Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
Is that the only WM within driving distance? Because "cash only" is an individual store policy, and another WM only a few miles away might work fine. I have 5 local WMs, one of which will not let me use OV for anything, the other 4 of which are fine with me doing BP with OV.
I also have 5 Walmarts. Obviously the one I went to was the preferred as it is only a 10 min drive from home and I could have gone daily for my loads.
I'll try the next closest tomorrow.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by rtraveler
Anyone have any luck buying OV's at CVS's in NJ? I tried two stores and was told cash only.
Then what do you do with the OVs when you've purchased them?

Sincr VRL days, I am lost, Very, very, lost.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:39 pm

So if I'm following this:
1) Buy OV @ CVS
2) Take OV to WallyMart to pay bill OV was bought with?

Is this how it's going down?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by VinVinegar
1) Buy OV @ CVS

Depends on what CC you use to buy the OV.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Depends on what CC you use to buy the OV.
Use AA Platinum Exec MC to buy $500 OV @ CVS
Bring OV to WallyMart and Bill Pay to AA Plat Exec MC Card
Wash, rinse, repeat? Am I missing something?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:07 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:06 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:23 pm

1) Buy OV @ CVS

Horrible idea.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:49 pm

This problem just happened to my friend. He bought the Vanilla Visa GC at CVS and tried to reload it to his bluebird on Walmart Moneypass ATM. We checked the vanillavisa.com and found The card has been activated and has the balance of 500 dollars. The PIN was cleared. However, the Walmart ATM still failed.

Every thing is fine until the final step. After he swipe the debit card for 500 reload and input the PIN, the machine would give back a receipt with information like “debit not approved”. At the same time, the account history of the card on vanillavisa.com has two more records, one debit and one credit, each one with the following same reference information:

Reference:
150100 POSPurchase:Checking:NoAccount $500.00

Has anyone ever seen such a problem?

Thanks,

Yi
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by dingalpha
This problem just happened to my friend. He bought the Vanilla Visa GC at CVS and tried to reload it to his bluebird on Walmart Moneypass ATM. We checked the vanillavisa.com and found The card has been activated and has the balance of 500 dollars. The PIN was cleared. However, the Walmart ATM still failed.

Every thing is fine until the final step. After he swipe the debit card for 500 reload and input the PIN, the machine would give back a receipt with information like “debit not approved”. At the same time, the account history of the card on vanillavisa.com has two more records, one debit and one credit, each one with the following same reference information:

Reference:

Thanks,

Yi
Go online and check the transaction history on the debit card - did the card get approved and then rolled back? That happened to me because of a BIG TIME user error! I forgot that I had maxed my Serve card - so it kept denying my transaction. First I thought WM was going to kill VDC - nope, all 100% user error. Check your loads - I would guess you have already loaded 5K in one form or another.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, HHonors, SPG

Reference:

Thanks,

Yi

this has happened to me, it means the machine wasn't able to make a connection to the Vanilla network properly. go back and try again the next day.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Reference:

Thanks,

Yi
First off this thread SHOULD be talking about CVS, and NO Bluebird...
Second in the MS forum there is a Bluebird thread, and your answers are in that thread....
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Use AA Platinum Exec MC to buy $500 OV @ CVS
Bring OV to WallyMart and Bill Pay to AA Plat Exec MC Card
Wash, rinse, repeat? Am I missing something?
That's how it works with Visa and MC ccs. You cannot pay AMEX with WMBP, so you would need to load to BB at WM to pay that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...almart-94.html
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by raccah
Go online and check the transaction history on the debit card - did the card get approved and then rolled back? That happened to me because of a BIG TIME user error! I forgot that I had maxed my Serve card - so it kept denying my transaction. First I thought WM was going to kill VDC - nope, all 100% user error. Check your loads - I would guess you have already loaded 5K in one form or another.
thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Some of these stores are real annoying. I was told today that not only could I not buy OVs with CC but that I can't even use my phone (Isis wallet) for purchases which is crazy. This was after the other day I mentioned to the shift manager that OVs shouldn't be on the list. She was going to let me purchase until she saw me using my phone (for Serve deal) and told me I had to have a physical card. I left. Went in today and the cashier remembered me. Told me that their supervisor confirmed that OVs can't be bought with CCs so I left. Now I know what stores to avoid (or at least which shifts). SMDH.

Anyways quick question for those who have been turned down buying OVs: Have you been able to buy Visa GCs at that same store? My local WMs are still pretty lenient so I am not worried (yet) about the card appearance.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:14 am

Probably well known but first time I came across it, so....

I was buying $5K of OV at CVS, paying with Amex Gift Cards. After the 6th was scanned, the register forced the cashier (who was a supervisor) to void the entire transaction because some internal limit on gift card use was reached.

Splitting into two sets of $2,500 works fine, but of course 6 of my cards now have no balance as a pending transaction happened before the void. CVS called Amex and were told it will take 8 calendar days to credit back the card and no, CVS cannot get them to expedite it.

So, annoying, because of a limit that wasn't known to me or the cashier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.