Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PNC Virtual Wallet Funding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:05 am

I know this thread is a few months old, so if there's a newer one that already contains this info I apologize.

I tried to fund a new PNC account today with $2k. Both of my Chase cards were declined. (No, I have not been naughty with Chase.) I think Chase must now be treating these as a cash advance. You are only allowed ~3 card attempts. After that you must use ACH. I missed out on 2k points by trying the wrong cards. Not that I was opening the account for the points, but they would have been nice.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:28 am

Often times these transactions are initially coded as cash advances, then later post as normal transactions. Likely the $2k was over your allowed cash advance amount on that card.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
http://www.offers.pnc.com/

$200 when signing up!
<3 you. I may start just reading your posts, instead of reading entire threads
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:06 pm

Data Point: Barclay Arrival was coded as a purchase. I opened up an account in mid-may for a $300 signup bonus for direct depositing $5k in 60 days + making just 1 bill pay.

05/19/14 PNCBANK NA ONLINE RETA 2,000.00 4,000 (miles earned 4k).

Easy $300 + 4k Barclay miles.

http://offers.pnc.com/checking/tiered/Checking_Offer_B/

I believe there is an early termination fee if account is closed within 6 months, but that could have been Citizens Bank. I've done both recently, could be mixing up the terms...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Use it as a AP withdrawal account.
Are you implying that opening with CC doesn't count towards the $200 bonus this time around?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by y00y
I believe there is an early termination fee if account is closed within 6 months, but that could have been Citizens Bank. I've done both recently, could be mixing up the terms...
You are correct; it's 180 days and the fee is $25. Or at least that's what it is for the $200 bonus account type. Having to remember to fabricate $2k/mo direct deposits each month is going to be a slight pain for me.

Bonus offer ends in 2 days so time's running out.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by airstairfear
I know this thread is a few months old, so if there's a newer one that already contains this info I apologize.

I tried to fund a new PNC account today with $2k. Both of my Chase cards were declined. (No, I have not been naughty with Chase.) I think Chase must now be treating these as a cash advance. You are only allowed ~3 card attempts. After that you must use ACH. I missed out on 2k points by trying the wrong cards. Not that I was opening the account for the points, but they would have been nice.
Chances are it was a fraud alert and Chase froze all your Chase card products.

Should have tried a card from a different lender.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
Chances are it was a fraud alert and Chase froze all your Chase card products.
Without so much as an email or call, and with my full credit lines showing on the site? I think it's like jonnyd said, over my cash advance limit. Strange that they wouldn't nail you for a cash advance when it was initially coded that way though. That seems dicey to me.

Originally Posted by hamhead
Should have tried a card from a different lender.
I tried. But I burned one attempt thinking I mistyped something, and used the 3rd attempt on my other Chase card. 3 strikes and I was out.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:05 am

I used my CSP to open one (end of May) no problems. It codes as "Bank - Retail Sales" or something like that. Not CA.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:06 am

You are correct; it's 180 days and the fee is $25. Or at least that's what it is for the $200 bonus account type. Having to remember to fabricate $2k/mo direct deposits each month is going to be a slight pain for me.
Or you could just float $2k in there for a couple of months... as long as your avg. balance is high enough, you don't need to worry about the DD requirements.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:07 am

Nothing like waking up with an extra $500 in your accounts....

Both my account bonuses posted overnight. The timing of these is kind of puzzling. My wife's account ($200 bonus) met the qualifications ~3 weeks ago. My account ($300 bonus) met the qualifications yesterday. There's no connection between our accounts (we're not joint owners). So maybe they process them in batches? I dunno. Either way, 4k free points from opening w/CC, plus the $500.
Also, I will note that PP worked for DD.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hi - i control four accs, all at the same address. Was able to open the acc for 2 ppl easily. For the other two accs, I get asked questions from my public records. I'm pretty sure I know the answers but the acc keeps getting denied. Anyone else faced this? Any thoughts? Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:42 am

I opened PNC virtual select checking under old terms ($500 bonus), recently they have changed the terms, not it says you have to open this in Branch and you should have existing relationship with the bank. Trying to open checking account for SO.

Even if it says it should be open in branch, does it really have to be in branch? I believe you can apply it online, I'm not sure how strict they are about this criterion.

The other one is existing relationship; What is the quickest and easiest way to establish relationship without any monthly maintenance fees etc, savings account and money market are the options.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
I opened PNC virtual select checking under old terms ($500 bonus), recently they have changed the terms, not it says you have to open this in Branch and you should have existing relationship with the bank. Trying to open checking account for SO.

Even if it says it should be open in branch, does it really have to be in branch? I believe you can apply it online, I'm not sure how strict they are about this criterion.
I've read reports where they didn't get their bonus for online application. whether it's YMMV or not, one takes their chance.

it's up to you now if you wish to proceed, they have all reasons to deny the bonus since the terms are clear.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I've read reports where they didn't get their bonus for online application. whether it's YMMV or not, one takes their chance.

it's up to you now if you wish to proceed, they have all reasons to deny the bonus since the terms are clear.
I have later read somewhere, this works. I have opened MM and in a few days I will be opening checking account. Looking for more data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.