Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
I just tried to purchase a PPMC card and after DL was scanned, was told I reached my $2000 daily limit. But I haven't been to CVS in the past 24 hours. Identity theft/someone using my DL for large purchases or?? Have to call the 800 # tomorrow. Hopefully if someone used a fake DL, there is cctv to catch them.
Are you sure it was the limit being reached and not "system error try again later"?

When the limit is reached IIRC it will print a bit of paper saying so.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Paper specifically said $2000 limit reached.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
Paper specifically said $2000 limit reached.
IIRC, if someone legitimately has the same first/last name and zip code it counts...

Chances of that are pretty slim, but potentially possible with a common name/populous area.

Good luck... :/
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Broke the mold w my name. This is either a glitch or someone is using my name fictitiously.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by CWAL
Have you tried re-using an old one you loaded before? My stores (not CA though) seem to be stocked just fine, but they aren't a highly popular MS instrument around here...
does not work in los angeles, ca stores...

when they scan my old card, they say "it doesn't work" (tried about 3-4 times now at 2 different stores in LA)

anybody found any newones in LA recently?

my stores have been out for over a month now...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:26 pm

My CVS has rearranged their gift card rack and are really pushing $5.95 Vanilla GCs now. Nearly all of the $4.95 cards have been removed literally overnight. Fortunately some OVCs are still in another section of the store but that stock will only last a few weeks probably.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:00 pm

Have had good luck with CVS - 2 out of 3 stores let me buy OV VGC with credit cards. I used it to top of my minimum spending requirements on several cards, also for Chase Freedom 5x bonus.

The 2 OV I bought yesterday had $5.95 fee in an affluent area - the 1 I bought today only $4.95, in a less affluent neighborhood ; may be old stock.

All 3 are liquidated already and available in bank account already - 1 through MO post office at $1.20 cost, the other 2 electronically with zero fee (don't ask me how ).
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Have had good luck with CVS - 2 out of 3 stores let me buy OV VGC with credit cards. I used it to top of my minimum spending requirements on several cards, also for Chase Freedom 5x bonus.

The 2 OV I bought yesterday had $5.95 fee in an affluent area - the 1 I bought today only $4.95, in a less affluent neighborhood ; may be old stock.

All 3 are liquidated already and available in bank account already - 1 through MO post office at $1.20 cost, the other 2 electronically with zero fee (don't ask me how ).
lol, may i ask how? if don't want to share publicly, hope u won't mind to PM? TIA
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:02 am

the other 2 electronically with zero fee (don't ask me how ).
Throw me a bone via PM please with sugar on top!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
So why only two and not all three with zero fees?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:32 am

Shameless PM request... don't have a car, so I can't easily get out to my MO places... online would be amazing..
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
So why only two and not all three with zero fees?
I have not figured that out yet. Some cards get rejected, some go through. I have done a grandtotal of 6 so far, and 4 went through - the other two got rejected. I'm not sure if it's some sort of blacklist, or a daily limit, or something else. In any case, I'm happy with the 66% success rate. I'm not doing any large volume, just fulfilling minimum spending / category spending.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:16 pm

Did anyone else get told the limit was 1k at CVS? This happened to me at two different stores, yesterday and today. However, I was able to convince the first lady (she was new) when she told me the manager was on break. Today at a different store there was also a new lady I had never seen, she said the daily limit was 1K but the manager overheard her and said "you can run his" since he sees me all the time. The first store had a piece of paper at the register that said 1k on it apparently, although I didn't get a good look. Obviously 2k went through fine after scanning my ID.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
Did anyone else get told the limit was 1k at CVS?.
Yes. $1k max per CVS store, $2k chain-wide , at the locations that I have been successful at. I did not try to push it more.

Then again, the CVS closest to my home won't allow purchasing any VGC on credit at all, so this is not really a rule.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:04 am

That's a local store rule and not indicative of corporate policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.