Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:42 pm

Duplicate post

Last edited by wheelsup57; Aug 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by wheelsup57
A rookies adventures.

I have about six hours invested in The manufactured spending forum, so decided to take the plunge this afternoon. After visiting three Walgreens (we have no cvs on my region), and a couple of 7/11 s I accepted the fact that I was not going to be able to buy a my vanilla prepaid reload card with my aadvantage platinum level visa signature.

So on to plan B, a visit to walmart. I should add that I opened a Bluebird account online two weeks ago. I attempted to buy a MasterCard gift card with a $500 value and a fee of $4.64 I think. The line was quicker at money center, where I was told cash or debit only. I went back into the store and picked up an amex gift card (no visa gift cards available). This time got in a cashiers line, offered my aadvantage visa, again cash or debit only.

On the way home, I dropped into my local Fred Meyer, found a visa gift card, and successfully purchased it $505.95 including fee for card.

Have I missed some obvious rule here?

Is it the case that can't buy a MasterCard gc or an Amex gc with a visa credit card?

Or, you can't by giftcards at walmart? Unlikely, I know.

As I say, I've made a genuine effort to study the forum, but where did I go wrong?

Finally, I know that I will need a pin, in order to load my visa giftcard onto my bluebird account when I return to Walmart. I expected to find a phone number on my new shiny visa giftcard, but all I saw where instructions to go online to my giftcardsite.com. Eventually, I did find a customer service number on the packaging that contained my new card. it was a number I should call if my card is about to expire.

Well I called,and was actually able to successfully set up a pin. Last rookie question. Even though the automated reception told me my card was activated , do I still have to register the card at mygiftcardsite.com?

Sorry again, if I have missed an obvious move here.
See reply in other thread
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I asked this a ways back, but didn't get an answer...anyone successful in loading a staples rebate card to BB? They say "visa debit" on the card, which means they should be able to have a pin set, but I've tried every method of setting a pin to no avail. TIA.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I asked this a ways back, but didn't get an answer...anyone successful in loading a staples rebate card to BB? They say "visa debit" on the card, which means they should be able to have a pin set, but I've tried every method of setting a pin to no avail. TIA.
What bank issues the Staples visa gift card?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
What bank issues the Staples visa gift card?
Chase issues it

Pic:

I do an asston of FAR stuff from staples for the 5x UR points.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:34 pm

Have you tried calling the number back of a Chase debit gift card (the one we purchase with no fee) and inputting that card number? See if it works
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Have you tried calling the number back of a Chase debit gift card (the one we purchase with no fee) and inputting that card number? See if it works
Funny you mention that. Just tried that, calling the chase gift card phone number. Says "this card number is not a valid chase gift card number."
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:18 pm

They allow the rebates to be sent in check form as well - why go through the bother of a debit card?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by raccah
They allow the rebates to be sent in check form as well - why go through the bother of a debit card?
Ditto. I just did a ton this week and will next as well. I always change the form of payment on the rebate request.
You may be stuck using the GC on the FAR items coming up in the next few weeks to cash out.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:19 am

Anyone know what's going on with Walmart? 2 Walmarts haven't restocked their giftcards for the past month. Haven't seen a Celebrate Visa in a LONG time.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Funny you mention that. Just tried that, calling the chase gift card phone number. Says "this card number is not a valid chase gift card number."
I believe you're out of luck

“This Rebate Visa Prepaid Card is not redeemable for cash and does not have a PIN associated with it. This card may not be used for cash withdrawal at any cash-dispensing location and may not be used for Debit transactions“

https://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/i...s/prepaid.html

I been missing out. Always thought these "easy rebates" come in the form of Staples gift card
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Ditto. I just did a ton this week and will next as well. I always change the form of payment on the rebate request.
You may be stuck using the GC on the FAR items coming up in the next few weeks to cash out.
I would do check...which I have before, but I have found I get the visa prepaid card within 4 weeks. The check takes like 8 weeks. Granted on not floating that much cash, but always better to have your money sooner than later...

My default is cashing them out at where I work. They allow you to buy something with 1 card, and return to another. Buy w/rebate card, return to debit card. I just wish I could load BB with it.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by raccah
I've done a bunch of FAR and occasionally run into case where there is not a check option.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by econjon
I've done a bunch of FAR and occasionally run into case where there is not a check option.
I've been doing almost all the FAR for a year. They have 3 options:

1) Check
2) Debit Card
3) PayPal

Most FAR will offer 2 out of the 3 choices, occasionally all 3 will be offered.
I have not run into one yet that only issues Debit Cards.

In other words, if they don't offer check, they should offer PayPal - which is honestly the easiest to choose as it requires no physical tender exchanging hands.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
I've been doing almost all the FAR for a year. They have 3 options:

1) Check
2) Debit Card
3) PayPal

Most FAR will offer 2 out of the 3 choices, occasionally all 3 will be offered.
I have not run into one yet that only issues Debit Cards.

In other words, if they don't offer check, they should offer PayPal - which is honestly the easiest to choose as it requires no physical tender exchanging hands.
Paypal is only offered on rebate offers $9.99 or less.

Sometimes there are rebates that offer Staples gift card only, but those are rare and clearly stated beforehand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.