Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
THIS IS A WIKI TO AN OLD THREAD THAT IS NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED!

This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The new thread for 2018 is here.

DETAILS:
Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register. BP must be done at Customer Service/Returns or at the Money Center in stores that have it.
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.
ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction. ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
CheckFreePay (800) 676-6148. - Look up payments using CC number and time of transaction

Standard BP- Once your CFP account is set up, you can add CC. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services. Make sure you get 2 receipts, one from WM and a small one from CFP showing the CC# and Biller name you paid.

WM App - The Money Services works in express lane for BP, but has issues making 2 or more payments in a row. Make one BP, then come back or do another trans, then another BP to avoid issues. Make sure you get a BP receipt in the app and it shows the BP info and the CC you paid before leaving the store.

Some tips: If you don't get a receipt and they have to print you one, make sure the CC you paid appears on the printed receipt. If not on receipt, call CFP with the manager to verify there is no payment processing. They can cancel any transactions and pay you in cash right away. If they cancel the transaction and their cash drawer opens, that means they should pay you in cash, if it doesn't open, the money will probably return to your cards. Not sure what happens on the same day? Watch their drawer when they cancel the transaction to see if it opens. If they say the money will return to your DC, make sure to write down the managers name in case it doesn't.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST (Holidays change post day)
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
Alliant Credit Union Cashback Visa Signature
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Credit Cards - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2017)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Billpay at Walmart(2017)

Any DP on how to use BP for US bank flexperks business cc? I went to Walmart to try it with visa and last 4 of my credit card and it brought up some weird name.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So this is weird. I paid 3 Chase Visa's on Sunday. Two posted yesterday but third hasn't. Anyone else?

EDIT: Nevermind. I realize now that, while the payment itself isn't listed in my activity, the total balance has been reduced. I wish they would do it all at the same time.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So this is weird. I paid 3 Chase Visa's on Sunday. Two posted yesterday but third hasn't. Anyone else?

EDIT: Nevermind. I realize now that, while the payment itself isn't listed in my activity, the total balance has been reduced. I wish they would do it all at the same time.
Was it a business card that was the problem? They take a few days longer to post activity in my experience.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by danpeake
Was it a business card that was the problem? They take a few days longer to post activity in my experience.
Bingo. I hadn't thought about that. But yes this late one was biz and the others personal.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:16 pm

So, intrigued by recent discussion of paying AmEx via MoneyGram (and an appetite to do more AmEx MS than I have MO bandwidth for), I looked up the AmEx options here and found: AMEX STANDARD 2-3DAY (14398). Went to WM, did my usual MO order, then asked to pay a MoneyGram bill. She was very excited when I said I had the biller code when she was ready for it, saying most people have no idea and it takes forever to lookup.

Anyways, she looks it up, finds it and says it's $1.99 to pay. Score! But she enters in all my info, payment for $1998.01 etc but after getting to the end, it said invalid account number. Tries again, same thing. Thinking the issue might be that it was a biz card (SPG), I have her try my OBC. Same error.

Anyone have ideas what I or the cashier might be doing wrong? She is probably the savviest cashier there and I do CFP BP with her all the time. Do you need to signup for a MoneyGram account online first or something?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
So, intrigued by recent discussion of paying AmEx via MoneyGram (and an appetite to do more AmEx MS than I have MO bandwidth for), I looked up the AmEx options here and found: AMEX STANDARD 2-3DAY (14398). Went to WM, did my usual MO order, then asked to pay a MoneyGram bill. She was very excited when I said I had the biller code when she was ready for it, saying most people have no idea and it takes forever to lookup.

Anyways, she looks it up, finds it and says it's $1.99 to pay. Score! But she enters in all my info, payment for $1998.01 etc but after getting to the end, it said invalid account number. Tries again, same thing. Thinking the issue might be that it was a biz card (SPG), I have her try my OBC. Same error.

Anyone have ideas what I or the cashier might be doing wrong? She is probably the savviest cashier there and I do CFP BP with her all the time. Do you need to signup for a MoneyGram account online first or something?
Not all AMEX cards are created equal. Cashier didn't do anything wrong. Either system rejects your card # or it goes through as simple as that.

