I also keep these bins for of all things miles and points so that one day I can be cool by displaying them at some FT DO like MMS might lol and we can all say, yeah I remember that GC! Did you get some too?

Although as stated elsewhere, I have in fact placed loads of spent GCs into my walls when constructing the basement living room so that one day like 75 years from now someone will do some demo or remodel and find them and go wow wth was THIS guy into! I also have plenty of other memorabilia in there like newspaper articles, Red Sox stuff from the 2004 WS, and even some extra drawings my kids made (we have saved most of them but some had to be archived like this!). If anyone needs a VR that hasn't been used yet, I snagged one from a CVS and stuck it into a concrete form I poured last week to shore up the bulkhead. It is now inside the middle of a 2'x4' block of solid concrete but like I said, it aint been used yet so have at! Bring a sledge hammer and some beers lol
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Necessities for MSing:

Sharpie
Small pouch in car to keep spent items and receipts
Rubber bands to wrap gcs and receipts once used
Pen
Calculator on phone
Extra deposit slips from many banks
Cargo shorts or many pockets or multi sectioned hand bag
A system of which pocket does what
Running shoes to chase or flee
Signature and printed name stamps
And other things Jason Bourne might use
I think you're describing something closer to this (see below) than Jason Bourne:

Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
I think you're describing something closer to this (see below) than Jason Bourne:

hahaha I think you are right!

I mean hey I wanna THINK I am Jason Bourne but let's be honest here for a moment...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1

I'm saving them to build this:

Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I guess I'm the only one who throws all his gift cards out after the money is in the bank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.