Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:36 am

FYI: I bought 4 VVGC (Gold Package) at CVS located in Rosemead, CA last night. 1 of the card was tampered with

When I opened the package, I could tell something was wrong. The glue that keeps the card to the inside of the package wasn't there. The card just slid out. Then I looked at the expiration date on the card (6/21), and the exp on the outside of the package (7/21). I contacted Incomm, and all they can do is put in a ticket for me. They can't find out what is the card that was supposed to be in the package to put a hold on the card. So I am pretty sure, the card will be drained by the time they do anything. I just hope I get a replacement card after all is done. I am not keeping my hopes up.

I usually look at the package before I buy. But not so much with the Gold package (or similar because it's sealed tight). So this is what the thief did. they made a slid right about the perforated barcode. Pull out the gc, and slide another one in. and glue it up. I would recommend bending/folding the perforated barcode strip to see if it slid pop open.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sosamo
.... I contacted Incomm, and all they can do is put in a ticket for me. They can't find out what is the card that was supposed to be in the package to put a hold on the card. So I am pretty sure, the card will be drained by the time they do anything. ....
This cannot be correct, if Incomm cannot link the number on the outside of the package to the card number inside, how could they load the card in the first place?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by The Mile Dog
This cannot be correct, if Incomm cannot link the number on the outside of the package to the card number inside, how could they load the card in the first place?
Yup. I know what you mean. I kept telling the rep that. "why can't you figure out the card# with the long barcode" She kept telling me they can't. blah blah.

I know when my OV did not loaded properly. I called Incomm, and with the GC# figured out what is the Barcode # on my package (i had like 4 packages, and didn't know which one belong to which card).

Either way. Be careful buying VVGC, or extra careful.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 am

I bought onevanilla at cvs on 10/23, receipt shows activated but no record of the card. Called CS and got the ticket number and was promised my card will be activated in 2 days (wed), no balance as now. Welcome suggestions only from those who were in the situation.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
I bought onevanilla at cvs on 10/23, receipt shows activated but no record of the card. Called CS and got the ticket number and was promised my card will be activated in 2 days (wed), no balance as now. Welcome suggestions only from those who were in the situation.
This happened to me. After you email them the requested pics. A few days later, the money should be in the card. I called them back to get an update, and the rep told me like 2-3 weeks. I was like wth. the other rep told me 2-3 days. Well 2-3 days later the money was on the card. So check the card again everyday.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:21 pm

This happened to me. After you email them the requested pics. A few days later, the money should be in the card. I called them back to get an update, and the rep told me like 2-3 weeks. I was like wth. the other rep told me 2-3 days. Well 2-3 days later the money was on the card. So check the card again everyday.
I called my store manager, he suggested to call 800-shop-CVS because they have more data at the corporate level, opened with a CVS ticket # and also just filed with FDIC. That's all I can do for now, I think.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Yep, you should definitely stop going to CVS as they will no longer allow you to use your card to buy. Well, at least until you clear the likely fraud alert.
I thought the same. I checked with my CC CS and they could see no request for an authorization from CVS. To avoid alerting CVS CS, I asked to void the transaction and left the store.

Please share if you could purchase of OV or PPC today at CVS using CC?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by anagoree
I thought the same. I checked with my CC CS and they could see no request for an authorization from CVS. To avoid alerting CVS CS, I asked to void the transaction and left the store.

Please share if you could purchase of OV or PPC today at CVS using CC?
there are plenty of other data points in this thread of people buying at CVS with a CC. There are also several other data points of people having trouble with the pos system within the past few days with the new limit implementations, so try again tomorrow.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The Mile Dog
When I had a problem with a stolen VGC, I called incomm and placed a ticketed, I was able to give them a copy of the receipt and photos of the other VGC I had, all the agent could tell me was, they will look into. Just like the OP, I knew the card was going to be drained before they could do anything about it. I hadn't left the car wash in which it was stolen, and filed a report with them and I called the police and had them too file a report. 3 days later I got a call from incomm telling me the card had a zero balance on and that it was used in three locations. I called the detective they investigated it saw the video and went back to the car wash and arrested the idiot.. But it took incomm 2 weeks before I got my money back..

As I told incomm why when I started the this whole thing they couldn't put a hold on the card and all of this wouldn't have dragged on. Something so simple but yet something they don't want to do.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:43 am

FYI: I bought 4 VVGC (Gold Package) at CVS located in Rosemead, CA last night. 1 of the card was tampered with

When I opened the package, I could tell something was wrong. The glue that keeps the card to the inside of the package wasn't there. The card just slid out. Then I looked at the expiration date on the card (6/21), and the exp on the outside of the package (7/21). I contacted Incomm, and all they can do is put in a ticket for me. They can't find out what is the card that was supposed to be in the package to put a hold on the card. So I am pretty sure, the card will be drained by the time they do anything. I just hope I get a replacement card after all is done. I am not keeping my hopes up.

I usually look at the package before I buy. But not so much with the Gold package (or similar because it's sealed tight). So this is what the thief did. they made a slid right about the perforated barcode. Pull out the gc, and slide another one in. and glue it up. I would recommend bending/folding the perforated barcode strip to see if it slid pop open.
Sorry about your misfortune. please post pics of the tampered package when you can. Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:17 am

You can't tell that package was tampered with without bending the barcode part. I can upload a pic but it won't help since it's all opened etc when I got the card out.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
I see in the Wiki that transactions over $300 require ID, however can I use my brother's card (same last name) with my ID?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by queensgambit
I see in the Wiki that transactions over $300 require ID, however can I use my brother's card (same last name) with my ID?
What do you think the purpose of checking an ID is? Probably so the credit card matches the ID.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by queensgambit
If the cashier does not catch...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prasha11
If the cashier does not catch...
And people wonder why the limit got decreased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.