Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
I had a similar experience after the funds disappeared off the VR I bought with the 6-digit pin. Because the funds had been transferred off the card, InComm require a police report to substantiate the fraud so they can attempt to reverse the charge (with Visa who they stated process the actual transfer).

A police report which must be picked up in person from their record department. Serious joy!
I have had 6 phone calls and 2 sets of faxes (the second set because they clearly were just **** with me).

Out of the country now, but by next move when I get home in two weeks will be to accuse ImComm of theft.

ImComm needs to own up for this fraud, as it is obviously happening with their support.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jul 30, 2014 at 5:17 am Reason: removed masked obscenity
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have had 6 phone calls and 2 sets of faxes (the second set because they clearly were just **** with me).

Out of the country now, but by next move when I get home in two weeks will be to accuse ImComm of theft.

ImComm needs to own up for this fraud, as it is obviously happening with their support.
My card got funds taken out within about half a day.
So, crooks either have to punch in ALL the cards they stole PINs from, which is probably many... or someone is helping them on the inside

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jul 30, 2014 at 5:17 am Reason: removed masked obscenity
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Just wanted to give a heads up that after 10 biz days, my issue is resolved.
InComm called me this morning with 2 new PIN numbers to replace to two I previously purchased.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
InComm called me this morning with 2 new PIN numbers to replace to two I previously purchased.
good to know.
i assume you had $500 on each card.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Originally Posted by alik99
good to know.
i assume you had $500 on each card.
correct. $500 on each
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
holy **** i'm glad i didn't buy any down there when i was in town last weekend.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP
I wish I had seen this thread prior to buying some VRs. I'm located in the Atlanta area and I've had no issues before, but this JUST happened to me and the funds were gone within 2 hours as it took me some time to get home (I know I know I should have loaded them then and there but I forgot to bring my BB card). I've put in a call to Incomm and sent the relevant info. We'll see what happens and how long it takes to resolve. If not, I suppose my last resort is to dispute it with AMEX. Hoping for a happy ending
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Well, multiple posters over on the main AMEX B-bird thread would accuse you of running a scam for doing eactly such. Don't ask my why they think such.

On a more serious concern about this, the numbers could now be seen by the clerk. Have you changed one scam for another?
You seriously think the clerk will be able to scan the numbers and memorize them even if the pin was visible? Most are clueless and have no idea what they are doing.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:09 pm

I have not seen this happening where I am, though it has had me worried. I am thinking that this very well could be an employee(s) at the CVS locations. I just bought two and tried to remove the whole film with a knife. This was a very easy thing to do as well as scratching off the numbers with said knife. Placing the film back down makes it seem all is well unless like people have been doing actually look for it to be tampered with. The reason I think it can be employees at CVS is that they can easily write down all of the pins and the last numbers on the cards bottom. All they need to do when you the customer leaves is reprint the receipt which anyone that has worked in retail within the last 10 years will know that is not hard to do.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:03 pm

I really hope InComm has a plan to stop all of this.

Do you mind sharing the store location?

Originally Posted by JHL77
I wish I had seen this thread prior to buying some VRs. I'm located in the Atlanta area and I've had no issues before, but this JUST happened to me and the funds were gone within 2 hours as it took me some time to get home (I know I know I should have loaded them then and there but I forgot to bring my BB card). I've put in a call to Incomm and sent the relevant info. We'll see what happens and how long it takes to resolve. If not, I suppose my last resort is to dispute it with AMEX. Hoping for a happy ending
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Pencegeri
I have not seen this happening where I am, though it has had me worried. I am thinking that this very well could be an employee(s) at the CVS locations. I just bought two and tried to remove the whole film with a knife. This was a very easy thing to do as well as scratching off the numbers with said knife. Placing the film back down makes it seem all is well unless like people have been doing actually look for it to be tampered with. The reason I think it can be employees at CVS is that they can easily write down all of the pins and the last numbers on the cards bottom. All they need to do when you the customer leaves is reprint the receipt which anyone that has worked in retail within the last 10 years will know that is not hard to do.
The problem with this logic is that there would be no need to erase some digits. This is hard to do, and leaves more evidence.

The purpose of erasing the digits is to force you to call ImComm. That is why I would place and inside person there. Also that explains the ATL connection, as the inside person could either work by himself to tamper/plant cards, or use a close friend.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PP
Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
agoogilydoogily, Were the funds already taken off the 2 cards you previously purchased?

Originally Posted by thisisyourlife
I really hope InComm has a plan to stop all of this.

Do you mind sharing the store location?
Yea, this was the one around Sandy Springs area on Roswell Road slightly north of 285, but before Abernathy.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Up in MA here and haven't had any issues, but will certainly be scratching off the PIN at the register now before purchasing... and then loading immediately after purchase.

I am already careful before I purchase to look at the cards and I'd go home and load within 10 min of purchasing, but I think best bet now is to scratch the pin at the register and then load with a smartphone while you're there or in the parking lot.

With the fraud being confined to ATL currently, it sounds like an organized group that is lifting and tampering the cards, then returning them to stores. Then they'd run through a spreadsheet of stolen PINs and try to load and see what gets lucky.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by rylan
With the fraud being confined to ATL currently, it sounds like an organized group that is lifting and tampering the cards, then returning them to stores. Then they'd run through a spreadsheet of stolen PINs and try to load and see what gets lucky.
i think this is exactly whats going on...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by alik99
i think this is exactly whats going on...

This has been discussed multiple times in the large BB thread.

Because that thread was soooo large (and the info. would get easily lost) and it appeared to be multiple happenings I 'attempted' to open a thread to report the exact locations of the stores it occurred in and updates.

However, sadly that thread was 'locked and closed' after over 700 views and apparently no one willing to post the info.

It's nice to see folks (a few weeks later) finally think it's a handy idea to have the info. in one thread of it's own.^

It's obviously a scam (apparent from weeks ago).
However, if people are lifting them from stores, it should be easy enough for CVS to catch on camera (but no word of this even being attempted yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.