Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2% profit + points at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:26 pm

All the Best Buy near me carry the $200 Visa card. They are usually found in the rack where the Best Buy gift cards are and are usually very close to the register. I have no problem paying for the Visa gift card entirely with Best Buy gift cards.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
To qualify as Manufactured Spending the process needs to end with an opportunity to recover the original cash outlay. There are other Flyertalk forums which are appropriate for discussing "good deals" which lack this characteristic. What I see here is:

1. Purchase Best Buy giftcards at substantial discount
  2. Use Best Buy giftcards to purchase VISA cards at face value plus fee
  3. Use VISA cards to fund AP or similar

However, then I see reports that step (2) isn't viable either because Best Buy will not allow gift cards to be used to purchase VISA cards -or- that Best Buy simply does not sell VISA cards. I would like to understand how often step (2) is viable to judge whether this warrants a separate thread, and whether it belongs in this forum.
Geez, I'll explain it again...

Best Buy Reward Zone is Best Buy's points earning program.

Generally, you earn 1 point for every dollar spent.

You can redeem 250 points increments for $5 in Best Buy gift certificate.

The discovery is that you can earn reward points for Best Buy Visa Gift Cards purchases using any points earning credit cards. It's like double dipping in points.

You can put $20 to $200. The fee is $5.95.

You will earn 205 Reward Zone points for this transaction, which equals $4.10 in Best Buy certificate value.

However, you can earn 25% more Reward Zone points for any purchase once you become a Reward Zone Premier Silver Member after spending $2500 at Best Buy.

Once you become a Silver Member, you will get 256 Reward Zone points for the same transaction. The value of $5.12 in Best Buy certificate.

You can purchase these with any points earning credit card! So you should be able to get at least 200 Membership Reward, 200 Ultimate Rewards, 200 SPG... etc.

Amex and Chase Freedom Cards have ran Best Buy promotions in the past that can make this more valuable.

Best Buy occationally runs 2x or 3x Reward Zone offers once you become a Silver Member.

I've been able to cash out these cards using Amex Serve in the past. Or load onto Target Amex to withdraw or buy Paypal or Vanilla reloads. That's how you get most of the cash back

There are additional benefits that you get from Best Buy by becoming a Premier Silver Member.

Once you've collected enough reward zone points. Use it to buy Amazon or iTunes gift cards or whatever you want from best buy to keep or sell.

If you follow these steps, you will get most of the money back, if not all. And you will gain points.

That's why this belongs in manufacture spending and not in Best Buy Reward Zone forum.

Granted, this may be too many steps for some, but if you want to add some variety to your spend, this may be a good option.

Last edited by Pointsloop; Mar 25, 2013 at 8:30 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:51 pm

<You will earn 205 Reward Zone points for this transaction>

You will earn RZ points only if you pay with a credit card. You do not get them if you pay with a best buy gift card. The original post suggests buying best buy gift cards and using them to buy the visa cards
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tankerooooo
You will earn RZ points only if you pay with a credit card. You do not get them if you pay with a best buy gift card. The original post suggests buying best buy gift cards and using them to buy the visa cards
Absolutely correct.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Absolutely correct.
Yes, that is correct. But my method does not involve buying Best buy gift cards. Just purchase the best buy Visa cards with any amex or chase cards.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I also have success using Best Buy Reward Zone certificate (250 points = $5 certificate) to buy Visa Gift Card at Best Buy too so working on your Best Buy Facebook daily thing does help
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pointsloop

The discovery is that you can earn reward points for Best Buy Visa Gift Cards purchases using any points earning credit cards. It's like double dipping in points.

You will earn 205 Reward Zone points for this transaction, which equals $4.10 in Best Buy certificate value.

However, you can earn 25% more Reward Zone points for any purchase once you become a Reward Zone Premier Silver Member after spending $2500 at Best Buy.

Once you become a Silver Member, you will get 256 Reward Zone points for the same transaction. The value of $5.12 in Best Buy certificate.

You can purchase these with any points earning credit card! So you should be able to get at least 200 Membership Reward, 200 Ultimate Rewards, 200 SPG... etc.

Amex and Chase Freedom Cards have ran Best Buy promotions in the past that can make this more valuable.

Best Buy occationally runs 2x or 3x Reward Zone offers once you become a Silver Member.

I've been able to cash out these cards using Amex Serve in the past. Or load onto Target Amex to withdraw or buy Paypal or Vanilla reloads. That's how you get most of the cash back

There are additional benefits that you get from Best Buy by becoming a Premier Silver Member.

Once you've collected enough reward zone points. Use it to buy Amazon or iTunes gift cards or whatever you want from best buy to keep or sell.

If you follow these steps, you will get most of the money back, if not all. And you will gain points.

That's why this belongs in manufacture spending and not in Best Buy Reward Zone forum.

Granted, this may be too many steps for some, but if you want to add some variety to your spend, this may be a good option.
I really want to love this idea and find a way to make it work. But anyway I do the math, it requires a credit card with 2X or more. I'm not a HH person, so the best I can do is 1.25X, which makes the cost about $0.0125 with some grunt work -- liquidating about $20k worth of $200 GC, plus selling some merch out of my trunk.

