Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Doesnt the circular clearly state that Variable VISA and AMEX are excluded from the promotion ?
Actually, it does not. If it does, then it is in the very fine print that neither myself, nor the store managers could read. Hence my huge collection of gift cards.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:21 am

It's the last line of the fine print. You'd expect it to be in the first few lines considering half of Safeway's visa/amex gift cards are variable load.

Ready, Set Shot! Buy $150 or more in Visa and/or American Express Gift Cards, Save $15 off your next grocery purchase of $25 or more Offer valid 11/4/15 11/17/15 Participating cards include: Visa Gift Cards and American Express Gift Cards*. See store for complete details on offer. Participating cards include Visa Gift Cards and American Express Gift Cards*. The Visa Gift Card is issued by MetaBank, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A Inc. MetaBank; Member FDIC. The Visa Gift Card is issued by Sunrise Banks, N.A., St. Paul , MN 55103, pursuant to license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Sunrise Banks, N.A.; Member FDIC. Card may be used only at merchants in the U.S. and District of Columbia wherever Visa debit cards are accepted. See Cardholder Agreement for details. For American Express Gift Cards - Use Gift Card only at US merchants that accept American Express Cards, except cruise lines and recurring payment. No ATM use. Funds do not expire, Not redeemable for cash, except where required by law. Additional limitations apply. See Cardholder Agreement for complete details, Gift Card is issued by American Express Prepaid Card Management Corporation. American Express is not the sponsor of this promotion. (*excludes Variable Load Visa Gift Cards and Variable Load American Express Gift Cards).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by diseased
Purchased four variable cards plus some groceries and the 15 off 25 coupon printed.
Interesting! I am probably gonna try it today as well. The terms do exclude variables. Maybe someone forgot to hard code it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

So the fees on both Visa and Amex variables are 5.95

What's the fees on the fixed?

Easy enough to check myself, but I wanted to post another thought: Since their weekly ads are making it more and more clear (as time passes) that Safeway and Albertsons are the same company, anybody think to try to redeem the Catalina at Albertsons?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
So the fees on both Visa and Amex variables are 5.95

What's the fees on the fixed?

Easy enough to check myself, but I wanted to post another thought: Since their weekly ads are making it more and more clear (as time passes) that Safeway and Albertsons are the same company, anybody think to try to redeem the Catalina at Albertsons?
The fixed fees are not any different than at any other store.
$100 VGC - $5.95
$200 VGC - $6.95
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:23 am

New promo:

I bought a variable load Amazon GC for $125 and I *did* get gas rewards points on it.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL offer valid 11/18/15 - 12/1/15 Buy $125 or more in select gift cards* Save $15 off your next grocery purchase of $25 or more *Participating cards include: Aropostale, Amazon.com Inc., Bass Pro Shops, Buffalo Wild Wings, Outback Steakhouse, Brinker International, Domino’s, eBay, Fandango, GameStop, Google, Hot Topic, iTunes, JCPenney, Kohl’s, Lowe’s , Nike, Petco, PetSmart, Regal Entertainment Group, Sears, Kmart, Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Xbox. Gift card purchases must be made in a single transaction. One offer per transaction. No rain checks. See gift cards for details, terms and conditions and (if applicable) fees. Subject to availability, while supplies last. Products may not be available in all states. $15 coupon expires 7 days from date of issuance and cannot be used towards the purchase of any gift card or store service. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. The gift cards featured are not sponsors or otherwise affi liated with Safeway Inc.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Safeway/Vons master thread

Now THAT'S a good deal because there is no fee to purchase the cards (unlike visa and horrid Amex) so your ROI is pure 12% assuming you use these merchants. Plus gas rewards and for a few cards the grocery bonus. We spend $$$$ at Amazon every year so a no brainier.

Not really manufactured spend because you can't convert GCs to cash unless you sell them.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
so your ROI is pure 12% assuming you use these merchants
It is not 12% since it is easy to save a straight 5% at Amazon without doing this.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:00 pm

It is not 12% since it is easy to save a straight 5% at Amazon without doing this.
That's true, in fact Chase Freedom is currently 10% for Amazon, so an easy way to get 10% without locking up money.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

How?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by msnut1
That's true, in fact Chase Freedom is currently 10% for Amazon, so an easy way to get 10% without locking up money.
Those with discover double Cashback is also 10% (5%x2), but the freedom would be better to use and easier. For those that spend a lot at Amazon it would be a good time to stock up on Amazon GCs
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by msnut1
Originally Posted by Chelski
Those with discover double Cashback is also 10% (5%x2), but the freedom would be better to use and easier. For those that spend a lot at Amazon it would be a good time to stock up on Amazon GCs
Don't forget that you can get $15 off $60 for Amazon gift cards for those of us with many Amex cards. Depends on how you value UR points I guess.

OTOH, I still have a bunch of amazon gift credit from MPX Amex reimbursements, so I might not even hop in on that.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:41 pm

I kinda agree, but this is at a grocery store, so your credit card likely gives you 5% off, so this is more like a 16.4% discount. It's still not as good as some other deals have been, but not terrible.

Actually, the $15 coupon isn't the same as cash (e.g., you lose the 5% on that $15 your credit card would give you, and you need to spend $25 before the coupon expires), so the numbers are slightly worse. Maybe 14 or 15% total discount.

Last edited by sbft77; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:46 pm Reason: math update
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by sbft77
so the numbers are slightly worse. Maybe 14 or 15% total discount
Yeah, I am not knocking it. But unless you happen to still have an empty refrigerator or freezer(and/or a bunch of spare pantry/storage space), this deal only scales so far. At this time of year, I usually end up buying cans and cans of whatever vegetables/chili/tuna/soup/whatever are on sale that week and donating.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:50 am

Yesterday I bought 3 $500 variable visa, and got 400 "J4U Bonus" gas points (total, not per card; and no other points besides those, and nothing else bought in that transacation). I'm not sure why. In case it matters, the packages were balls (exp 2/2024), boats (exp 6/2024), tools (exp 1/2023).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.