Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 23, 14, 6:43 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Safeway/VONS - $10 off coupon w/ $100 Mastercard or VISA Gift Cards [Recurring]
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: Haleyb

Latest Update: 04/23/2014

Purchase $100 in American Express Card Gift Card(s), get $10 off next purchase of $10 or more.
No gas points on the $100 fixed value cards.
Purchase of variable gift card does *NOT* get a coupon

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here:
http://support.catalinamarketing.com...pected-coupon/

Old Mar 23, 13, 10:05 pm   #1

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA urine (PP), A3 *G, AmEx Plat, *$G (Starbucks Gold)
Safeway/VONS - $10 off coupon w/ $100 Mastercard or VISA Gift Cards [Recurring]

Just went to the store to get some rations and this coupon came up ...

"Buy $100 in MasterCard Gift Cards and get $10 off your next shopping visit."

Would be useful to those with grocery bonus categories.

This coupon popped up at a VONS store in Los Angeles. Would have tried it but technically doesn't start until tomorrow.
Old Mar 23, 13, 10:18 pm   #2

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood, AA Adv, Club Carl
When will Vons come to Jersey?
vodkashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 13, 10:37 pm   #3

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National Executive
That wouldn't be worth it, since the cost of the $100 gift card is almost as much as the $10 off. You might make a few bucks.
PointsNmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 13, 10:03 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles View Post
That wouldn't be worth it, since the cost of the $100 gift card is almost as much as the $10 off. You might make a few bucks.
Free money is still worth it in my book. Plus in the past safeway allowed the higher denomination versions to go through as well.
TroyMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 12:03 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Except you have a better chance of being hit by a plane than find a Safeway that will accept a credit card for the purchase of a prepaid.
Old Mar 25, 13, 12:20 am   #6

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA urine (PP), A3 *G, AmEx Plat, *$G (Starbucks Gold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Except you have a better chance of being hit by a plane than find a Safeway that will accept a credit card for the purchase of a prepaid.
Never have had a problem in CA.
amolkold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 12:31 am   #7

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,IHG Platinum, HH Gold, OZ Diamond (*G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Sounds like Safeways in South Cal accept credit card for prepaid.

I'm in NorCal and Safeways where I have visited do not want to get paid by credit card....
andante81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 12:32 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
All the Puget Sound area Safeways I've tried (although I was pointed to one possible location via PM I will try later this month) not only refused credit cards, but looked at me like I was Al Capone for even trying it.
Old Mar 25, 13, 10:48 am   #9

Programs: UA 1K, .97mm
I was in Von's this morning. I didn't risk buying a card to see if the discount applied but the was no signage and although I got a bunch of coupons with my receipt there was nothing about a GC offer.
SGJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 2:29 pm   #10

I'm thinking about doing this one. The way I would do it is to use my AMEX BCP to buy the $100 MC GC + pay the $5.95 fee. I get 6% cash back on grocery purchases, so that's a shade over $6, basically cancelling out the GC processing fee.

What I get in return is a $10 Vons coupon (good for 2 wks in the past). However, I would still need to liquidate the MC GC. Now that my local VR sellers aren't allowing GC for payment anymore, the best ways to liquidate the MC GC would be Amazon Payments or Target AMEX. This is too much work for a $10 coupon, but if I could do it 3-4 times, it would be worth it.
DaveInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 2:56 pm   #11

my local safeway running ads $15 off for 2 $50 gift cards...
oozze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 10:26 pm   #12

Programs: DL FO, HH Gold
Quote:
All the Puget Sound area Safeways I've tried (although I was pointed to one possible location via PM I will try later this month) not only refused credit cards, but looked at me like I was Al Capone for even trying it.
Never had a problem at any of the Safeways on the Eastside.
SFOHPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 13, 10:42 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOHPN View Post
Never had a problem at any of the Safeways on the Eastside.
Maybe I need to venture further north.
Old Mar 25, 13, 11:52 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I'm thinking about doing this one. The way I would do it is to use my AMEX BCP to buy the $100 MC GC + pay the $5.95 fee. I get 6% cash back on grocery purchases, so that's a shade over $6, basically cancelling out the GC processing fee.

What I get in return is a $10 Vons coupon (good for 2 wks in the past). However, I would still need to liquidate the MC GC. Now that my local VR sellers aren't allowing GC for payment anymore, the best ways to liquidate the MC GC would be Amazon Payments or Target AMEX. This is too much work for a $10 coupon, but if I could do it 3-4 times, it would be worth it.
Amex doesn't seem to be giving full cb on my Safeway purchases. 90% of my "grocery store spend" is buying GCs at Safeway, yet only seem to getting 6% cb on about half my purchases. I kept trying because I was occasionally getting gas rewards on my GC purchases, but haven't been getting them recently. My Amex Blue spend has slowed way down as a result.
farwest101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 13, 4:34 pm   #15

Quote:
All the Puget Sound area Safeways I've tried ... not only refused credit cards, but looked at me like I was Al Capone for even trying it.
Just yesterday, I bought 6 prepaid Visa cards ($300) at a Puget Sound Safeway with no problem. Four of them were through a cashier, and two of them were at a self-service terminal. And I have done it many times previous, without any questions.

For Safeway Just-4-U customers, you can buy two $50 Visa cards at $15 off. After the activation fee, you make a profit of $6, plus the airline miles. This offer is good through April 2.
Steve in Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote