Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:40 pm

Keep in mind that your GCs or VRs are like cash. Actually maybe 0.0001% worse, for example we all recognize a $20 bill and if one was traded for another they still spend just fine. On the other hand, suppose you buy a VR or GC and when the cashier hands it back to you, whoops, he dropped it on his side of the counter...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Keep in mind that your GCs or VRs are like cash. Actually a little worse, for example we all recognize a $20 bill and if one was traded for another they still spend just fine. On the other hand, suppose you buy a VR or GC and when the cashier hands it back to you, whoops, he dropped it on his side of the counter...
Call InComm (vanilla flavors) for refund 'cause the cashier lost the VR/GC. Or call any GC issuers for lost/stolen GC for replacement/refund. If I lose cash, it's most likely I won't see it again.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wheelsup57
Well it's reassuring to read that my Walmart experience was not the result of an error on my part. And thanks for the tip on the OneVanilla GC, and the warnings about MC and AMEX. I was lucky that they rejected my attempted purchase of the amex, if no pin can be set.

Thanks also for confirming I don't need to go to mygiftcardsite.com, unless I need to set up my zip code for use at a gas station.

Some people get yelled at in here, maybe with good reason, when they ask questions, so I genuinely appreciate your fantastic response.
IT was an error on your part if you read this thread from the start you would have seen that wallgreens and WM will not allow you to buy GC with CC, now in regards to 7-11's this is a hit and miss.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IT was an error on your part if you read this thread from the start you would have seen that wallgreens and WM will not allow you to buy GC with CC, now in regards to 7-11's this is a hit and miss.
My WG & WM let me buy GCs (WG = OneVanilla VISA & WM = University VISA) with CCs. @ WM, I heard that no MC GC with CC.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IT was an error on your part if you read this thread from the start you would ...
Don't be so harsh on the guy, he spent entire 6 hours to read forum! About amex was the best part )
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Call InComm (vanilla flavors) for refund 'cause the cashier lost the VR/GC. Or call any GC issuers for lost/stolen GC for replacement/refund. If I lose cash, it's most likely I won't see it again.
Not lost, traded (read my post again). Read this, especially if one is easily confused or buys many at once. Good luck!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:17 pm

Not lost, traded (read my post again). Read this, especially if one is easily confused or buys many at once. Good luck!
It doesn't matter if it's "traded" or lost or whatever. You have better protection than "cash" and "not worse", that's what you said. So, if the clerk switches the cash equivalent to unloaded one after you get the receipt, you can get your money back.

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:15 pm

No. You don't understand, but that's fine.

Your advice sounds great, and I humbly recommend you offer it to BBPlaya13 over in this thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21218090-post488.html

edit: wheels, buying a VR gets you the VR and a receipt.
The top half of the receipt might have 503.95 and your credit card number like ****9876.
The bottom half (or a 2nd receipt) might have your VR number like ****1234 and 500.00.
That 1234 is the last 4 digits on the back of the VR, lower right.

Just make a mental note of those digits, observe the cashier, and cross-check as soon as you have both VR and receipt. There's no mistrust, it's just that care is required with large amounts. At a bank for example tellers do appreciate customers who count their new bills. Good luck!

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:45 pm

No. You don't understand, but that's fine.

Your advice sounds great, and I humbly recommend you offer it to BBPlaya13 over in this thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21218090-post488.html

edit: wheels, buying a VR gets you the VR and a receipt.
The top half of the receipt might have 503.95 and your credit card number like ****9876.
The bottom half (or a 2nd receipt) might have your VR number like ****1234 and 500.00.
That 1234 is the last 4 digits on the back of the VR, lower right.

