Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Pharmacy Bean Locations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:38 pm

Anyone found any beans near SNA? It's like a desert out here....
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinguy
Only one cvs near me that takes cc. They have been sold out for a month. Hope that changes soon.
I know there are some CVS's in San Diego that have them but they are closer in the where you are.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinguy
Only one cvs near me that takes cc. They have been sold out for a month. Hope that changes soon.
We have a few in the northern parts that readily stock them and allow my parents to grab many at a time. They have the best luck with going East near Westview area (same with that 7/11). I don't know if that's close to you, but if you can do multiple at a time, you can stock up at once.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:42 pm

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/1...s-family-fare/
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:14 pm

love the circles and arrows. I think he does that just to annoy the FT crowd. I know i would.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Not at the 7-Eleven at 9th & J in San Diego. I tried to buy just one. The cashier had no problem accepting my Chase CC, but the cash register declined it. I then tried an Amex CC and even my SunTrust SkyMiles Debit card there. All were declined! And it was not the merchant declining the purchase - I checked with Amex and they had not declined any purchases I attempted.

So it's apparent that at least one 7-Eleven has the register programmed to decline all purchases of VR cards (and probably gift cards as well) using a credit or debit card.

Anyone else have a similar experience at 7-Eleven recently?

I can confirm same in rural S Texas near my parents' home. There is a country store that joined 7-11 earlier this year. Long after the urban 7-11clerks immediately intercepted my VR transaction with curt "cash only" this little store could be counted on for 3-4 cards during a weekend visit. Returned today and it now sports a huge 7-11 sign at the driveway and register wouldn't accept any cc transactions, even though the same manager tried 3-4 different cards for me. Since I was also purchasing gas and a snack, we eventually went back to my Ink card, minus the VR, and transaction sailed through. Looks like registers are now hard coded against cc.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Anacreon
I'm in central Minnesota and learned today that VRs have been pulled from the racks at my local SuperAmerica gas stations because of a "money laundering scandal." SuperAmerica stores are located in Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota (our version of 7-11). Anyone in these places still find VRs on the rack?
I heard the same thing recently. But what I don't know is if people who are not involved in mafia-like activities like us, who just want to ramp up our miles are the target of this investigation or if there really are some bad people out here using beans to move money under the radar. I really hope its just not a witch hunt against anyone who buys more vr's than some arbitrary number that someone in power decides is the maximum number that a normal person should buy.

Do you know how wide the net is that they are casting?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:34 am

Non Pharmacy Bean Locations

The SAs near me in the Cities have taken down all prepaids and reloadables (GD VR etc). 2 weeks ago I was able to buy at one in central Wisc though. Pretty sure this option is over.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
I heard the same thing recently. But what I don't know is if people who are not involved in mafia-like activities like us, who just want to ramp up our miles are the target of this investigation or if there really are some bad people out here using beans to move money under the radar. I really hope its just not a witch hunt against anyone who buys more vr's than some arbitrary number that someone in power decides is the maximum number that a normal person should buy.

Do you know how wide the net is that they are casting?
I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes there is some regulation to require some form of nominal tracking of high value cash transfer products like VR. To much hassle for small stores to deal with, which is where I think CVS's approach is genius. They can comply and not hamper business.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:14 pm

Strange things are afoot...

Data point: Purchased VR with CC at a major, non-numerical gas & convenience store tonight.

No clue whether it will qualify as gas purchase, as was the case with its numerical rival. But it happened, and they did not act surprised.

And no clue as to whether this is also the case at other locations. But why be a couch-tard? Go investigate the nearest one yourself!

Want another hint? They're not even on the list that VR supplies. No, I won't post ap link to that list because you should have it bookmarked.

OK, four clues, really too many.

Last edited by AveApostle; Oct 21, 2013 at 7:16 pm Reason: too many clues
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by AveApostle
Data point: Purchased VR with CC at a major, non-numerical gas & convenience store tonight.

No clue whether it will qualify as gas purchase, as was the case with its numerical rival. But it happened, and they did not act surprised.

And no clue as to whether this is also the case at other locations. But why be a couch-tard? Go investigate the nearest one yourself!

Want another hint? They're not even on the list that VR supplies. No, I won't post ap link to that list because you should have it bookmarked.

OK, four clues, really too many.
Thx.

Last edited by TKKY; Oct 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm Reason: silly
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
FYI, I just realized that Beans were available at my local gas station and it isn't a 7-11. It's in the list on the website and sounds like it could be in the Simpsons. NY (Upstate), PA & OH chain.

They did want to verify my ID matched my card because they recently had somebody buying several of these over a couple week span with a stolen credit card.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:13 pm

Noticed HEB on list of VR locations. Happened to be shopping there today so gave it a try. Cashier was only too willing but register came up with large red warning that she was trying to total out with disallowed method of payment. It even broke out the total of the accompanying groceries in case I wanted to pay for those with cc plus cash for VR.

Does anyone know if HEB policy has this hard stop at all its stores? There is another one in a small town I frequently visit and I wonder if it's worth a trip to check it out.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by roneyc
Noticed HEB on list of VR locations. Happened to be shopping there today so gave it a try. Cashier was only too willing but register came up with large red warning that she was trying to total out with disallowed method of payment. It even broke out the total of the accompanying groceries in case I wanted to pay for those with cc plus cash for VR.

Does anyone know if HEB policy has this hard stop at all its stores? There is another one in a small town I frequently visit and I wonder if it's worth a trip to check it out.

I had the same experience in 3 different HEB stores in central TX, no luck.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Several dozen
Might try buying HEB gift cards to get beans. Can't tell you if it will work as I have retired to Florida.

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I had the same experience in 3 different HEB stores in central TX, no luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.