Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Haleyb
You are not including coupon value.
10 x 5.95 in fees= -59.50
10 x $10 off coupon = $100

+$40.50
Plus points, cash back, whatever.
A $10 Vons coupon that expires in 2 weeks is not worth $10. But the coupon's value will increase if it can be used to pay the $5.95 fee for the next MC gift card... but I'm not willing to try that. I'm sure that'll mean calling the manager over.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
A $10 Vons coupon that expires in 2 weeks is not worth $10. But the coupon's value will increase if it can be used to pay the $5.95 fee for the next MC gift card... but I'm not willing to try that. I'm sure that'll mean calling the manager over.
I normally find Vons to be about 10-20% more expensive than cheaper grocery stores. This reduces the value of the coupon to $8-9, which is still a good value. It may be even better if you use Just4U. Sometimes I use these coupons as an excuse to splurge and buy something expensive that I normally wouldn't.

There is a hassle factor in liquidating $100 cards separately, however. They are also USBank MC so they may give you trouble at WM.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
I normally find Vons to be about 10-20% more expensive than cheaper grocery stores. This reduces the value of the coupon to $8-9, which is still a good value. It may be even better if you use Just4U. Sometimes I use these coupons as an excuse to splurge and buy something expensive that I normally wouldn't.

There is a hassle factor in liquidating $100 cards separately, however. They are also USBank MC so they may give you trouble at WM.
Same here. I consider it basically buying a 10 voucher for 6, which represents 40% off. The $100 spending is just basically bonus. At 40% off I happily switch my grocery shopping to Safeway.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
So is this still valid today?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA AA MR UR
Yes. I just stocked up on coupons for the next two weeks.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:55 pm

Just a tip since this is the last day. Go to self checkout with a $100 and a variable (I pick a univision since those generate fuel points, but you could also grab a no fee paypower). The coupon prints as soon as you scan the $100. Then scan the variable. If they say cash only for the variable tell them to cancel the order and you will buy your gift cards elsewhere. Worst case you get a $10 coupon for walking in to test what stores / cashiers are variable friendly.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HikerT
Just a tip since this is the last day. Go to self checkout with a $100 and a variable (I pick a univision since those generate fuel points, but you could also grab a no fee paypower). The coupon prints as soon as you scan the $100. Then scan the variable. If they say cash only for the variable tell them to cancel the order and you will buy your gift cards elsewhere. Worst case you get a $10 coupon for walking in to test what stores / cashiers are variable friendly.
Good tip HikerT. I thought about not buying the mastercard after I scanned it through self-checkout since nobody was there to help me do the override. Waited 5 minutes before somebody came over.

Also, is the no fee paypower card from Just4U?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:29 pm

Starting tomorrow, there is apparently going to be $10 when buying a $100 American Express GC.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Sounds rather unethical to me. The coupon is an incentive for purchase.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
Starting tomorrow, there is apparently going to be $10 when buying a $100 American Express GC.
There's no point in doing this... unless $100 AMEX gift card gets gas points. I know the variable AMEX gets gas points if purchased with a regular item, but I don't know about the fixed $100 card.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
There's no point in doing this... unless $100 AMEX gift card gets gas points. I know the variable AMEX gets gas points if purchased with a regular item, but I don't know about the fixed $100 card.
You're right, there's no point, especially for people with CCs that pay 5% at grocery stores. You're barely eking out a 9% profit margin.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by darkeststar
You're right, there's no point, especially for people with CCs that pay 5% at grocery stores. You're barely eking out a 9% profit margin.
I would NOT consider that $10 coupon as $10 cash, which it seems you've done to arrive at the 9% profit margin you claim.

It's more accurately stated as paying $0.65 (and 1 quarter cent) for a $10 coupon with a 2 week expiry date for Vons. Sure, a good deal if you're doing a lot of grocery shopping (sans all the good stuff like tobacco and booze), but, I'd hardly call that $10 coupon as '$10 cash'.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:09 pm

Nobody said that it is a money-loser, but with a 5% card like I have, I'd rather just get $500 Visa gift card or even the variable AMEX, which at least gets gas points.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Sounds rather unethical to me. The coupon is an incentive for purchase.
The terms of this coupon were 1 per customer. If anyone here got more than 1 was it unethical? Oh the horror! You are always free to hand them back the coupon, lol. If you want to wax poetic about ethics where do you draw the line? You might as well pontificate about whether debit PIN cash out is unethical. After all, the terms say PIN use is not intended for cash back. But 99.99% here have used a work around to bypass. Or whether MS with a CC is unethical. After all the T&C for most CC rewards programs have verbiage excluding purchase of cash equivalents. You might as well say say the entire MS forum "sounds rather unethcial", lol. For me the coupon was incentive to test which Safeway stores and cashiers are variable friendly.

Last edited by HikerT; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:02 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:13 am

The terms of this coupon were 1 per customer. If anyone here got more than 1 was it unethical? Oh the horror! You are always free to hand them back the coupon, lol. If you want to wax poetic about ethics where do you draw the line? You might as well pontificate about whether debit PIN cash out is unethical. After all, the terms say PIN use is not intended for cash back. But 99.99% here have used a work around to bypass. Or whether MS with a CC is unethical. After all the T&C for most CC rewards programs have verbiage excluding purchase of cash equivalents. You might as well say say the entire MS forum "sounds rather unethcial", lol. For me the coupon was incentive to test which Safeway stores and cashiers are variable friendly.
You're comparing apples to oranges. The offer is for a $10 coupon with a purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.