Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by hirenrp
All 4 CVS stores near me are either posting paper signs on the register, verbally informing me, or calling the police directly when attempting to purchase 1k VR with a credit card. Yes, one supervisor when questioned why the policy was cash only, immediately called the police. Twice! VR train is coming to an end soon folks... Start coming up with new tactics...
Questioning a stated cash-only policy is a very bad idea. Doesn't matter if the policy exists or if you've bought with CC before -- if you're told "cash only", you move on and come back later. Otherwise you're drawing attention to it and are likely to make the cashier/supervisor/whatever dig in further against you.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: hhonors
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I hoped you waited for the police to arrive ? It would look suspicious if you take off after she calls.
Both times she called the popos nobody answered.
Don't remember her exact words, but to paraphrase:
She replied to her colleague "God forbid if there was an actual emergency (or if we were getting robbed), they wouldn't pick up/get here."

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Questioning a stated cash-only policy is a very bad idea. Doesn't matter if the policy exists or if you've bought with CC before -- if you're told "cash only", you move on and come back later. Otherwise you're drawing attention to it and are likely to make the cashier/supervisor/whatever dig in further against you.
Agreed, lesson learned.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
^

The few times I've heard "cash-only," I surreptitiously make note of the cashier (if it's a store where I've had success before) and just walk away, saying "I don't have the cash right now, let me go to the ATM."
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:42 pm

My store has a custom policy of their own - gift card purchases over $100 are cash only. Oh well, there that goes.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by hirenrp
Both times she called the popos nobody answered.
Don't remember her exact words, but to paraphrase:
She replied to her colleague "God forbid if there was an actual emergency (or if we were getting robbed), they wouldn't pick up/get here."

Agreed, lesson learned.
Or maybe she was bluffing? If she threatened me with that crapolla - id encourage her to call them. I have my CC and ID card on me at all times. I am not doing ANYTHING illegal.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
In OC CA, the 4 stores I visit also have a $1000/day limit, but don't have any other rules. They still allow purchasing using gift cards that I hoarded from OD before they stopped selling variable load Visas. There is alot of drama lately from people reporting that the VR game is ending and I rush to my local stores to load up; only to find that it was just a one-off situation.

I know of a local store that is taking names and other info and using IRS laws as reasoning, but it is only 1 out of 10 stores I visit. Even if the VR game is ending, we will soon see the next game pop up. My experimenting with the "Home Fixer Card"is going well and is probably the next VR.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
FYI - A prominent travel blogger posted that as of this morning, all NYC stores owned by Albany LLC are only accepting cash for VR. And yes, it's the store most of us frequent.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Here's the thing: there's always the urge to say, "I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt." So you do 1 more VR. Then you say, 'I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt.' So you do 1 more VR. Ad infinitum donec Reviewus Financialus.

I don't push it on Amex.
Damn. That goes on in my head every day Just one more won't hurt!

I get a lump in my throat if I happen to get a call or text anywhere close to when I've just left my local CVS.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:29 am

Honestly, people are way too afraid of FR. Yeah, it's a pain, but unless you lied about your income on your application, a FR is way less scary than Chase-style adverse action (instant execution).
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
just wondering the best way to unload the VRs? Do you actually use it to pay rent/mortgage/other non-cc expenses? I don't mind doing it but just not convinced BB will send these out on time.. A mixture of ATM withdrawals/checks to friends/family seems to be the cleanest approach.. thoughts?

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Duffman
just wondering the best way to unload the VRs? Do you actually use it to pay rent/mortgage/other non-cc expenses? I don't mind doing it but just not convinced BB will send these out on time.. A mixture of ATM withdrawals/checks to friends/family seems to be the cleanest approach.. thoughts?

Cheers,
Most of us are either using BB to pay rent/mortgage/other bills that don't accept CC, or paying CC directly (most don't pay Amex, but some do). I have three mortgages and use BB to pay all of them. Payment usually takes 2 business days to arrive.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Duffman

Cheers,
pay the cc you got the VRs from.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
My local CVS is now storing the beans behind the cashier next to the cigarettes. The spot in the gift card holder is replaced with a paper sticker that says that the cards are behind the counter. They still take credit cards though but the limit is one card per transaction.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:30 pm

can CVS do anything about buying in the morning AND the evening? I mean.. they dont track the name / credit card number and then make sure you only buy once a day, do they?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
You can do it if you get different cashier or the cashier doesn't remember you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.