Technically speaking and YMMV thing, since you are buying MoneyGram MO and using MoneyGram Bill pay, if combined is >$3k, the WM is required to file a form separate from the WM from, but MoneyGram form I was told...just you know.

Last edited by vagrants; Jan 6, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
Make payment to SO CC account?

Can I make a payment to my wife's CC account? If so, do I give my name when I provide my info, but use my wife's CC #? Will this work?

Just wondering if I can walk into Walmart and make a payment to my wife's CC.
Thanks guys

By the way, I made a payment to my Chase Ink+ using "Visa"
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Not all AMEX cards are created equal. Cashier didn't do anything wrong. Either system rejects your card # or it goes through as simple as that.

Technically speaking and YMMV thing, since you are buying MoneyGram MO and using MoneyGram Bill pay, if combined is >$3k, the WM is required to file a form separate from the WM from, but MoneyGram form I was told...just you know.
Not true. Not required. Only currency transactions required.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
Not true. Not required. Only currency transactions required.
Read the back of MoneyGram Express Payment form. How a particular WM interprets, I don't know. WMs don't usually file over $900 even, so depends on the WMs. But, some WMs are picky. Some just love being a cop.

Not true or not required really don't matter. It's a reality for some WMs I used. You know there is no point in arguing with picky WM cashiers, right? Please note that I didn't say MO alone MG form may need to be filed. And, please don't ask mod to delete your comment after you read back of the MG Express Payment form. I think you are the one who quoted a bunch of members on Simon/5B GC thread saying unrelated to the thread. I replied saying are they really, all the sudden, your comment and mine disappeared. If you are going to discredit others, then be prepared for being discredited yourself.

Last edited by vagrants; Jan 7, 2017 at 6:34 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by currid7
Can I make a payment to my wife's CC account? If so, do I give my name when I provide my info, but use my wife's CC #? Will this work?

Thanks guys

If your WM isn't picky, then it'll work. I don't know what CFP/MG is transmitting along with the payment, so I wouldn't go berserk...

Congrats, my Ink isn't VISA but MC, been doing that for a while.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by currid7

Thanks guys

Yes, you can in theory. I took spouse cc the first time I paid it. Card is entered into my WM BP profile with my phone number but spouse name and cc. I pay it every month and it's in the system now so I only give the rep my phone number and last four digits of card I want to pay. Never had a problem.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yes, you can in theory. I took spouse cc the first time I paid it. Card is entered into my WM BP profile with my phone number but spouse name and cc. I pay it every month and it's in the system now so I only give the rep my phone number and last four digits of card I want to pay. Never had a problem.
Some WMs mandate bringing bill stub every time and if something seems wrong like male having female name, they ask for an ID to match to the bill stub...

Then, there is a worry of getting shutdown by CC issuers since many of shutdown at Citi seems to be linked to WMBP according to somebody's summary (I got a phone call from Citi, so I read last like 10-20 pages of 2016 shutdown in the Citi section)....in the past, making payments from SO's real checking accounts to my CCs had never ever caused the problem although I don't know what data is transmitted there either. Better safe than sorry however.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Some WMs mandate bringing bill stub every time and if something seems wrong like male having female name, they ask for an ID to match to the bill stub...

Then, there is a worry of getting shutdown by CC issuers since many of shutdown at Citi seems to be linked to WMBP according to somebody's summary (I got a phone call from Citi, so I read last like 10-20 pages of 2016 shutdown in the Citi section)....in the past, making payments from SO's real checking accounts to my CCs had never ever caused the problem although I don't know what data is transmitted there either. Better safe than sorry however.
Could you please cite the shutdowns from Citi ?
I saw some blog where all his barclays card shut recently.
Probably people here could update the wiki with risky banks for shutdowns.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:32 pm

I've been reading about that. I may lay off for a while. Using my ST DL debit for payments for the measly 4k SM per month. Just not worth the risk ultimately. But I do think they've seen my pattern over the last few years and have accepted it. Plus, my payments are often $3k+. Clearly not MS in the traditional sense.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Could you please cite the shutdowns from Citi ?
I saw some blog where all his barclays card shut recently.
Probably people here could update the wiki with risky banks for shutdowns.
Summary by a member: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26546110-post184.html

The whole thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...wn-2016-a.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.