Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Anybody do any loads this afternoon?
Yes, loaded 5x200 no problem. No new SW on my kiosk though. 1 card was thru the money center since I was there anyways. The other 4 were on the kiosk.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Bought to MOs at the kiosk.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes, loaded 5x200 no problem. No new SW on my kiosk though. 1 card was thru the money center since I was there anyways. The other 4 were on the kiosk.
Originally Posted by oipunk77
Did a load from a US bank $500 VISA this afternoon at WM via cashier.
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Thanks for the updates. Just making sure the sky wasn't falling.............yet.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by oipunk77
Did a load from a US bank $500 VISA this afternoon at WM via cashier.
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
^ Thanks for updates!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Delete.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Data point: I accumulate something like 7k Mastercard gift card from safeway $10 off next shopping promotion without read this thread, even include those celebrate MC gift card. I can't use them pay bill and buy money order in WM like VISA gift card. During short-lived HIGC spree, I used CELEBRATE version of Mastercard buy HIGC and liquidate them on the same day. I still have 4k MASTERCARD GC.

Today I came to walnart, no matter what kind of method I use, I cannot buy money order, pay bill I'm WM money center. But I did load 4 mastercard GC into my bluebird in ordinary check counter just now by waiting for 1am eastern time.

During over 10 times fruitless trying, it seems that only way to liquidate those mastercard GC is to load bluebird, but not in money center counter.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:41 am

My experience with the MC Kiosk software update:

Tried the new BB button. Steps were pretty much the same as before until I selected 'Debit' as payment option. Next screen said 'Do you want cashback?'. Odd since it usually asks to slide card and enter pin first. I proceeded thinking it might be backwards with new SW. No to cashback, confirm total, then get a debit card error. Uh, yeah, maybe because you haven't let me swipe it yet?

Tried again, this time swiping GC before choosing the debit option. Still jumped over the PIN input step and wound up with error again. Same behavior if I tried using the old WMMC button instead of BB.

The whole time the speed of the kiosk was all over the map. Sometimes super slow, other times moving along briskly.

I was able to load with cashiers no problem. I'm just hoping that the kiosk gets sorted soon.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by mithrin

Tried the new BB button. Steps were pretty much the same as before until I selected 'Debit' as payment option. Next screen said 'Do you want cashback?'. Odd since it usually asks to slide card and enter pin first. I proceeded thinking it might be backwards with new SW. No to cashback, confirm total, then get a debit card error. Uh, yeah, maybe because you haven't let me swipe it yet?

Tried again, this time swiping GC before choosing the debit option. Still jumped over the PIN input step and wound up with error again. Same behavior if I tried using the old WMMC button instead of BB.

The whole time the speed of the kiosk was all over the map. Sometimes super slow, other times moving along briskly.

I was able to load with cashiers no problem. I'm just hoping that the kiosk gets sorted soon.
Sounds like crappy software upgrades all around.

Data point: Loaded BB via MC quick as hell. I think it was the quickest trip I ever made to walmart (which was insane for tax free weekend here in NC).

Total tx time-10 seconds.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mithrin

previously had been unable to load a celebrate MC to BB at a kiosk. today had a similar experience as mithrin at another walmart but throughout a checkout lane. swiped card --> changed payment --> selected debit or opted for no cash back? --> entered PIN --> ERROR

fortunately i only have 2 celebrate MC and i'm going to run them thru AP or use for everyday purchases. no issues using chase g/c to load BB.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Anyone able to convert GC to MO at WM?
My bro tried to do that few minutes ago and got error 51 at WM.
He was able to enter his pin at the cashier's register but couldnt go through..
anyone else experienced something similar?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
post 616.
Check you balances (Or may be you were charged with fees which exeeded available funds - cashier error)
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by pier11
post 616.
Check you balances (Or may be you were charged with fees which exeeded available funds - cashier error)
Nope. It was for 999.30 divided between two cards $1000 total. $500/per swipe on two cards.. No cashier error or user error at this time.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

Seems like this has been asked before but I don't see a clear answer, so I apologize for the repetition - does anyone have experience using a Citi card to buy gift cards from giftcardmall? Has it been treated as a regular purchase or as a cash advance? VRs have disappeared around here so I'm trying to figure out my next step.
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I bought 2 on Saturday with US bank gcs. My gf was with me. She thought it was clever. Still, she wasn't willing to play the game with me. Oh well.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ive heard of people using chase ccs to buy many giftcards.com gcs online and eventually being shut down without notice. I know citicards can buy gcs from gcm in stores (like grocery and as part of a gricery purchase) but not sure about online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.