Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexx
can CVS do anything about buying in the morning AND the evening? I mean.. they dont track the name / credit card number and then make sure you only buy once a day, do they?
They can tell if you're visiting with the same card more than 1x day. How agressive they want to be in response is an individual store decision.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
my own experiences suggest the card recognition for more than $1k/day of VR purchases is actually register-coded. i say this *even though* i've had my details written down by hand in the past.

for a company that seems newly into analytics as of a few years ago (behaviorally for coupons especially), i was surprised to see that they only acquired the ability to track cards this way over the past few months--or at least the ability to flag it on the register to cashiers.

i have been meaning to test whether a card + AU with the same card number would also trip their 24-hour switch, despite being held by two different individuals.

i'm still ID-ed about every other time i buy at my local CVS, for what it's worth
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:46 am

What about different card but same name? Guess Im just not sure about what information they actually collect about us.. clearly its imprudent to give them your loyalty card

Originally Posted by mrp20
my own experiences suggest the card recognition for more than $1k/day of VR purchases is actually register-coded. i say this *even though* i've had my details written down by hand in the past.

for a company that seems newly into analytics as of a few years ago (behaviorally for coupons especially), i was surprised to see that they only acquired the ability to track cards this way over the past few months--or at least the ability to flag it on the register to cashiers.

i have been meaning to test whether a card + AU with the same card number would also trip their 24-hour switch, despite being held by two different individuals.

i'm still ID-ed about every other time i buy at my local CVS, for what it's worth
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:00 am
Suspended

What about different card but same name? Guess Im just not sure about what information they actually collect about us.. clearly its imprudent to give them your loyalty card
Some stores are keeping a hand writen list of names. It's clearly a YMMV situation and the stores that saw the greatest abuse are the ones most likely to have more control in place.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Some stores are keeping a hand writen list of names. It's clearly a YMMV situation and the stores that saw the greatest abuse are the ones most likely to have more control in place.
completely agree. the beginning of the night shift in a 24-hour store located in a place with low crime rates might be a good heuristic for where and when to find beans.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:33 pm

I actually bought 4 cards (2 in each transaction) back to back yesterday at my CVS. The cashier was new. Today at the same location, I was limited to 1k.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:47 pm

same

Originally Posted by farbster
Anyone been told that they could only do $1,000/day at CVS. I was used to the $1000/transaction, but not per day...

When does Hilton end the drug store bonus?

I was told this too.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by hirenrp
All 4 CVS stores near me are either posting paper signs on the register, verbally informing me, or calling the police directly when attempting to purchase 1k VR with a credit card. Yes, one supervisor when questioned why the policy was cash only, immediately called the police. Twice! VR train is coming to an end soon folks... Start coming up with new tactics...
That's ridiculous, I'd love to see the look on the policeman's face when it was explained to him why they were called!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:24 pm

Went to 2 local CVS in Chgo Burbs, and manager mentioned that they will not be carrying VR cards anymore. there have been many instances of money laundering, their exact words.

CVS VR party is over...!!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Went to 2 local CVS in Chgo Burbs, and manager mentioned that they will not be carrying VR cards anymore. there have been many instances of money laundering, their exact words.

Damn, the sky is falling again?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans

funny cause the CVS near my work recently ramped up the stock they have... party is definitely not over for me.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by huynhc
funny cause the CVS near my work recently ramped up the stock they have... party is definitely not over for me.
Whats your location, it will slowly trickle down nationwide.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
Whats your location, it will slowly trickle down nationwide.
Los Angeles, CA

I thought they would trickle down as a few months ago i found them sparingly then all the stores dried up. Fast forward to this past month and Ive been to numerous CVS from SFV down to the OC and have found them readily available for purchase with CC without issue. Anyone else in SoCal have as much succes as me or am I just going on good days (I have odd work days so I go randomly thoughout the week)?

I don't think I am going to play this game too long, just want to hit the bonus on my CC and i'll call it a day
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:17 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
can CVS do anything about buying in the morning AND the evening? I mean.. they dont track the name / credit card number and then make sure you only buy once a day, do they?
I have, quite often, purchased 2 at the pharmacy counter and then another 2 at the front cash register a minute later. I use a different credit card for each transaction.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:23 pm

I purchase 2k per day, 1k per transactions..all in the same 5 minutes..using two separate cards.

I am in michigan. I tend to hit stores in higher income neighborhoods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.