Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:43 pm

Tried buying AMEX GC today at Safeway - no gas rewards.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i don't have anybody i can pay with evolve and, as far as i know, about the only way to get on amazon's radar for shutdown is always changing your payment by using debit cards. i do not recommend an army of $50 cards for AP.

further, using debit cards to do spend that could be done on a cc WITH points, is not efficient. sure. if you're using a 5% card and have nowhere else to liquidate- but there is always someplace to liquidate that doesn't gut other cc spend. well, except very small denomination cards like $50. they can be done, but too time/gas/energy/patience consuming. there's also a limit to how many reasonable prices you can find at safeway to get the full value out of the coupons- which expire in 2 weeks. i find the better deals are usually on junk food. i ate horribly when i was struggling to spend all those $10 coupons multiple times last year!

i try to draw the line at $200's, but will do $100's if there are no $200's (recent OM deal) or if the math gets terrible doing 200's.
You are using the CC to buy the Debit card and get and additional 1.6% CB on top of your CC bonus. You could just use the $50 to pay off a cable bill or something else. (Unless you receive a higher category bonus on your CC paying utility bills instead of Grocery shopping).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:10 am

AMEX GC

Tried buying an AMEX GC at Tom Thumb in N Dallas area. The only AMEX GC on the shelf were variables, all other slots were empty. I thought it was weird but I wanted a varible anyway so I took it to the cashier to check out. Not only did I not get fuel point but my AMEX giftcard did not activate after I paid. Had to go to customer service and he said that all the AMEX GC were supposed to be pulled and made a cashier go pull the remaining variables from the shelf. He activated a Visa GC and gave it to me. So no AMEX GC at my TT right now and no fuel points.

Oh, and obviously no coupons printed out.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:20 am

It might be separate from your activation issue (sometimes cards don't activate at checkout), but you need to wait ~30 minutes before AMEX GCs are fully activated. I can confirm as I've forgotten about this limitation when trying to dump them immediately.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jar2542
He activated a Visa GC and gave it to me
you doubled your money
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:37 pm

If the receipt indicated it didn't activate then it didn't (and won't). It's certainly possible the card was defective. Safeway terminals are dumb in the sense they don't do any checks until *after* payment has been made. You can mistakenly load $950 to a $500 max reloadit or load the same paypower or univision card twice and it won't complain until after the receipt prints. Manager intervention is required for a refund - it's often game over for buying with CC in the future.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
you doubled your money
I wish. The activation receipt said "not activated" on the Amex purchase. The cashier walked me over to customer service where a manager took the Amex and activated the visa. I only left with the visa so I don't know if the Amex eventually activated or not. Already unloaded the visa.

I'm going to try a different store tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a glitch.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:04 pm

$10 off next purchase when you buy $100+ MC is back. Starts on the 26th. My store already had the displays up in advance. Didn't have time to read the fine print to see if variables are excluded.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:29 pm

thanks for the heads up, anybody cares to post the complete ad?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:58 pm

Here is picture (click here). Says variables are excluded. We'll see...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:19 pm

thanks HikerT, if variables work, that would beat PP.

Last edited by Johnnycomeslater; Mar 24, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:56 am

Bought a $500 variable load MC at Tom Thumb (DFW Safeway) this morning. No $10 off next purchase coupon printed. I did not see a sign for the promotion though so maybe it's regional.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:10 am

Anyone have $200 MC GC's in their area? Randalls only 100's

Originally Posted by knopfler
Bought a $500 variable load MC at Tom Thumb (DFW Safeway) this morning. No $10 off next purchase coupon printed. I did not see a sign for the promotion though so maybe it's regional.
Shame about the coupon not printing for the variables. BTW, In the past they have always been system-wide- Randalls in IAH has the sign up, so i'm sure TT is also.

unfortunately, Randalls only has $100 MC GC's. They have $200 Visa, but not MC. After OM, i never want to see another $100 GC again- pita/time consuming. i'm limited as to how many 2 week expiry $10 off coupons i can use as well.

do the safeway's in Nor CA carry $200 MC's? fyi: this is running until 4/22 i think the sign said...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Shame about the coupon not printing for the variables. BTW, In the past they have always been system-wide- Randalls in IAH has the sign up, so i'm sure TT is also.

unfortunately, Randalls only has $100 MC GC's. They have $200 Visa, but not MC. After OM, i never want to see another $100 GC again- pita/time consuming. i'm limited as to how many 2 week expiry $10 off coupons i can use as well.

do the safeway's in Nor CA carry $200 MC's? fyi: this is running until 4/22 i think the sign said...
I only saw $100 MC & VMC this morning at NorCA Safeways. And I didn't get the coupon for the VMC...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Never seen $200 MC GC's at Vons, only Visa, if even available at all.

At any rate, if variables are not working, then, yet another weak promotion... I guess they figure that with the huge volume sold during the late November promotion (which allowed for variable loads) that they can be a bit more stingy now and folks will still flock for the deal. Sure, I might buy 1 or 2 as I need if I 'know' I'm going to buy something for $10... but, I'm not going to end up with a stack of 200 or so coupons that I'm struggling to use this go around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.