Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:49 pm

I know that an optical scan of the back of my DL satisfies the system. Does an optical scan of US passport do the same, or do they have to transcribe any info?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Brugge
OBCs

Is that Original Broadway Cast? Or maybe Online Booty Call?
Old Blue Cash
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
OBCs

Is that Original Broadway Cast? Or maybe Online Booty Call?
I laughed at Online Booty Call (how does that WORK, exactly?)

But more likely, it means "Old Blue Cash."
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:24 pm

What do you do with the giftcards? would you not get as many points just using credit card for the transactions you now use gift cards for?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by viking737
What do you do with the giftcards? would you not get as many points just using credit card for the transactions you now use gift cards for?
............... wow. You're not from around here are you? Go try out Fat Wallet. There are many there just like you. Save travels
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:55 am

Has any one tried using any other form of ID apart from DL?

I tried a residency card ( Green card) today, but the Cashier was not able to scan the same.

Any one has faced any issue in using alternate ID?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I know that an optical scan of the back of my DL satisfies the system. Does an optical scan of US passport do the same, or do they have to transcribe any info?
The drivers license more than likely has a 3-d barcode on it, and the passport does not, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Theoretically, the NFC readers that many CVS locations have could in fact read your passport RFID. The Feds say that no personal information is written into the chip though, only a unique number that references stored records in a government database.

So, to answer your question, I doubt it.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: United, AFT, BB, UR
Newer DL have this bar code thing on the back of it. However the cashier will be able to override the system when alternative form of ID is used such as Passport, Green card, Wanted Poster, or missing person flyer.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 pm

Anyone used amex gift cards at CVS since the limit change?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris92128
Anyone used amex gift cards at CVS since the limit change?
Yes, on Monday, but only a $1000 GC.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:34 am

CVS receipt shows card activated but the balance is '0'
Anyone with experience dealing at the store level?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
CVS receipt shows card activated but the balance is '0'
Anyone with experience dealing at the store level?
Wait for 24 hours post purchase. If dosen't get credited by then, call the OV number, they will do it for you. It happened to me couple of times.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by PhinTron
Wait for 24 hours post purchase. If dosen't get credited by then, call the OV number, they will do it for you. It happened to me couple of times.
Unless the issue is that you bought a tampered package and they've already drained it. Does OV show any transaction history at all?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by PhinTron
What was the process u had to go through?
How long was the process?
When (how long ago)?
Did u approach the CVS store?

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Unless the issue is that you bought a tampered package and they've already drained it. Does OV show any transaction history at all?
no transaction history at all.
Seems to me card not activated even though the receipt says activated...

Last edited by prasha11; Oct 25, 2014 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:51 am

Datapoint:

Stores in my area demand ID for first card purchased. But purchasing a single $500 card at each of multiple stores doesn't seem to "count" toward $1k limit per 24 hr, even though same ID is associated with each purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.