Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, there is no reason to sue a bank for shutting down customer accounts for suspicious activities for bankers know what is a suspicious activity. The nature of banking requires banks to look for suspicious activities. As proof I offer all the banks caught gaming LIBOR rates, money laundering, redlining and illegally foreclosing on home.

Bankers are experts when it comes to suspicious activities.

"Ask now not why banks shut down accounts for suspicious activity, but rather why so few banks have been shut down for suspicious activity" (to paraphrase President Kennedy).

Originally Posted by Mamibear
IMO, anyone who's depositing a huge amount of MOs per day/week/month (that can't be justified by a business or having high income) should think more than twice about suing any bank that shuts them down for reasons of suspicious activities. The negative report to chexsystem is just secondary and it may/may not happen with the bank shutdown. I understand this country is sue-happy and many will sue for anything and everything but hopefully MSers would use their best judgment before filing a case where they're opening their financial records to scrutiny.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
As proof I offer all the banks caught gaming LIBOR rates, money laundering, redlining and illegally foreclosing on home.

Bankers are experts when it comes to suspicious activities.
Exactly this. Given their record, I have no qualms legally exploiting the loopholes the banks present. On Wall Street, the equivalent of churning or MSing would get you a huge bonus.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Meh - leave it to the lawyerfolk to encourage MS folk to mount an MS insanity defense when we know that in the looking glass world of MS, the activities IkeEsq mentions are entirely rational and profitable.
One of many reasons I'll probably never be on a jury.

Last edited by IkeEsq; May 25, 2016 at 3:35 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 26, 2016, 8:17 am

It is shocking:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-evidence.html
Old May 26, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by livelovelaugh00
Pffft. That is barely the tip of the iceberg. Next time the cops stop you with your $50K of MOs or a few cases worth of $1 coins . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/
Old May 26, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by livelovelaugh00
The article says nothing about what subsequently happened in the case.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:36 pm

Do MOs fall under structuring if one purchased more than 10k and deposited them into multiple banks?

Aren't MOs checks? So they are not cash that fall under structuring?
Old May 26, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Do MOs fall under structuring if one purchased more than 10k and deposited them into multiple banks?

Aren't MOs checks? So they are not cash that fall under structuring?
They appear to fall under a special category. Strictly speaking, you are correct. When just the pure cash transaction rules are considered, they do not likely meet the definition of cash that causes the bank to do Currency Transaction Reports or entries in its Daily Monetary Log. So the form of the transactions would not likely cause the depositor to be a "structurer", although there have been reports of banks mentioning structuring concerns when discussing money order deposits with customers.

The big problem occurs because the regulatory guidance to banks requires them to give special scrutiny to money orders in determining whether the bank should file Suspicious Activity Reports. Money orders can be purchased with cash, and if money orders had no compliance issues, the guy who does not want to get a CTR filed by depositing $11,000 in cash, and does not want to be a felonious structurer by making subsequent cash deposits of $9,000 and $2,000, could use that $11,000 of cash to buy 11 money orders of $1,000 each and deposit them. Both the money order issuer and the bank accepting them as deposits can be fined if an examiner believes that SARs should have been filed. In other words, the bank is almost required to assume that money orders were purchased with cash when evaluating whether a SAR should be filed. So many banks close accounts when a lot of money orders are deposited. Of course, most don't close accounts. There are no easy answers.

If you ran a bank, you would probably close the deposit accounts of most FTers. There is little profit from the accounts and the possibility of fines.

And you would be amazed at how little most bankers really know about this stuff. I found a bank that allowed CDs to be opened at $5,000 a pop with a credit card. The deal is gone now, so no PMs please. I got a call from someone at the bank who asked very specific textbook, leading questions regarding structuring. I actually sent him written guidance on structuring to show him that credit card funding run as a purchase is most definitely not considered a cash deposit. I hated to do that, because one of the guidelines in filing a SAR is that the customer indicates that he has knowledge of SARs! How is that for Orweillian? But the point I am making is that bankers are not that knowledgeable about this stuff, their concern is minimizing their own potential fines, and their easiest solution to a potential problem is to close accounts.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
MO are noted as Cash on your deposit...with your bank...
Old May 26, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
MO are noted as Cash on your deposit...with your bank...
My deposits are categorized under check deposits online and on my monthly statements (separate from cash deposits). They even have front/back images for me to see.

Not sure if this was what you meant tho.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:17 pm

Money orders are not checks. Money orders are normally bearer instruments, meaning that they can be cashed by whomever has them, while checks can normally only be cashed by the Payee listed on the "To" line.

See https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...iable-monetary for information on what is considered a negotiable monetary instrument for reporting purposes, at least to Customs and Border Protection.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

delete
Old May 26, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Money orders are not checks. Money orders are normally bearer instruments, meaning that they can be cashed by whomever has them, while checks can normally only be cashed by the Payee listed on the "To" line.

See https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...iable-monetary for information on what is considered a negotiable monetary instrument for reporting purposes, at least to Customs and Border Protection.

I am not an attorney to a bank or anything but reading your link it sounds like that is internal policy (ie agency rules) for bringing monetary instruments into the US through CBP. I don't believe these rules or definitions are pertinent to banks ( or other govt agencies). I for one am certainly not gonna challenge my bank's categorization of money orders as checks.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by TopSpin46
I am not an attorney to a bank or anything but reading your link it sounds like that is internal policy (ie agency rules) for bringing monetary instruments into the US through CBP. I don't believe these rules or definitions are pertinent to banks ( or other govt agencies). I for one am certainly not gonna challenge my bank's categorization of money orders as checks.
It might depend on whether or not they have a payee or other factors. I didn't have time to try to find a good IRS/FinCen definition but I'll look around.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Legally, it is a check.

UCC § 3-104 (f) states that

"Check" means (i) a draft, other than a documentary draft, payable on demand and drawn on a bank or (ii) a cashier's check or teller's check. An instrument may be a check even though it is described on its face by another term, such as "money order."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.