Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I just got cash back at Walmart!
Would you mind sharing more details (type of card, amount of cash back etc)?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by st.exupery
(probably a silly question but . . . ) do you fill out the "From" section of the MO? Fictional names? I would think the bank only cares about the person receiving the deposit.
So if you get any kind of bank audit, irs audit or SAR you would look like that woman on trial for murder that keeps changing her lies saying so was lieing then but not now. hmmmm phoney names really do honest law abiding people use fictious names on financial documents. They are going to love you
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

I guess there's no reason to fill out the "from" section, if the bank takes the deposit.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
Would you mind sharing more details (type of card, amount of cash back etc)?
I purchased the gift card at OM with the ink. It's the only card that they have for $200 at my store. (.676 per point)

I purchased an onion at WM. I then pushed debit on the screen. It asked if I wanted cash back. I opted for $80 instead of the max. Then the transaction said approved. I was floored when the money spit out of the terminal.

I was also able to load BB with this same gift card. This was much easier than the problems I had yesterday with my MC gift card.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by texasguy77
I bought the $500 US Bank card and will test it out at WM tomorrow to load BB. I wont be attempting to purchase money order since I have no need for them. I will report back.
This was a big waste of time for me. So I went to Walmart Money Center and their system wont prompt me to enter a pin, it runs it as credit and then it gets denied because credit is not a valid type for BB. So I had to go to CVS and pick up a Paypal card (I've purchased these before) and tried purchasing it with the debit option, never even got to the option to enter pin, transaction was denied as was asked to use another option. Used the same card again but this time left it as credit. Since the card only had $500, I had to use another form of payment for the 3.95 fee. Shhhh. Until they've ironed out the debit card network issue, which I think these cards are not setup to access the NYCE network. So I'm out 5.95 for the original Visa Card and 3.95 for the Paypal card
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
Tried this yesterday on a $100 GC that is on sale for $90 at Safeway. Successfully loaded BB at Wal-Mart after getting the GC pin via a phone call. Now to find the $500 GCs or look through this long thread for hints or wait for FM/MMS to do the grunt work!

I thought that I recently read that some CCs no longer offer 5 percent cashback on GCs purchased at grocery stores/drug stores/department stores/electronics stores/wherever else they usually offer 5 percent back on other non-GC purchases. Hopefully the Amex Preferred 6 percent (capped) at grocery stores is not one of those.

Seems like Safeway did not give gas rewards on the GC purchase.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UNited American
I just got back from Wally World. Went to hy-vee first, easily bought two $500 visa debit gift cards from Metabank using CC. Came home, went to giftcardmall.com and entered info and activated PIN. Drove to WW and tried to load onto BB at register, no luck. Went to customer service, tried both cards for a total of three more attempts and it said it was done and then the receipt printed out saying it was an invalid transaction.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
I just got back from Wally World. Went to hy-vee first, easily bought two $500 visa debit gift cards from Metabank using CC. Came home, went to giftcardmall.com and entered info and activated PIN. Drove to WW and tried to load onto BB at register, no luck. Went to customer service, tried both cards for a total of three more attempts and it said it was done and then the receipt printed out saying it was an invalid transaction.
+1 The Walmart system is programmed to run as credit unless the debit card is identified as being part of a particular network.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:15 pm
jk2
Original Poster

After posting about this deal, I got some negative PMs with "you shouldn't post about it" line. Since I believe that I owe to FT a lot (since I learned many new things here), I decided to share the information about this "GC+PIN" deal.

I was thinking about posting about another deal I am aware of but after such comments I'm not sure I should do it. OK, maybe this is not a big deal since it is only about extra $1K/month in free spending + moneypacks (if somebody can buy them using CC).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:36 pm

If everyone takes and no one contributes then FT would become pointless quickly. It's a shame because I do appreciate concerns about deals being killed quickly. I suppose one could decide how much volume a deal can handle as to whether to publicize it or keep it in PMs.

Originally Posted by jk2
After posting about this deal, I got some negative PMs with "you shouldn't post about it" line. Since I believe that I owe to FT a lot (since I learned many new things here), I decided to share the information about this "GC+PIN" deal.

I was thinking about posting about another deal I am aware of but after such comments I'm not sure I should do it. OK, maybe this is not a big deal since it is only about extra $1K/month in free spending + moneypacks (if somebody can buy them using CC).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:57 pm

tried both cards for a total of three more attempts and it said it was done and then the receipt printed out saying it was an invalid transaction
Walmart may have already started pushing out the updated POS
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
I think this is where you went wrong. Re-read the first post of this thread again.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
I think this is where you went wrong. Re-read the first post of this thread again.
I'm afraid I don't get what you mean. I've been doing the VRs for a couple months. Activated the PINs on these. Entered PINs, after swiping. Both clerk and I thought things were fine and then a little slip pops out that says transaction invalid. Do u think it would have gone thru if I had not put in PIN? I can use the card for something else if needed but would prefer to load it onto BB as planned. PM if you have some big insight I am not catching. Thank you much. Just an FYI I went to the vr place prior and all their cards were vanilla, several different kinds, but nothing mentioning a PIN so I was afraid to buy them.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:46 pm

I thought I read on one of the posts that someone had successfully used the visa by Metabank but not the vanillas. Maybe I have transposed the info.....
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:51 pm

A MC card issued by USbank was unable to be used at Walmart as debit (never even offered to enter a pin, I tried 2 different wal-marts), however it worked at a local drug store. Vanilla failed everywhere I tried them. I'm going to try the PO tomorrow, maybe the MC card will work there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.