I admit I'm not a shopping portal person, maybe there is some way to leverage those to make the math be better? That would eliminate the need to liquidate the GCs, plus there may be opportunities to increase the multiplier. But again you'd be left with merch to sell.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by duc1986d
I also have success using Best Buy Reward Zone certificate (250 points = $5 certificate) to buy Visa Gift Card at Best Buy too so working on your Best Buy Facebook daily thing does help
Really... IME the cash registers won't accept RZ cert as payment towards a Visa gift card. How long ago did you do this?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:29 am

Sticking to the original idea of this post buying up gift cards using Cardpool/PlasticJungle with TCB - how do you get around the Cardpool limit on cashback for up to $1000 in purchases/sales of gift cards? Just create a separate Cardpool account? Separate Cardpool and separate TCB account (since I imagine it would not pay out if it links to the same TCB account)?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by dimamo1983
Sticking to the original idea of this post buying up gift cards using Cardpool/PlasticJungle with TCB - how do you get around the Cardpool limit on cashback for up to $1000 in purchases/sales of gift cards? Just create a separate Cardpool account? Separate Cardpool and separate TCB account (since I imagine it would not pay out if it links to the same TCB account)?
Yes, I have a few different Cardpool account. The best deal is to look around for cheap Best Buy gift cards. In the past year, I have been able to buy BB gc at 20% off at Grocery store (unlimited) or online at Best Buy (15% off).
There are many other ways to get Best Buy GC
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:00 pm

My experience with Cardpool....

Originally Posted by dimamo1983
This might be very very much a YMMV, but that the $1000 limit has applied to my purchases of gift cards from Cardpool, not to sales of gift cards to Cardpool. Again, this appears to run counter to their T&C's, but it's been my experience.

What's interesting to me, is that the T&C's from Bestbuy.com regarding their gift cards is that using gc's to purchase other gc's does not seem to be expressly prohibited, unless you take their statement that BB gift cards can not be redeemed for cash (see bolded portion).

Gift Card Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to both Best Buy physical gift cards, and prepaid codes issued by Best Buy (e-gift cards), referred to jointly as Best Buy Gift Cards. The terms and conditions are subject to change from time to time. Additional terms and conditions may apply depending on how the Gift Card is delivered.

All U.S. Gift Cards are redeemable in any U.S. and Puerto Rico Best Buy retail locations, or online at BestBuy.com where available, for merchandise or services including Geek Squad services.
No expiration date; no fees
Not redeemable for cash.
Lost, stolen or damaged cards replaced only with valid proof of purchase to the extent of remaining card balance.
Not a credit or debit card.
Not valid as payment on a Best Buy credit card.
Check Gift Card balance at any U.S. and Puerto Rico Best Buy retail locations, online at BestBuy.com or call 1-888-716-7994 with Gift Card number.
Receipt will show remaining Gift Card balance.
Physical Gift Cards may be reloaded at any U.S. and Puerto Rico Best Buy retail locations.
All terms enforced except where prohibited by law.
Purchases of a physical Gift Card in any Best Buy retail location or online at Bestbuy.com are eligible for Reward Zone points, excluding Best Buy for Business or commercial purchases of Gift Cards.
See all help topics.

Still have questions?
Get answers online. Visit our Community Forums or Twelpforce.

Contact us.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I really want to love this idea and find a way to make it work. But anyway I do the math, it requires a credit card with 2X or more. I'm not a HH person, so the best I can do is 1.25X, which makes the cost about $0.0125 with some grunt work -- liquidating about $20k worth of $200 GC, plus selling some merch out of my trunk.

I admit I'm not a shopping portal person, maybe there is some way to leverage those to make the math be better? That would eliminate the need to liquidate the GCs, plus there may be opportunities to increase the multiplier. But again you'd be left with merch to sell.
I don't even see it working with a 2% card. I've only included VRs, since from my understanding, of the ways listed that's the really only workable angle for now. What's wrong with my math?

Code:
5 x $200 gift cards =  $1000
- $30 in fees
+ $20 in cash back
= $10 loss

BB Reward Zone points = 1280
+ $25.60

Sub Total 
+ $15.60

Vanilla Reloads
5 @ $200 + 3.95
- $20

Final
- $4.40
If you exclude the 2% cash back and instead replace it with a miles card, you'll earn .024/mile. Not that great. But probably good for meeting min spend...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thorax
I don't even see it working with a 2% card. I've only included VRs, since from my understanding, of the ways listed that's the really only workable angle for now. What's wrong with my math?

Code:
5 x $200 gift cards =  $1000
- $30 in fees
+ $20 in cash back
= $10 loss

BB Reward Zone points = 1280
+ $25.60

Sub Total 
+ $15.60

Vanilla Reloads
5 @ $200 + 3.95
- $20

Final
- $4.40
If you exclude the 2% cash back and instead replace it with a miles card, you'll earn .024/mile. Not that great. But probably good for meeting min spend...
Should be this:

Vanilla Reloads
2 @ $500 + 3.95
- $8

Also, you earn $25 as a RZ Silver, not $25.60, but that's not a big deal.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:13 pm

I've not found a store that lets me buy VRs with a gift card, let alone using 2-3 of them. So I calculated it in hopes that I could use the full $200 gift card on one.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Pointsloop

Actually tested this strategy. You cannot use the $5 rebate certificate to buy the Visa card. So, even if you liquidate the say a $1000 per month on Serve, you are stuck with about $30 in fee and $25 in certificates. I can't see how you make that work to "manufacture" spend in any type of efficient manner.

Perhaps I am a alone, but ideal strategies:

1. You should break even.
2. You should get cash back to pay the original charge

This strategy fails on both counts. Unfair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.