Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Wow, very juicy opportunities for arbitrage indeed! I bet the system in those countries is constantly adjusting, while folks continue to invent ways to game the changing rules (just like we do).
Interested in Zimbabwean dollars?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:28 am

Wow, very juicy opportunities for arbitrage indeed! I bet the system in those countries is constantly adjusting, while folks continue to invent ways to game the changing rules (just like we do).
Wouldn't the flight ticket expense makes this a negative margin endeavor? I think if you HAVE to travel, then this minimizes your travel cost. But still, you are not making money. You are just spending less.

Unless you can find ways around this. Maybe you are a Venezuelan pilot traveling every other day to the US
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:46 am

This is completely OT but due to the limit I don't think Venezuela is in play. Now Argentina is a different story. The spread is not as big as Venezuela but there is not much limit except for the CC limit so you can easily make 30+% off that limit (not sure if you can turn over that limit several times in a billing cycle). As a matter of fact our Argentina contractors execute this (buy OV and cash out) for every trip they make to the U.S. Free money to them since their trip is already paid for.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by andres17
Wouldn't the flight ticket expense makes this a negative margin endeavor? I think if you HAVE to travel, then this minimizes your travel cost. But still, you are not making money. You are just spending less.

Unless you can find ways around this. Maybe you are a Venezuelan pilot traveling every other day to the US
For them, no.

If they came here and bought $2,500 in GC for 6.3 VEF (Bolivar) to USD, they would pay 15,750 VEF for 2,500 USD.

If they converted and took that money home, that USD is worth 60-75,000 VEF on the black market.

They profit tens of thousands in VEF after flight costs in a country where the yearly minimum wage is 4,500 VEF.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Not to go too far off topic but both countries have thriving currency black markets due to absurd currency controls.

I can see it being amazingly profitable for someone who knows what they're doing to buy VRs in the states for use there.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:42 pm

Searched thread to see if you can go to multiple CVS stores and make purchases. Didn't see anything. i.e.- go to CVS #1 and purchase $5k then go to another store within 30 minutes and purchase $5k. Or is this not allowed as they scan your ID and limits you at all CVS's for 24 hours? Then an you use a passport at one then a drivers license at another?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allamerathlete
Searched thread to see if you can go to multiple CVS stores and make purchases. Didn't see anything. i.e.- go to CVS #1 and purchase $5k then go to another store within 30 minutes and purchase $5k. Or is this not allowed as they scan your ID and limits you at all CVS's for 24 hours? Then an you use a passport at one then a drivers license at another?
Won't work.

You can buy under $1k at the other stores but that's it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:42 pm

I prefer to use my birth certificate and show them the bottom of my foot.

Then an you use a passport at one then a drivers license at another?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

What is confusing about the wiki?

Limit $5000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

1) What are u buying for $5k+ at cvs? OV?

2) If any cvs scans your DL, it goes in their system.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:03 pm

My go to CVS was all out of OVs, first time I have ever seen them all gone. Either someone cleared them out or they are no longer stocking them. Time to visit the further CVS.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by kannon99
My go to CVS was all out of OVs, first time I have ever seen them all gone. Either someone cleared them out or they are no longer stocking them. Time to visit the further CVS.
My go to CVS pulled all the OVs a while ago, I was trying to purchase 4 and when they scanned the 1st one an error popped up....2nd one same thing. The clerk called over a floor manager and she read something on the register screen and said 'we'll have to pull the off the rack'. They left it empty for about 3 or so weeks. I went by on Monday and saw a few of them back on but I wasn't buying any.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by 22calbr
I prefer to use my birth certificate and show them the bottom of my foot.
because you're the sole beneficiary?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:41 am

Lol, nice pun, I think.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Anyone had luck using OV for MO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.