Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:19 pm

Empty racks in the Garden State. Bumming about this. Got the IB early in the month, the BB mid month and finally found a stack of VR today. Maybe I'm the proverbial shoeshine boy giving stock tips. Regret being conservative. Slow and steady does not win this race.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QL_714
What you seem to overlook is that is not a game to everyone.
One man's game is another man's profession.....
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have yet to see the GCs leave the racks, but I only visited 2 area stores today. It makes sense, though, as this is just Phase 2 of what started back in November.

One of the ODs near me started doing this with the VRs ... no CCs for any gift card over $200.

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
One of the things your segment of the community seems to neglect is that we bloggers are travel hackers as well, that play the game just like the rest of the community.

(Sorry, I just had to )
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by amolkold
I have yet to see the GCs leave the racks, but I only visited 2 area stores today. It makes sense, though, as this is just Phase 2 of what started back in November.

One of the ODs near me started doing this with the VRs ... no CCs for any gift card over $200.

(Sorry, I just had to )
I have that printed off and hanging on my fridge...only it's the "uncensored" wording Love it!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bubble o bill
Empty racks in the Garden State. Bumming about this. Got the IB early in the month, the BB mid month and finally found a stack of VR today. Maybe I'm the proverbial shoeshine boy giving stock tips. Regret being conservative. Slow and steady does not win this race.
There are people that haven't even received their card yet and were counting on the Visas for their min spend.

You did worse than some and better than some.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, HA, UR, BA
Can confirm that Honolulu OD has had all GC's pulled. >sigh< good while it lasted!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by Redoctane
Does OM or Staples carry the open amount gift cards?
My OM doesn't carry the $500. The highest I remember seeing is $100-$200.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:11 pm

Please...anyone foolish enough to rely on these kinds of loopholes for anything MORE than a game, is likely contributing to the eventual shutdowns as much as any "evil" bloggers.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:19 pm

Still plenty left at some places around here. Hope some can take advantage of this tomorrow. Anyone know if transfer from Chase Checking/Savings (Personal) to IB/IP is instantaneous?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Think about a combination of cash back cards and store retail cards to reduce acquisition costs.

Paying for the $200 gift cards with more than one form of payment.

And still using VR cards for paying bills.

I'm at about .5 cents per UR point and was successful today on a small scale.

Let's work together to maximize in this thread.
I've thought about this quite a bit but not getting anywhere near .5 cents per UR point.

The point of this is to pay for the entire $200 with the IB. You could pay the GC fee with a 2% back card, but that save ~7 cents, not a big savings.
Also, the OM MaxPerks specifically denies getting any cashback/OfficeMax credit on prepaid cards.

Perhaps you mean utilizing a Amex GC, bought via PlasticJungle at a discount, to pay for the GC fee. I still can't see how this brings the cost down to .5 cents per point.

I'd love to hear any more hints you may have. PM is definitely OK with me too. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
Still plenty left at some places around here. Hope some can take advantage of this tomorrow. Anyone know if transfer from Chase Checking/Savings (Personal) to IB/IP is instantaneous?
Not quite, and probably too late now (7:20PM here in PDX) to get a payment in (my issue).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
Still available farmingham ma. Bought $1k
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by fstop75
Please...anyone foolish enough to rely on these kinds of loopholes for anything MORE than a game, is likely contributing to the eventual shutdowns as much as any "evil" bloggers.
I don't even understand what doing this "professionally" means, but I agree that whomever (if anyone) is doing this for more than free travel is far more of a problem than any blogger.

In any case, as with VRs three months ago, we will just move on to the next best thing. Hopefully as the difficulty and cost of gift card churning increases there will be less and less people getting into the game.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:24 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MilesGator
I've thought about this quite a bit but not getting anywhere near .5 cents per UR point.

The point of this is to pay for the entire $200 with the IB. You could pay the GC fee with a 2% back card, but that save ~7 cents, not a big savings.
Also, the OM MaxPerks specifically denies getting any cashback/OfficeMax credit on prepaid cards.

Perhaps you mean utilizing a Amex GC, bought via PlasticJungle at a discount, to pay for the GC fee. I still can't see how this brings the cost down to .5 cents per point.

I'd love to hear any more hints you may have. PM is definitely OK with me too. Thanks so much!
2% cash back is not enough. What credit card gets more than 2% and what type of store might sell Office Supply store gift cards?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
I think you are giving way too much credence to "the bloggers". I doubt any one of them, or even the bunch of them combined, has the number of page views that FT generates. Just a bunch of convenient whipping boys (and/or girls) it seems.
Disagree. Most on FT don't even bother with these things. They are happy enough to get a few cards a year and not bother with these "complicated" methods - just make regular spend.

But those who visit the blogs like MMS are there to have their hand held. Pictures and arrows to "uncomplicate" things for them. With smiling picks of the wife with a fistful of VRs in her hand to make it warm and fuzzy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.