PetroCanada Pivot Visa - cheap/free $2K "gas" spend per month

Subscribe
I came across the Pivot Visa at PetroCanada today. You start up by paying $10 for a non-reloadable card, value up to $250. You can then register and convert the same plastic to reloadable. You can also request a personalised card for a fee, but it's unnecessary if you're just trying to get the cash off.

They have a PAYG, monthly and annual plan. The way I see it:

PAYG
Load 8 x $250 per month, pay 8 x $2 (on 4 separate days)
Withdraw 8 x $250 per month at a no-fee ATM, pay 8 x $3 (on 8 separate days)
Get 5c off per litre for 250 litres per month, value $12.50
Total costs $27.50 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Monthly
Monthly fee $5.95
Get 5c off per litre for 750 litres per month, value $37.50
Total costs $2.50 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Annual
"Monthly" fee $5
Get 5c off per litre for 1000 litres per month, value $50
Total costs -$10 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Please go through my math and correct.

Of course, for the monthly and annual plans, you're accumulating "litres" faster than you can probably use them. In my case, I probably use 250 litres a month between both cars, so probably not something I can use easily.
Fuel savings are useless when the border is 45 minutes away and I can save 30-40%...
(I go to WA for gas and infant formula, sometimes booze and cigarettes)
Quote: Fuel savings are useless when the border is 45 minutes away and I can save 30-40%...
(I go to WA for gas and infant formula, sometimes booze and cigarettes)
Plus all Canadians can now get no fx Marriott CC.
Quote: Plus all Canadians can now get no fx Marriott CC.
Just get the Sears MC and it does the same thing and I can convert Sears to CX via Petro Canada.
(The trick is NOT to convert immediately as CX miles expire 36 months after deposit while Petro Points never expire, however, the risk there is if Petro Points discontinues CX partnership I'm left with a bunch of nearly worthless miles that can be redeemed for gas cards at a piss poor value, plus it forces me to buy gas on the Canadian side of the border, and I don't drive much, nor will I support a government that taxes it's citizens like their money was easily earned.)
I live near Miami, I'm assuming I cannot make use of this?
Quote: I live near Miami, I'm assuming I cannot make use of this?
Did you seriously not read the title or is MIA in Canada now?
(The answer-no.)
Quote: Did you seriously not read the title or is MIA in Canada now?
(The answer-no.)
Thanks for the geography lesson.
Quote: I came across the Pivot Visa at PetroCanada today. You start up by paying $10 for a non-reloadable card, value up to $250. You can then register and convert the same plastic to reloadable. You can also request a personalised card for a fee, but it's unnecessary if you're just trying to get the cash off.

They have a PAYG, monthly and annual plan. The way I see it:

PAYG
Get 5c off per litre for 250 litres per month, value $12.50
Total costs $27.50 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Monthly
Monthly fee $5.95
Get 5c off per litre for 750 litres per month, value $37.50
Total costs $2.50 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Annual
"Monthly" fee $5
Get 5c off per litre for 1000 litres per month, value $50
Total costs -$10 for $2000 "gas" spend per month

Please go through my math and correct.

Of course, for the monthly and annual plans, you're accumulating "litres" faster than you can probably use them. In my case, I probably use 250 litres a month between both cars, so probably not something I can use easily.
Does anyone actually have a Pivot Visa at PetroCanada? Is there a $2000/month limit?
Quote: Does anyone actually have a Pivot Visa at PetroCanada? Is there a $2000/month limit?
yes, i do, and yes 2K limit per month.
Am i stupid ? What is the advantage to do this ? You load 2000$ a month and claim back 2000$ a month. You could receive FF points from your other cc but, you have to pay fees to exchange at Atm...
Quote: Am i stupid ? What is the advantage to do this ? You load 2000$ a month and claim back 2000$ a month. You could receive FF points from your other cc but, you have to pay fees to exchange at Atm...
2 bucks to load 250, 3 bucks to withdraw. 5 bucks every 250 = 40 bucks/2k in and out. put on amex, 1cpm with 2x earning on gold bonus categories.
Some people may do it.
Quote: I live near Miami, I'm assuming I cannot make use of this?
Unfortunately, the closest PetroCanada to Miami is 65 kms away
Quote: 2 bucks to load 250, 3 bucks to withdraw. 5 bucks every 250 = 40 bucks/2k in and out. put on amex, 1cpm with 2x earning on gold bonus categories.
Some people may do it.

Oh, okay. So if I need to generate $2000 spend on an Amex, I could buy the Visa card, load $250 on 8 occasions, then withdraw funds. This would generate $2000 in spend, and ____ points for the spend.

Are these cards ever treated as cash advances?
Quote: Oh, okay. So if I need to generate $2000 spend on an Amex, I could buy the Visa card, load $250 on 8 occasions, then withdraw funds. This would generate $2000 in spend, and ____ points for the spend.

Are these cards ever treated as cash advances?
No
Quote: Are these cards ever treated as cash advances?
Why would a purchase at PetroCanada ever get treated as a cash advance?