Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
'debit not available appr. Code = 75'

Has anybody figured out what code 75 means?

'DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE = 75'

Originally Posted by jasonvr
When I was having problems with the Celebrate USB MC I got all sorts of codes. The ones that I kept included 2x 65, 2x 51, and 1x 76.

According to this site:
https://hostedcheckout.zendesk.com/e...odes-FI-Codes-

65 = ACTIVITY LIMIT EXCEEDED
51 = INSUFFICIENT FUNDS
76 = UNABLE TO LOCATE, NO MATCH (or maybe INSUFFICIENT FUNDS)
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:29 pm
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by wcj
75= pin attempts exceeded. Can't use it for a pack of gum at Aldis an all debit card store, MOs, BBs or anything. Dispose of in other fashion, swap it or I think there were some reports of being able to call and get it reset.
@wcj - thanks for the info.

So I reset the PINs on my 2 MC gift cards from Staples ($200 each, US Bank). One worked and was successfully loaded onto Gobank card, the other card got me a code 75 again - and this was the first time I used it after resetting the PIN!

MC giftcard is not easy to work with.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
I am playing cat and mouse game with Walmart money center. One of the cashiers, Cassandra, is the cat. She told me that we doesn't allow gc purchase on MO. The next time I saw her, she asked to see my 3 debit cards before proceeding the order. After showing the cards, I switched the cards to GCs. The order went through. She said the next time she sees me, she will swipe the cards herself. Since then, I have been checking to see if Cassandra is there, I go home. No her, I order MOs without any question. Sigh. Time to be familiar with her work schedule.

Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by shopper711
I am playing cat and mouse game with Walmart money center. One of the cashiers, Cassandra, is the cat. She told me that we doesn't allow gc purchase on MO. The next time I saw her, she asked to see my 3 debit cards before proceeding the order. After showing the cards, I switched the cards to GCs. The order went through. She said the next time she sees me, she will swipe the cards herself. Since then, I have been checking to see if Cassandra is there, I go home. No her, I order MOs without any question. Sigh. Time to be familiar with her work schedule.

Give people just a tiny bit of power and they become dictators. When did she get to dictate whether she scans the cards or you do?

Money centers usually close around 11pm. I go after 9pm to get the late shift guy who could care less what I use.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels

I totally have this crap at my local WM neighbor market where the shift manager freaked out during the OM $200 GC deal and saw me coming AM and PM to load my GB (to and from work). She essentially told me I was banned. For no good reason.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by rdover1
I totally have this crap at my local WM neighbor market where the shift manager freaked out during the OM $200 GC deal and saw me coming AM and PM to load my GB (to and from work). She essentially told me I was banned. For no good reason.
Banned? Just because she saw a pattern you were banned? Wow. Quite ridiculous.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by turnpike13
Banned? Just because she saw a pattern you were banned? Wow. Quite ridiculous.
I wouldnt say its ridiculous if WMs policy is not to allow GCs.The fact that we have been able to get away with it doesnt change anything. Look how 7-11 simply hard coded their regs. I guess they realized telling the clerks only to take ca$h didnt help all that much

I much prefer having a single mgr do this then WM to hard code all their regs and kyosks. Depending where a person lives this may put them out of biz, but in most cases all it means is driving an extra 20-30 mins at most to another WM. If it was me Id just stay out of that 1 WM and let that mgr win, since I win also by going to another WM and continuing on
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Agreed
Switch wms

Go back to wmt 1 in like 6 months and you may have a whole new staff
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
How is this ban enforced? Only when she sees you?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:23 am

Wear a fake mustache.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wcj
Do you see the difference between your attempt at WM and your success at Kroger? WM knew you were trying to use visa debit cards. Why in the world you would tell them, I don't understand. This is just like the lady I saw a couple of weeks back call the manager over because she couldn't get a MO from the kiosk with her stack of GCs, prominently displayed on the machine. She made absolutely no attempt to do it on her own, just called the manager over......Surprisingly, she was unable to do...... The employees, can and will decline them for you. Just tell them you are using a debit card and it works fine. Go back and try again
I actually was using the card on the machine where you just slide the card through without the worker looking at my card.. it would decline on the machine right after I swiped it as ATM/DEBIT. And only then did the cashier ask to try to swipe the card himself, and said their machines reject GCs. I guess it was my mistake to show the worker after it declined.. but either way, was my first attempt. Had the stand alone money machine allowed me to purchase a MO, I wouldn't have tried the money center cashier.

Either way, since Kroger/Frys allows me to do this, I'll just continue to go there.

Some had asked about my using this DEBIT card to get cash back on a purchase. I think it was the same one issued by US Bank... but it only worked back in June. I haven't seen this work since. They may have closed up that loophole.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:15 pm

Impressive petty tyranny. I'm amazed you found a (presumably) non-managerial Wal-Mart employee who wasn't completely apathetic about their work.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:15 pm
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So today went to WM to load the BB, and to my surprise the home screen on the kiosk looked different. There is a bottom for "Bluebird" as well as "Money Order", however, the machine wouldn't work, after I swiped my BB card the system froze. An employee informed me that it hasn't work since they "updated it" and they were expecting someone to come look at it later on today. Went over the customer service center and a kid helped me with no problems. My goal is start buying MO's this week hopefully the kiosk is working and I can buy them from the machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.