Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:58 pm

I wonder if the $2000 includes the activation fees? I guess we will find out soon enough
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
I thought this was only a policy change at my local CVS. They apparently had an incident a week or so ago that got a cashier fired. Someone talked a cashier into selling them $9000 in GCs in one go.

Last weekend they were allowing GC purchases with CC, but only as separate transactions rung up by the manager. She said they were conducting an audit. Then on Thursday it was back to normal. Today, the manager said there was a new daily limit of $2000 - she made it seem like it was already implemented. She also told the cashier that the register was hardcoded. I'm just grateful they're still allowing CC for GC purchases at all after that stunt.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pointnoob
I wonder if the $2000 includes the activation fees? I guess we will find out soon enough
Why would it? None of their other limits have.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

As long as my local drugstores (not CVS) on my daily MS run keep selling me 30-40k per day I feel this is not a big deal.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold
Does anyone know if a passport can be used for ID at CVS for OV purchases? Thinking of hitting 2 stores a day using DL then passport. At least that would almost help keep my OV volume at pre-2K limit levels.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:11 pm

CVS master thread

Bought 3k of pp cash cards today. Once the cashier rang up 2k, it looked like she got a screen prompt limiting my purchase to 2k. She told me she could only do 2k. I paid, then she rang up the last 2 cards.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by CrediPig
Bought 3k of pp cash cards today. Once the cashier rang up 2k, it looked like she got a screen prompt limiting my purchase to 2k. She told me she could only do 2k. I paid, then she rang up the last 2 cards.
Strange. I did 5K in 1 transaction at CVS only a few hours ago and there was no mention of any new limits now or in future.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by fappi
As long as my local drugstores (not CVS) on my daily MS run keep selling me 30-40k per day I feel this is not a big deal.
Thanks for your contribution. Be sure to post when your avenue gets shut down so we can dance on your grave then
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
How long have you kept this up, without drawing attention? (From your creditors, not the store!)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:50 am

30-40k per day or per month?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:13 am

Whichever one of you is pressuring cashiers into breaking store or corporate policy for your selfish purposes is a real piece of crap.

Seriously.

Is it worth getting someone who really needs their $9/hr job fired just so you travel in a level of luxury that is in no way commensurate with your income? Taking a bunch of first class flights that you didn't earn and in no way deserve in exchange for making someone lose their job??? What a pathetic individual you are.

/end rant
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigugly
Whichever one of you is pressuring cashiers into breaking store or corporate policy for your selfish purposes is a real piece of crap.

Seriously.

Is it worth getting someone who really needs their $9/hr job fired just so you travel in a level of luxury that is in no way commensurate with your income? Taking a bunch of first class flights that you didn't earn and in no way deserve in exchange for making someone lose their job??? What a pathetic individual you are.

/end rant
While I agree no one should be pressuring cashiers I wouldn't say we don't deserve what we get. MS is work, when your pushing any type of real volume.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:59 am

I'm sure a lot of work goes into planning a bank heist, but that doesn't mean they deserve to get the money.

Not comparing MS to criminal activity, but I wouldn't classify effort going toward exploiting loopholes in the system being equal in "deservedness" to earning an honest living.

But that really wasn't my point in the above post. Hitting it hard and fast is one thing, but there are lines that anyone with a shred of decency and concern for society would never cross.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Thanks for your contribution. Be sure to post when your avenue gets shut down so we can dance on your grave then
Originally Posted by pstravels
How long have you kept this up, without drawing attention? (From your creditors, not the store!)
Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
30-40k per day or per month?
Don't feed the troll
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.