Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by houstonhusker
OK...any help on this is appreciated. First of all this is not my first Rodeo...I'm pretty experienced with buying the US Bank Visa GC's and then loading to BB. However, yesterday, I ran into my first issue. I purchased 4 US Bank Visa GC's at Kroger, called and changed pin on each one as normal. Ran over to WM to load to BB. I had 3 load with no problem. The 4th would not load. This is NOT due to the kiosk reaching the max load on cards. So I tried waiting 10 minutes and went to register to load...no go. So I gave up, headed home and then returned to a different WM later in the afternoon just to buy a Money Order...when I try to use the card as a debit...it gets declined. So I tried resetting PIN again, still no go. Finally this morning, I went online and registered the card and called the customer service to advise why it keeps getting declined as debit. Of course they tell me because these are not debit cards, can only be used as credit....blah blah blah. Anyone have any real world experience on how to get this to read as a debit even just for a money order so I can liquidate it? Again, this is not a BB issue...it's with the GC itself. Any help is appreciated...^
I've had this happen. Tried multiple ways to unload with no success. It's like the card will not function as a debit. I bought a VR with it.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:28 am

My amazon payments accounts are reserved for unruly gift cards. You could always spend them too!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:41 am

Tried to buy a $500 Vanilla MC at Walmart with my cc, it was denied - the cashier said debit card only or cash. At other stores, CVS Rite Aid, have no problem. Is cashier correct or just try another cashier?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by airfly56
Tried to buy a $500 Vanilla MC at Walmart with my cc, it was denied - the cashier said debit card only or cash. At other stores, CVS Rite Aid, have no problem. Is cashier correct or just try another cashier?
Try to find a Visa GC instead next time at Walmart. IME these work but the Mastercard GCs do not.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cashback
My amazon payments accounts are reserved for unruly gift cards. You could always spend them too!
That's what I had to do with my unruly MC gift card

You could also load to Target Amex
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by airfly56
Is cashier correct or just try another cashier?
Cashier is correct. It's hard coded in the register.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by houstonhusker
OK...any help on this is appreciated. First of all this is not my first Rodeo...I'm pretty experienced with buying the US Bank Visa GC's and then loading to BB. However, yesterday, I ran into my first issue. I purchased 4 US Bank Visa GC's at Kroger, called and changed pin on each one as normal. Ran over to WM to load to BB. I had 3 load with no problem. The 4th would not load. This is NOT due to the kiosk reaching the max load on cards. So I tried waiting 10 minutes and went to register to load...no go. So I gave up, headed home and then returned to a different WM later in the afternoon just to buy a Money Order...when I try to use the card as a debit...it gets declined. So I tried resetting PIN again, still no go. Finally this morning, I went online and registered the card and called the customer service to advise why it keeps getting declined as debit. Of course they tell me because these are not debit cards, can only be used as credit....blah blah blah. Anyone have any real world experience on how to get this to read as a debit even just for a money order so I can liquidate it? Again, this is not a BB issue...it's with the GC itself. Any help is appreciated...^
those are what we called bad apples... don't let them ruin the bunch

apples don't grow in the jungle, but you can eat them there
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA
Originally Posted by jasonvr
That's what I had to do with my unruly MC gift card

You could also load to Target Amex

I just unloaded it via Amazon Payments...which kind of sucks because it took up free spending via a credit card for the month...but it is what it is...thanks for the feedback. Good to know it just wasn't me...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:04 pm

Just another update on kiosk load limits.

- Loaded $1500 (3 x $500) onto GB card.
Went back a couple hours later and...
- Loaded $600 ($500 + $100) onto BB
- Loaded $600 ($500 + $100) onto Wife's GB.

So - I didn't get to really test the limits in terms of how long until the red flag goes back down on the kiosks...but this is more reinforcement that it doesn't seem tied to a particular card or name - as I loaded over $2K on cards in my name alone.

I'm hoping to test again this weekend where I will load $1,000 onto my GB and wait about 10 mins to do another $1K onto my BB.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Try to find a Visa GC instead next time at Walmart. IME these work but the Mastercard GCs do not.
I have never been able to buy any type of GC with a credit card at Walmart. The system simply won't take it.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have never been able to buy any type of GC with a credit card at Walmart. The system simply won't take it.
Interesting! Wm here have no issues selling gc with cc
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
Interesting! Wm here have no issues selling gc with cc
Thats awesome. what location?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:08 pm

tx

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thats awesome. what location?
have no problem in DFW area walmarts...bought visa with walmart name on front and It had a sticker to let you know the last 4 of card was PIN
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Lucky. No walmarts within a hundred miles of me let you do that....
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
have no problem in DFW area walmarts...bought visa with walmart name on front and It had a sticker to let you know the last 4 of card was PIN
thanks for posting this, i am in tx as well, will try in my area and see if i have the same experience...would save a couple of trips, plus i feel like high spend at WM makes more sense than Kroger or CVS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.