Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Gilly32x
The manager at my favorite cvs has implemented her own role in buying VGCs. This is the cvs closest to my house. I've been going there for months almost daily and they have been the most friendly. It seems the rule has nothing to do with purchasing with AGCs. I am limited to buying only one VGC. I had to ask to be able to do that even.
This is why many vary their buying by going to different CVS locations and not the same one all the time. I know another guy who felt at ease buying everyday from the same CVS and he had no idea how much attention he was getting. Cashiers would talk about him when he was gone. He also was going to the same grocery store to get MO's, LOTS of MO's. That finally came to an end. He burned that great MO location and now no one can get MO's there because of his constant buying.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:10 am

Stopped by my local CVS in Baltimore last night for first time to see how it would go for VGC purchase. Took 2 OV to the register, requested $500 load each, and the young CSR went ahead with the process. Scanned my DL, paid with my new AMEX Platinum, and walked out happy.
That place is never very busy, so I'm not planning to hit it hard and be noticed. Don't want to get marked and lose a good thing.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones so far.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:30 pm

Very strange today. Tried to buy 2 Pay pal at regular store and received alternate tender required after cashier entered last 4 of the card number.

this was in nyc
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by cabby
Very strange today. Tried to buy 2 Pay pal at regular store and received alternate tender required after cashier entered last 4 of the card number.

this was in nyc
I don't know if it comes up at that point, but that message also appears when your card is blocked (such as for a fraud alert).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
I don't know if it comes up at that point, but that message also appears when your card is blocked (such as for a fraud alert).
Just chatted with AMEX... no declined charges on the card.

Note thata during check out after scanning the license there was a long pause for about 1 minute... cashier said it was validating ID or something then it came back..... after swiping credit card it took 2 minutes before cashier could enter last 4 for the card.... so let's hope it's just an isolated system glitch.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Note thata during check out after scanning the license there was a long pause for about 1 minute... cashier said it was validating ID or something then it came back..... after swiping credit card it took 2 minutes before cashier could enter last 4 for the card.... so let's hope it's just an isolated system glitch.
Had a similar thing in LA a few hours ago. Bought a regular OV and the first time there seemed to be something wrong after she had swiped my ID and before I could swipe my OBC. The register timed out or what. Then she tried it again and it worked. Everything took a lot longer than usual.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Had a similar thing in LA a few hours ago. Bought a regular OV and the first time there seemed to be something wrong after she had swiped my ID and before I could swipe my OBC. The register timed out or what. Then she tried it again and it worked. Everything took a lot longer than usual.
Yes, that's right. This has also sometimes been happening to me when buying OVs with AGCs for the last month or so. If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Just reswipe your card and the transaction will go through on the second attempt. The cashiers have no info about why this sometimes happens.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass

this was in nyc
Same has been happening to me this past week at CVS. The first swipe always says alternate tender required. If you swipe the same card again, it goes through. Has been doing the same thing with regular credit cards and AGC.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by sanctified50
Same has been happening to me this past week at CVS. The first swipe always says alternate tender required. If you swipe the same card again, it goes through. Has been doing the same thing with regular credit cards and AGC.
I did try twice. I even see the pending on my credit card. But probably isolated. If it "really" didn't work this thread would light up already....

Pending Charges are temporary and subject to change.
Only Posted Transactions can be disputed.
You have a pending charge on Sep 11 from CVS PHARMACY for dollar 1,007.90
SEP 11
CVS PHARMACY
$1,007.90
You have a pending charge on Sep 11 from CVS PHARMACY for dollar 1,007.90
SEP 11
CVS PHARMACY
$1,007.90
Total Pending Charges
$2,015.80
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:14 am

this was in nyc
Each time this happened to me, it was with Chase cards and was a fraud alert. Text would come to my phone, but once it took over an hour and so I couldn't buy the card.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:39 am

Strange. I bought a the PPMC maybe 3 days ago, no issues. I paid with an AMEX.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:46 pm

Has anyone heard if CVS will be accepting Apple Pay anytime soon? Be nice to use with the Discover Apple Pay bonus 10%/20%. RiteAid and Walgreen's look like they are going to accept it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by skowee
Has anyone heard if CVS will be accepting Apple Pay anytime soon? Be nice to use with the Discover Apple Pay bonus 10%/20%. RiteAid and Walgreen's look like they are going to accept it.
Doubtful since CVS dropped Apple pay once and CVS is vested in a competing system.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by skowee
Rite Aid ask accepts Apple Pay too?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Rite Aid ask accepts Apple Pay too?
Yes, they changed their minds again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.