Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by nowstime
Visited a local walmart and got $2000 in MO using 4 gcs. Was told to fill out SAR and filled it out.

Did I make a stupid mistake. They said in order to use gift card to purchase MO, it must be filled out but I didn't get a chance to browse the report since they said it has to filled out by them. Got to work and saw the SAR and seems like they should have not collected any of my information.

Will IRS be knocking on my door? Does this get recorded some where?
Why do they know you are using gift cards? You tell them 2 $1000 MO, when they tell you $2001.40, you tell them $500 on a debit card, swipe your gc, repeat 3 times and give them $1.40 in cash. No mention of gift cards.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Why do they know you are using gift cards? You tell them 2 $1000 MO, when they tell you $2001.40, you tell them $500 on a debit card, swipe your gc, repeat 3 times and give them $1.40 in cash. No mention of gift cards.
Today I walked into Walmart and loudly proclaimed...

Hello, cashiers, one and all!
I bring to you gift cards, some from a mall!

In exchange I only require of you,
To press five hundred debit, until you turn blue!

I promise to fill all the forms that you ask,
As long as you let me complete my task.

I need only buy MOs, twelve grand today,
But tomorrow I'm using your CheckFreePay.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Today I walked into Walmart and loudly proclaimed...

Hello, cashiers, one and all!
I bring to you gift cards, some from a mall!

In exchange I only require of you,
To press five hundred debit, until you turn blue!

I promise to fill all the forms that you ask,
As long as you let me complete my task.

I need only buy MOs, twelve grand today,
But tomorrow I'm using your CheckFreePay.
Nice.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:40 pm

I would say most of the CSRs in my area know it is VGCs in action if you mention the magic words "split" and "500". A lot of them just don't care but few might make a big deal about it.

Originally Posted by gw14
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
That's false but u can believe if u want
If you ask in a nice,polite manner, most cashier/reps would oblige and they don't give you a hard time unless technology prevents them. This is my experience anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:24 pm

If you ask in a nice,polite manner, most cashier/reps would oblige and they don't give you a hard time unless technology prevents them. This is my experience anyway.
It doesn't matter if u are nice or polite. What was said is still false, but you can believe if I so choose.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:21 pm

I'm reminded of the phrase six of one, half a dozen of the other when people say they cajole WM cashiers to allow them to do separate transactions so as to go around filling of forms and still buying more MOs. Sometimes they win, but if you encounter one that sticks to the policy, your plan is busted. Nothing personal, try your luck again
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:53 am

It doesn't matter if u are nice or polite. What was said is still false, but you can believe if I so choose.
Many will tell you, niceness goes long and can do wonders! WM Cashiers are no exception. Give it a go.

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan

I've said this before and I will say it again: It's not about HOW MUCH but about HOW you approach the retailers.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're really not getting it. Chelski is saying only that the initial claim you made is false:

nfpa70e -- "Anything over 2K you have to fill out the forms."

$2K is not the limit before a form is required -- it depends on the store. Your advice about being nice is irrelevant to the false claim, and Chelski isn't arguing against that, anyway.

In my experience many are now $2k, but some are higher. I still have 3 $3K stores, but at one it is only $2K if I get a certain cashier.

At a few stores I've seen the manuals and the read the limits myself. As late as last fall, one of the $3K stores was $10K and another was $6K. It appears to be up to the management of that store, although I wouldn't discount a directive from WM at any time. As far as I know, that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 9, 2016 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You're really not getting it. Chelski is saying only that the initial claim you made is false:

nfpa70e -- "Anything over 2K you have to fill out the forms."

$2K is not the limit before a form is required -- it depends on the store. Your advice about being nice is irrelevant to the false claim, and Chelski isn't arguing against that, anyway.

In my experience many are now $2k, but some are higher. I still have 3 $3K stores, but at one it is only $2K if I get a certain cashier.

At a few stores I've seen the manuals and the read the limits myself. As late as last fall, one of the $3K stores was $10K and another was $6K. It appears to be up to the management of that store, although I wouldn't discount a directive from WM at any time. As far as I know, that hasn't happened yet.
My WM are all 'I Don't Know'K stores.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
It appears to be up to the management of that store, although I wouldn't discount a directive from WM at any time.
This is right on. They can demand the firm filled out for any value of money order whether it be $50 or $3000 or $2000. There is no hard and fast $2k cut off. Further splitting into multiple transaction doesn't make then purchases somehow less. If you buy 2 $1k MOs in one transaction vs 2 separate transactions for $1k each ten it's still a $2k purchase. The rules have nothing to do with the level of niceness.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
This is right on. They can demand the firm filled out for any value of money order whether it be $50 or $3000 or $2000. There is no hard and fast $2k cut off. Further splitting into multiple transaction doesn't make then purchases somehow less. If you buy 2 $1k MOs in one transaction vs 2 separate transactions for $1k each ten it's still a $2k purchase. The rules have nothing to do with the level of niceness.
So far, I have kept all of my MO purchases at the $2000 per store level and I have a lot of WMs (8) available for use (and I don't do very much activity per month) so if a store sees me more than once a month, that is a lot.
I have yet to fill out a form or even be asked for ID. Being nice however makes it easier to complete the transaction without issue.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Being nice however makes it easier to complete the transaction without issue.

Whether I get 1 MO, 2 MO, no MO, rules, no rules, I still try to be nice and polite with the employees and reps. That's the bottom line.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:21 pm

So
You do know the form at Walmart is not a SAR right? Niceness has nothing to do with it. But you and newyorker can imagine what u want

Last edited by Chelski; Feb 9, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:32 pm

There is no hard and fast $2k cut off. Further splitting into multiple transaction doesn't make then purchases somehow less. If you buy 2 $1k MOs in one transaction vs 2 separate transactions for $1k each ten it's still a $2k purchase. The rules have nothing to do with the level of niceness.
Not correct. Read my post correctly I said, if computer asks for ID then the rep is going to ask for it, this is what happened to me when I asked for 2K MO. I don't know what the exact coding is whether it is 1100 or 1900. I assumed it is 2K based on my experience. When I get 1K MO, they don't ask for anything, when I asked for 2K, they asked for ID, I decided to be polite and respectful and got 2 X 1K MO instead and they didn't ask for my ID. If what you are saying is correct, then this would have never worked. Computer would prevent them. This works for me, I have tried this several times. In nutshell, 2 X1K MO and no id is required, 1X2K, MO and Id is required. Simple.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 9, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.