Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:32 pm

Can confirm that local Arlington VA store pulled the 20-500 variety. It was good while it lasted.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by farwest101
Disagree. Most on FT don't even bother with these things. They are happy enough to get a few cards a year and not bother with these "complicated" methods - just make regular spend.

But those who visit the blogs like MMS are there to have their hand held. Pictures and arrows to "uncomplicate" things for them. With smiling picks of the wife with a fistful of VRs in her hand to make it warm and fuzzy.
Thinking about all the affiliate income coming in makes it warm and fuzzy for sure
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Disagree. Most on FT don't even bother with these things. They are happy enough to get a few cards a year and not bother with these "complicated" methods - just make regular spend.

But those who visit the blogs like MMS are there to have their hand held. Pictures and arrows to "uncomplicate" things for them. With smiling picks of the wife with a fistful of VRs in her hand to make it warm and fuzzy.
FWIW, since Bluebird first hatched, googling for things related to Vanilla Reloads, Office Depot, CVS, Bluebird, and similar - usually the first page of results has been some of the usual blogs, not FT.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Why would anyone post about more places to get similar and kill that too. Are people stupid and just not care about causing all these closures. Same as asking stupid questions about prepaid cards and Netspend and MiO cards shutting everyone down.
What happened to the codes we used to talk in in the MInt thread GEEZ
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher

Warm maybe, fuzzy probably but nauseating for sure.
It not only makes me sick to my stomach but angry, very angry.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
While I don't think it's entirely fair to blame bloggers for this deal dying, I will say that it's safe to assume that Chase and other Credit Card issuers regularly monitor said bloggers (as they have an established relationship with them and pay out referral bonuses), and after the 5X OD/Ice Cream methods were well published, I would bet Chase made some high level contact with OD requesting that these variable GCs be pulled, after previously requesting Ice Cream be pulled in November. Perhaps this is conjecture on my part, but I would think this was the likely scenario. That said, it's not like Chase and Co wouldn't also have people monitor places like FT, MP and SD as well and still catch on to these games eventually. Bottom line, deals will eventually get out whether through blogs, FT, SD, MP or wherever, it will get out, why not just enjoy the ride while you can and patiently wait for the next one? Just my two cents...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Checked quite a few south bay ODs.. all pulled. Darn just bought 5 this morning... wanted to buy few more before it shut down.. oh well..
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by beckkl
What happens if Chase decides on a whim to cancel affiliates that are mileage bloggers?
There's always Discover?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
2% cash back is not enough. What credit card gets more than 2% and what type of store might sell Office Supply store gift cards?
Do you honestly think people are going to feed you information here anymore after this?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
FWIW, since Bluebird first hatched, googling for things related to Vanilla Reloads, Office Depot, CVS, Bluebird, and similar - usually the first page of results has been some of the usual blogs, not FT.
It's rather, uhhh...notable? how googling for "vanilla reload" basically turns up nothing but blog after blog plugging how to churn it. It's not until the middle of page 3 that a flyertalk thread even appears.

Also, I don't get why Chase doesn't just shut down the whole thing by telling the bloggers to stop posting about it. Heck, they could make an example of out one blogger by shutting off the affiliate feeding trough for a week -- vanilla reload would become a forbidden word overnight.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:43 pm

Was able to pick up $4k today in San Diego, which takes cares of rent for the next few months (via VRs). Was planning on buying another $6-$8k over the next few months to pay taxes with. This blows.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Do you honestly think people are going to feed you information here anymore after this?
hmm, I don't think FTG is asking a question. I think he actually has an answer and is just prompting people to think about it and maybe get to the answer themselves.
On another note, went out with DH and got a bunch of cards in LA but did not dare to max out our cards. How would Chase view about hitting the credit limit for just one month?

Last edited by tuscanyx; Feb 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:45 pm

Lots of Frugal Travel Guy hate on this thread. I would argue that his blog isn't the one causing the problem. I don't think his blog is what it was maybe 1 or 2 years ago, but he always worded his posts carefully as to not give too much away. MMS does the opposite. Realistically though, if its not MMS, there will always be someone to spell it out, because there's money involved (referral links).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:48 pm

fun while it lasted...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:56 pm

This makes no sense. If it's CC fraud or they're unprofitable, just don't allow CCs to be used to purchase them. Why pull them off the shelves?

It might have something to do with the fraudulent batch of cards released by Vanilla. Maybe they're working on a new, more secure version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.