Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:00 pm

My local manager shows me the memo... it sited reason as Financial Cost associated with this product. On the footnote it also mentioned that OD may re-brand this product back around May...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Several dozen
FT postings never kill deals - deals can only be killed by evil bloggers and hater cardinals.

Originally Posted by QL_714
Please post here so it can be killed!!!

You have to be kidding me.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:18 pm

My wife will be happy if this is true

Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Several dozen
This is ridiculous - so what if they took a small financial hit with each transaction - they make it up in volume.

Originally Posted by spgbus
My local manager shows me the memo... it sited reason as Financial Cost associated with this product. On the footnote it also mentioned that OD may re-brand this product back around May...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I wouldn't fault anyone for loading up from here on out.
I hit a new personal record for a single OD trip today. Checked out with my normal amount, the manager who came to approve the sale told me the news and that he'd be pulling the cards soon, so I went back to the rack and pretty much cleaned them out of the $4.95 fee cards.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:29 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Think a little deeper to improve the costs

Think about a combination of cash back cards and store retail cards to reduce acquisition costs.

Paying for the $200 gift cards with more than one form of payment.

And still using VR cards for paying bills.

I'm at about .5 cents per UR point and was successful today on a small scale.

Let's work together to maximize in this thread.

Last edited by ingy; Feb 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
No more Amex variable load cards at my local OD, checked today.

Gonna be a lot of wailing and moaning over the next couple of days as this rolls out everywhere.

Time to que the Hitler video.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:14 pm

No $500 reloads in MT

Large variable reloads pulled at Montana OD as well. So much for waiting for the Feb 4th deadline mentioned in an earlier post. They had plenty of these card 2 days ago. I guess I'll actually have to break down and fill out some of their Office Depot surveys on the receipts they hand out and see if the $10 coupon will apply against gift card purchases.

I'm really thinking of switching over to the $25 reload cards with the similar large fee. Maybe they will think I'm a big spender to pay such a high fee on such a low limit card.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:19 pm

In Southern California OD, one $500 cafd left on rack (the manager missed it when pulling the cards). I tried to by the last one and the manager came out and said it won't work. Took the card and said they were losing money on these.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beckkl
What happens if Chase decides on a whim to cancel affiliates that are mileage bloggers?
I guess we'll find out which bloggers truly want to help people..... @:-)
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by hobo13
I guess we'll find out which bloggers truly want to help people..... @:-)
Nothing changes while there's yet another 50K sign up offer. Now, chase drops the sign up bonus to 25k or so, and watch all the cockroaches run for the shadows when the lights come up...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:36 pm

None left at my usually well stocked location in LA. Too bad; it was too good to last.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Tried another OD near me, more gift cards still available. I didn't clear out, but I did get enough for the time-being.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
This is ridiculous - so what if they took a small financial hit with each transaction - they make it up in volume.
Reminds me of an old SNL commercial/parody of a bank whose sole purpose for existing is to make change for its customers. When asked how they make money, Paul McElroy, playing bank manager, responds "in one word -- volume."

Last edited by smedleyb; Feb 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
One of the things your segment of the community seems to neglect is that we bloggers are travel hackers as well, that play the game just like the rest of the community.
What you seem to overlook is that is not a game to everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.