Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
Anyone wondering whether CVS started to ban certain ID? I got the same message today after having my ID scanned but succeeded on the second transaction right after (<30s) using my mom (she is with me)'s ID on the same VGCs at the same store... got me worried that CVS might start to watch certain ID with big volume of VGCs purchased in the past..
Got the error message again today when clerk swiped my DL when attempting to buy a PPMC. He even tried a different register, but no dice. Anyone else?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ECCM
Got the error message again today when clerk swiped my DL when attempting to buy a PPMC. He even tried a different register, but no dice. Anyone else?
Worked fine for me at 4:30 EST today.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:22 pm

worked 730pm ET
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
worked 730pm ET
Tried again today, still got the same error. Clerk called manager and he said maybe corporate has decided to discontinue selling PPMC and perhaps they hadn't sent the memo/email yet. He motioned to the clerk that they will need to pull the remaining cards off the shelf. I'm thinking I got blacklisted?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:52 pm

Tried again today, still got the same error. Clerk called manager and he said maybe corporate has decided to discontinue selling PPMC and perhaps they hadn't sent the memo/email yet. He motioned to the clerk that they will need to pull the remaining cards off the shelf. I'm thinking I got blacklisted?
Update: The problem turned out to be due to my DL being demagnetized. Ask the clerk to scan the barcode on the back of your DL with the hand-held barcode scanner rather than swiping it like they usually do and it works perfectly. Can we add this information to the Wiki?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:42 pm

Around my area, they always use the scanner. My DL has never been swiped at CVS.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520
Around my area, they always use the scanner. My DL has never been swiped at CVS.
I suppose the swipe vs scan for ID verification varies based on region. I had never had any problems with the swipe until recently and I was worried that they were keeping tabs on ID numbers for blacklisting purposes. Others had mentioned having the same problem recently and I wanted to reiterate this finding (I had read it online somewhere, but it never got much traction). Should have seen the look on the employee's face when I taught her how to get around the problem...combination of awe and how did you know that...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:11 pm

Update: The problem turned out to be due to my DL being demagnetized. Ask the clerk to scan the barcode on the back of your DL with the hand-held barcode scanner rather than swiping it like they usually do and it works perfectly. Can we add this information to the Wiki?
I've never had my DL swiped, they always scan the barcode.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
Had something odd happen this morning at CVS. I noticed the chip reader was taking longer than normal, it then stopped and told me to remove my card. A small receipt printed that said something about a credit authorization and had a phone number. During this time my transaction stayed on the screen and was showing as still active. The manager came up and called the number and left the phone on speaker. It was an automated system and it asked for card number etc, then gave them a code. They went to the register and typed in the code and the transaction finished as normal. Has anyone else had this happen? I go to CVS daily and this is the first time.
Went to my local CVS and also system printed out a receipt with # that CSR had to call to get authorization. He could not get thru and my CC was never charged ( a Citi AA Plat Card) . I then used my Citi AA Elite and charge went thru and was accepted and within a second the slip that prints the receipt came out saying the charge was denied and then the machine printed out an auto-refund. My Citi Elite was charged the 500+ for the VGC and I am waiting for refund to process. I am going to try again in a few days. The manager could not have been nicer. He did not know why my 2nd purchase was accepted and then denied (it wasn't CITI..I called them and they only saw and said they approved the purchase). No Rite Aid anymore in my area anymore accepts CC, cash only.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
its been a while, do the One Vanilla cards still permit MO liquidation?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
PPMC at CVS in Los Angeles

Where the heck are they all? Anybody have any luck in so cal in the last 3 weeks?

I've been skunked at 7 different stores in LA.... Checked periodically the last couple weeks, nothing .... One clerk told me they were discontinued... I don't want to believe it

Any PPMC data points the last few weeks are greatly appreciated
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by explorer84
its been a while, do the One Vanilla cards still permit MO liquidation?
Everywhere but WM, unless you want MOs at 49.99 or less and then they work at WM too
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by flymax77
Where the heck are they all? Anybody have any luck in so cal in the last 3 weeks?

I've been skunked at 7 different stores in LA.... Checked periodically the last couple weeks, nothing .... One clerk told me they were discontinued... I don't want to believe it

Any PPMC data points the last few weeks are greatly appreciated
Have you tried re-using an old one you loaded before? My stores (not CA though) seem to be stocked just fine, but they aren't a highly popular MS instrument around here...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:24 pm

how to liquidate PPMC cards ?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I just tried to purchase a PPMC card and after DL was scanned, was told I reached my $2000 daily limit. But I haven't been to CVS in the past 24 hours. Identity theft/someone using my DL for large purchases or?? Have to call the 800 # tomorrow. Hopefully if someone used a fake DL, there is cctv to catch them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.