Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by wpast
I'm glad to know not ALL CVS' are doing what they are supposed to.
It's seems like each store manager or regional manager has the ability to set their own policy on these cards.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:46 pm

Yea all luck of the draw at each individual store really.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:00 pm

Usually I do 1 * $503.95/ month on my Amex HH. As the game ends during May, I plan to do at-least 5 or 6 * $503.95 this month, April and until May billing cycle. Will this be too risky? I also occasionally spend on Gas and grocery.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by MileLife
Usually I do 1 * $503.95/ month for my Amex HH. As the game ends during May, I plan to do at-least 6 * $503.95 this month, April and until May billing cycle. Will this be too risky? I also occasionally spend on Gas and grocery.

Depends on your profile...no one can answer if it'll be too risky for "you" But fwiw, I've put $9K and $7K in beans on AmexHH in the last two months and haven't had any issues. I do have other daily spend on it as well. But, YMMV.

Last edited by tsmith12; Mar 19, 2013 at 9:06 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MileLife
Usually I do 1 * $503.95/ month on my Amex HH. As the game ends during May, I plan to do at-least 5 or 6 * $503.95 this month, April and until May billing cycle. Will this be too risky? I also occasionally spend on Gas and grocery.
Here's the thing: there's always the urge to say, "I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt." So you do 1 more VR. Then you say, 'I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt.' So you do 1 more VR. Ad infinitum donec Reviewus Financialus.

I don't push it on Amex.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Here's the thing: there's always the urge to say, "I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt." So you do 1 more VR. Then you say, 'I haven't gotten FR'ed yet, so 1 more won't hurt.' So you do 1 more VR. Ad infinitum donec Reviewus Financialus.

I don't push it on Amex.
I try to avoid getting 2x500 and thus having the 1007.90 charge over and over again. I have vast numbers of charges between 950 and 995 however!

It may be wasted cleverness, but if they filter on 1007.90 charges I'm good
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
$1k per transaction has been the rule at most of mine. I've never tried to do the AM/PM thing. I doubt CVS has the systems in place to enforce a daily limit, other than by staff people recognizing you.
While they may not have a very sophisticated system in place for this believe me if a store wants to enforce a $1K per person per day they can and they will. It won't lead to anything good trying to circumvent their rules.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:41 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
All depends upon the CVS store and clerk ringing you out. I've both $2,000 in one trip with two separate $1,000 transactions and then had times at the same store when the clerk only let me buy $1,000. Some clerks know what they are doing, others you have to walk them through the process and even the manager doesn't know what's up.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by greendx
While they may not have a very sophisticated system in place for this believe me if a store wants to enforce a $1K per person per day they can and they will. It won't lead to anything good trying to circumvent their rules.
CVS could use a more sophisticated system, like a national database and monthly limits. I've run into some CVS employees who appear to be getting kickbacks from the churners. I assume that's against CVS policy and might get them fired.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
But what do I do with all my paper certificate shares of Cyberrebate Toys.com and Worldcomm ?
Frame 'em. They make great collectors' items.

Mike
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:18 am

No problems where I am. I usually get 2 VR and a few items I was originally going there for.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by farbster
Anyone been told that they could only do $1,000/day at CVS. I was used to the $1000/transaction, but not per day...

When does Hilton end the drug store bonus?
Yes - I just chatted with the manager of my local CVS, who confirmed that there is a $1,000 per person per day limit on beans. She showed me a memo (which also cited that purchasers using a CC must show ID) and explained that they have been moved to behind the registers as a result of this limit (and previously lax enforcement)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:13 am

Blessed

Originally Posted by timmy83
Yes - I just chatted with the manager of my local CVS, who confirmed that there is a $1,000 per person per day limit on beans. She showed me a memo (which also cited that purchasers using a CC must show ID) and explained that they have been moved to behind the registers as a result of this limit (and previously lax enforcement)
Just be blessed that your CVS still has them. I have 4 somewhat around me and three have been empty for a few months. The one store only has a few and don't tell anyone but I hide them!

Last edited by gohogs34; Mar 20, 2013 at 8:14 am Reason: ok
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by ddallas
It's seems like each store manager or regional manager has the ability to set their own policy on these cards.
Yup. I bought two cards last night and happened to get the duty manager on the register and he looked at me handing over two Vanilla cards and two AA credit cards and just smiled and asked, "Airline miles?"
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:19 am

CVS now $1k/day?

I had on CVS manager tell me I couldn't buy any more. It made me sad because I drive past his store 4 times a day. Luckily there are a dozen stores within 10 miles of me. Different silly rules at most of them but if I hit the closest 7 stores I can spend 10k total in about 90 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.