FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

Andy2 Jul 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kirax2 (Post 21170726)
Personally, I purchase, and deposit, money orders in increments of no more than $2000 at a time because I don't feel comfortable carrying more than that around with me. I don't like to fill out my money orders immediately, because I don't always know if I'll want to deposit them or use them to pay a bill, etc, but this means that they are vulnerable to theft, like a blank signed check. So I purchase $2000 at a time, take them home, and next time I'm heading to the bank I take $2000 in money orders with me, fill them out when I get there, and deposit them.

And so I will explain, if anyone ever asks me why I don't purchase or deposit more than $2000 at a time. It's not an avoidance of paperwork issue; it's because carrying that much money at a time makes me nervous.

I agree. That walk from the WalMart Money Center to the car is more dangerous than many people realize. If someone steals your blank money orders, proving theft and recovering funds is an extremely difficult if not impossible task. The more money orders that are purchased at one time, particularly if the line is held up by the completion of paperwork, the more obvious it is to the people in line that you are going to your car with a lot of blank money orders. Quietly buying $2,000 at a time minimizes the chance that someone in line knows what you just did and decides to rob you.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 28, 2013 1:36 pm

You have to make them out to yourself and restrictively endorse them. Else blank money orders are cash. Keep the MO's in one pocket and the MO receipts in another. Still not nearly as dangerous as moving millions in coins through the city streets in the days of the mint. At least you can run carrying money orders.:D

Never, ever assume you are not being observed.

Originally Posted by Andy2 (Post 21172167)
I agree. That walk from the WalMart Money Center to the car is more dangerous than many people realize. If someone steals your blank money orders, proving theft and recovering funds is an extremely difficult if not impossible task. The more money orders that are purchased at one time, particularly if the line is held up by the completion of paperwork, the more obvious it is to the people in line that you are going to your car with a lot of blank money orders. Quietly buying $2,000 at a time minimizes the chance that someone in line knows what you just did and decides to rob you.

Stubtify Jul 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Guys... now I'll never be comfortable again. I'll be filling them out in the Wal-mart bathroom, and For Deposit Only the back from now on.

KennyBSAT Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2 (Post 21172167)
Quietly buying $2,000 at a time minimizes the chance that someone in line knows what you just did and decides to rob you.

^ Preferably late morning when I have to wake up the teller at the grocery store business center.

aegt123 Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm

For the last couple of months, I was under the impression that if I lose a MO or get robbed in the WM parking lot all I would have to do is get a copy of the receipt from WM and call MoneyGram to stop all the MOs. However, I learned that it doesn't work that way.

Recently, I called MoneyGram as a MO that I had mailed never got to its destination. The process to get the money back if the MO hasn't been cashed is pretty simple fill out a form and pay $15 per MO. However, if the MO was already cashed then all you will get is a copy of the cashed MO and it's up to you to fight it out with the financial institution that cashed it wrongfully.

I will be carrying 'For Deposit Only' stamp to the WM from now on.

CMHFlyerOH Jul 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123 (Post 21174083)

Or you could just write it on the check. :p

aegt123 Jul 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH (Post 21174100)
Or you could just write it on the check. :p

or that

ma91pmh Jul 29, 2013 7:07 am

This is all sage advice. I always immediately complete the MO (payable to myself, with my address, and my endorsement) when I am at the money counter, I rarely get more than $3k at a time, and I tear off the receipt and stick them in my back pocket. I try to park as close to the door as possible and keep my eyes open and wits about me as I leave. It's not a case of being overly paranoid, but WalMart is not known for attracting the highest of society and walking around with $3k in cash equivalents is not to be done lightly

Explore Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 21175532)
This is all sage advice. I always immediately complete the MO (payable to myself, with my address, and my endorsement) when I am at the money counter, I rarely get more than $3k at a time, and I tear off the receipt and stick them in my back pocket. I try to park as close to the door as possible and keep my eyes open and wits about me as I leave. It's not a case of being overly paranoid, but WalMart is not known for attracting the highest of society and walking around with $3k in cash equivalents is not to be done lightly

So no conceivable issue making the MO out to yourself? I'm I bit more comfortable with my wife writing it.

TheDapperDon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21177267)
So no conceivable issue making the MO out to yourself? I'm I bit more comfortable with my wife writing it.

I've been making mine to myself.

Bean Jul 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 21177395)
I've been making mine to myself.

Mine are made out to my two brothers: Mr. Citi and Mr. Chase.

shopper711 Jul 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I snap a photo of MO and receipt, the I fill out the info with for dep only on the back. I discard the receipt and MO stub.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Some folks (aka whales) are actually finding rubberstamps useful.:cool:

Originally Posted by aegt123 (Post 21174083)

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Oh, weez not feelin' the love right now! Don't go hatin' on us like that!:p

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 21175532)
...WalMart is not known for attracting the highest of society...

TheDapperDon Jul 29, 2013 3:16 pm

What limits do you all impose on yourselves per bank with regards to deposits?