Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by drdrew450
just bought two VRs in orlando, fl
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
just bought a smoothie at Jamba Juice in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
OK, I am posting somewhat more valuable info

I finally found them at my local CVS for the first time in about 2 weeks.
New version ones but different from the ones at 7-11, still the same silver/green scratch tape but black diagonal lines added.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I have never had an issue in availability of vanilla in two nearby CVS stores however last two weeks, there is no stock and I am waiting for replemishment once a week one day after their truck arrives.
Same here. A brand new CVS opened today, so I thought I was 100% sure to get some VR. Went to the store and zero VR, but a full inventory of every other card.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by waingro
Same here. A brand new CVS opened today, so I thought I was 100% sure to get some VR. Went to the store and zero VR, but a full inventory of every other card.
As I just posted, new version of VR for CVS was available now, so your local CVS will restock them sooner or later I guess.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Not true.
You're saying you've found them at downtown locations within the past 5 days?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Yes. same value as more than 95% of the posts (imho) but no laughs!
Agreed. The title of this whole thread has been proved to be inaccurate at least 100 times as well. 90% of postings are about Chicago or NYC (which admittedly make up quite a bit of our population). Maybe this should be retired or a new thread started about CVS/VR babbles.

So I'm not completely negative I guess I'll contribute something. Haven't seen the enhanced VRs come to any CVS yet, but they are at other stores.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not sure about downtown since they're mostly miss with CC purchase, but there are plenty on the north side.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by linglingfool
No, I don't even bother checking the downtown locations. Try the burbs... further is better for your chances.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
First Timer

I have to meet a min. spend of $3K on my new Citi AA VISA for the 50K bonus miles. It is a bit hard to do since we are now retired and no large purchases anticipated. I have been reading this thread on BB for hours. Finally figured out what "VR" and "GC" stand for - LOL!

Just went to the local 7-11 and purchased a VR "Prepaid Reload" and convinced the cashier to let me charge the $500 amt to my CC - even though he initially said cash.

I need to open a BB acct with Walmart - will do this online.

So logistically, please help me with the steps on how to load the $500 onto my BB acct. Do I just follow the directions on the VR and when at Vanillareload.com - I enter the BB acct # as the "prepaid card number" (AMEX) and the VR scratch off PIN #? Sorry for the stupid question - but just want to make sure I have it right since this is my first time.

If it works, I will go back to 7-11 and try to purchase additional VRs and hope they let me charge it again!

Also, visited my local CVS and they had totally different Vanilla cards. The packaging was black with 2 horizontal stripes with the name" My Vanilla, Personal Reloadable Prepaid Card". Says that after registering online - you will receive a car in the mail in 7-10 days. I assume this is NOT the correct Vanilla card to get for the BB scenario - is that right?

Thanks for the help - it is a bit confusing. And of course, I am always on the tail end of great schemes since most retailers are now asking cash payment for the VR cards.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jwerking
I have to meet a min. spend of $3K on my new Citi AA VISA for the 50K bonus miles. It is a bit hard to do since we are now retired and no large purchases anticipated. I have been reading this thread on BB for hours. Finally figured out what "VR" and "GC" stand for - LOL!

Just went to the local 7-11 and purchased a VR "Prepaid Reload" and convinced the cashier to let me charge the $500 amt to my CC - even though he initially said cash.

I need to open a BB acct with Walmart - will do this online.

So logistically, please help me with the steps on how to load the $500 onto my BB acct. Do I just follow the directions on the VR and when at Vanillareload.com - I enter the BB acct # as the "prepaid card number" (AMEX) and the VR scratch off PIN #? Sorry for the stupid question - but just want to make sure I have it right since this is my first time.

If it works, I will go back to 7-11 and try to purchase additional VRs and hope they let me charge it again!

Also, visited my local CVS and they had totally different Vanilla cards. The packaging was black with 2 horizontal stripes with the name" My Vanilla, Personal Reloadable Prepaid Card". Says that after registering online - you will receive a car in the mail in 7-10 days. I assume this is NOT the correct Vanilla card to get for the BB scenario - is that right?

Thanks for the help - it is a bit confusing. And of course, I am always on the tail end of great schemes since most retailers are now asking cash payment for the VR cards.
Wait until you get your BB in the mail and activate it before buying a bunch of VRs(Atlanta had a lot of fraud on VRs and it seems to be only in ATL).

Sign up to Plink.com. It will give you $2.5 in the form of a GC(such as amazon) when you make a purchase greater than $25 at 7-11.

The CVS My vanilla is NOT VR. do not buy it. CVS VRs are hard to come by. Still quite a few in DFW area but plenty of VRs at 7-11.

You can stick with 7-11 VRs ith Plink making your cost from 5.95-2.5 per 500 card.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:07 pm

New version VR for CVS

Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:26 pm

FT and other boards are not a good starting point for newbies in general.
Some blogs are very generous for newbies, for example, Million Mile Secret.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-reload-cards/

You need to get a "permanent" BB first to load $ on it.
You can find how to get a permanent BB on the blog or BB official site.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:28 pm

Yes, you simply go to vanillareload.com and enter two numbers 1) the bluebird account number (which will appear on the permanent bluebird card that you receive in the mail) and 2) the number under the scratch-off area on the back of the VR. Click submit, accept the terms (i typically have to click submit again after accepting the terms), and it will show you a "success!" message.

You are right, the My Vanilla is NOT the same as the VR. Do not buy the my vanilla reloadABLE cards at CVS. The correct VR card should be very similar to the one you bought at 7-11 (more of a plastic placard than a credit card looking thing). It will say "Prepaid Reload".

Once the VR funds have been transfered to the Bluebird account, you can login at Bluebird.com and manage your account (i.e. use billpay to pay off cc bills, pay mortgage, obtain checks, etc.).

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I've read reports on here of stores pulling them so they could replace them with a different security strip. I wonder if that's happening on this side of the country. The western united states was reporting that before...
Still happening on the west side of the country. A reliable CVS has been out of stock for over 2 weeks and cashier says they "didn't come in" during their last shipments. I'm gonna try a few other super reliable CVS stores before I start to panic.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Are you downtown? There are five in the "square" downtown (diagonal formed by the one on Summer Street and the one behind Govt Center T) and they all seem to be out at the moment, although the one on Washington Street had a few the other day.

Mike
Just North of Boston most CVS stores are out also. It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future. Heck even the CVS next to the location of the BOS DO last night was out of VR's. You would think they would have stocked up in anticipation of their best customers being in the neighborhood.
Then again maybe I arrived at the CVS to late at 6:15.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:58 pm

No luck at 5 CVS for White Bean

I thought I had scored with CVS when they were out of cards - service manager said he would order an extra supply and I should come early Friday morning. Woo-hoo! When I got there - rack was chock full of black beans. I showed him a photo from Darius' website. Said they never carry it. Hope one of the 4 I previously tried will carry the new version discussed above.

So far my only success has been on visits to my parents. These country convenience stores absorbed by 7-11 aren't enforcing the "7-11 policy" and let me use Ink Plus. I've only bought one per store cause I don't want to frighten them into checking with management. Last clerk said "You're really giving someone a $500 gift??"

Last edited by roneyc; Jul 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.