Just make a mental note of those digits, observe the cashier, and cross-check as soon as you have both VR and receipt. There's no mistrust, it's just that care is required with large amounts. At a bank for example tellers do appreciate customers who count their new bills. Good luck!
I understand your point, but you are missing my point. The poster is afraid to dispute with AMEX for the transaction because of the stupidity of buying the same amount over and over and over or >$500 or whatever. If you don't even check if your cash equivalent is activated or not on the receipt right after a purchase or observe a cashier for a questionable behaviors, you didn't take responsibility of your money (as you indicated). And, he/she has not yet reported back. That kind of post is questionable taking as a definite source. I understand scams and thiefs exist especially in ATL for VR scams. There are always people who lie to keep deal alive...for himself/herself or whatever. The point is cash equivalent isn't worse as you said provided that you do your job by checking. Even if that fails, you can always dispute with CCCs. And, I never met tellers at a bank appreciated with the behavior you described; tellers don't care. They appropriate you counting the new bills by giving you a candy? And, "trade". The clerk didn't trade in your example post. The clerk stole, so I don't even know why you are equivalenting the completely different situations.

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 16, 2013 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vagrants
My WG & WM let me buy GCs (WG = OneVanilla VISA & WM = University VISA) with CCs. @ WM, I heard that no MC GC with CC.
You are lucky, no Wallgreens in the PHX area that I have been to (roughly 5) will not sell me GC with a CC.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:00 pm

as someone who has broken money machines at all his local walmarts, if a machine is there at all, life is so much easier when you find a cashier who knows what they are doing.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:42 am

Sorry in advance if this has been answered before. I opened/registered one BB account online, not with temporary card from WMart, received card in mail and activated, everything is fine for my account, although I couldn't replicate the process for family members with in same as my address. The message was saying, can not verify the information, and there is phone number to contact. I thought I made typo and tried again, not work. Every time I retry, it asked for new email address. I also tried with another family member information, still getting same message. They are currently have Amex card with no problem, also recently got approved SPG card with my address so I know their info has no problem. Then I call the number, CSR told me to redo with new email ( which I already did) and different phone number, so I tried again, but no go, same error message. Does anyone can tell where I went wrong? Or should I do with temporary card from WMart.?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
This post is addressed to the a*hole who regularly "hided" ALL the VR cards at a certain CVS store in Washington, DC as soon as they arrived. I spoke to the clerk who stocks the cards at that store why there were no VR cards on the rack. It was because the store manager made a decision to STOP ordering VR cards SOLELY because of you! You created a serious inventory irregularity by hiding the VR cards and the manager didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Fortunately, the clerk now knows who you are. He saw you buying VR cards that you had hidden elsewhere in the store (or maybe that you had even taken home). He knew you hid or stole them because there were no VR cards on either of the two racks and he wondered where you got them from. He told me you are not welcome back at that CVS store.

Thank you very much (NOT) for shutting down VR card sales at this CVS store because of your unmitigated greed and selfishness. Now none of us who legitimately bought only one or two a day and who did not hide the cards are the victims. I have asked the store to keep them behind the counter but that won't be possible since the manager won't order them anymore.

You are pure evil - you killed the goose that laid the golden egg - at least at one CVS store. The majority of FlyerTalkers are wonderful and helpful to others on this board - you are the exact opposite. If I find out who you are, I will recommend that you be expelled from FT for life.

Last edited by DCBob; Aug 18, 2013 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 am

Now that is some serious anger.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by shwepisoe
Sorry in advance if this has been answered before. I opened/registered one BB account online, not with temporary card from WMart, received card in mail and activated, everything is fine for my account, although I couldn't replicate the process for family members with in same as my address. The message was saying, can not verify the information, and there is phone number to contact. I thought I made typo and tried again, not work. Every time I retry, it asked for new email address. I also tried with another family member information, still getting same message. They are currently have Amex card with no problem, also recently got approved SPG card with my address so I know their info has no problem. Then I call the number, CSR told me to redo with new email ( which I already did) and different phone number, so I tried again, but no go, same error message. Does anyone can tell where I went wrong? Or should I do with temporary card from WMart.?
I have the same issue, I just put a random address and call in to change the address and have them re-mailed the BB. Surprisingly, the replacement BB was shipped by UPS 2nd day air!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.