Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Several dozen
Ditto. Good assessment. BoA needs to be banned from banking by their risk/closure folks. Their CEO forgot to say "We deserve to make a profit LEGALLY!"

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I try to treat my Chase cards like royalty. I treat my Amex cards a bit more liberally. My TYP is used for churning. BofA can go fly a kite in a thunderstorm for all I care. Don't risk the cards you want to keep.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by terpfan101
I even thought our amazing trip to Europe recently traveled in First stayed at super nice hotels (ie PH Vendome) would get her more into it but I don't think it had all that big of an impact. So I feel your pain!
Ding!!!! This will do it, it did for my partner, on our way home he really opened up to the idea, we now have more points and miles then thought we were, next trip is to NYC, and then to HNL, Europe is next year with really a RTW flight.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:06 pm

woot!

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Aug 7, 2013 at 11:22 pm
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Several dozen
Definition: A place to buy electronics on the cheap. Bought all my Sony tablets at woot heavily discounted.

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
woot!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I echo your sentiments about the ring. When I make her the Mrs and I point out all the trips we can take without paying money, she may come on board.

She did sign up for a BB for me, so I'm at least happy with that. She is not going to the store to buy gcs or beans, but I have got her to sign up for cards. She signed up with Penfed, Delta Amex, and discover because of me. She even let me know that she researched the Delta Amex Platinum because of the companion pass. Baby steps!
Guys
I'll marry you if you buy me a ticket first class lol
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ditto. Good assessment. BoA needs to be banned from banking by their risk/closure folks. Their CEO forgot to say "We deserve to make a profit LEGALLY!"
I like that BofA is corrupt. That makes it easier for me to run some of my schema through them without getting stopped! lol

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
Guys
Ok we need to see a pic!

Not just some hottie in a bikini mind you... No, people here wanna see a real woman or man: Someone holding up say a stack of GCs or money orders... someone with a picture of them next to a box of credit cards in their name. yah, now THAT is something you would see on some site like, areyoumileshotornot.com!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:38 am

Guys
one way?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Guys
How about First class between Westray and Papa Westray in Orkney?

The distance between the two locations stands at slightly more than a mile and can be travelled in as little as 47 seconds, depending on the direction of the wind.
The flight between Westray and Papa Westray is currently priced at £21 return, making it perhaps the most expensive flight in the world in terms of cost per mile.

Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
one way?
lol... planning on using the FC cabins to love em and leave em and then see ya?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
How about First class between Westray and Papa Westray in Orkney?

The distance between the two locations stands at slightly more than a mile and can be travelled in as little as 47 seconds, depending on the direction of the wind.
The flight between Westray and Papa Westray is currently priced at £21 return, making it perhaps the most expensive flight in the world in terms of cost per mile.

currently, you mean... right?

There was a story of a captured Japanese island airfield in WWII where US flyers would take of, bomb the enemy that was located just beyond the end of the airfield, and then come back to reload and do it again. This was effective but of course those bombs do cost a lot too!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:55 pm

Saw some new Vanilla MasterCards for the first time at a local CVS.
Don't think I will try them out though, unless the Visas stop working.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Bean
Saw some new Vanilla MasterCards for the first time at a local CVS.
Don't think I will try them out though, unless the Visas stop working.
One can invest $4.95 from entertainment budget to try it out ($20 to load, spend as normal if failed).
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:49 pm

Data Point -

One of the Walmarts I visit for GC->MO purposes caused me issues today. The normal 500 debit split process wasn't working, it spat out a piece of paper objecting to the payment technique before even asking me to swipe.

The two pleasant ladies there were puzzled (I could tell they had been doing it for folks before) and decided it must have been due to a change that 'moved some of the buttons around'.

They were persistent and eventually got it to work by having me first swipe, enter my pin, and then they typed in the 500.00 afterwards. If anyone else encounters the same issue have then give that a try.

Other store I visited today worked the normal way.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:58 pm

Anyone ever been banned by Blackhawk? Just got an interesting phone call...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by hydrr
Anyone ever been banned by Blackhawk? Just got an interesting phone call...
Care to elaborate? How exactly do they ban you anyway? You can just walk into a store and buy a gift card, not sure how they would ban you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.