Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by cashback
There is no fast track anything when it comes to Green Dot. It was very surprising how easy it is to get your money when they shut down your GoBank card. Green Dot is a terrible, terrible company.
Wrong

There is a fast track to being shut down
And they are good at that apparently...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I used to, ORD now. And I no longer commute

The one that doesn't work for me is under the El in a former art supply store. It's not an issue with Express kiosks, just that Express kiosk.
Originally Posted by lad2
Same issue with one E kiosk about 4 miles north of it.
Well there are only like 2-3 WME in all of Chicago, so not too hard to figure out which ones I guess But hey you're right...wasn't it Pearl that used to be in there?

Thanks for the update on the Broadway one too lad, it saves me the trip out there. I'm only 3-4 miles from each of those locations, but it still is at least a 30 minute round trip to drive and parking in both areas is a PITA.

The one in the suburbs I hit up is right near my inlaws - and I'm usually out there at least 2x a month anyway. We just haven't gone for a couple of weeks so I was itching to unload some. As I mentioned last time I was out there the kiosk was down...I am really hoping it was just temporary because if not I will be SOL.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:05 am

Greendot Bill Pay stop working?

I was surprised that I could not find a thread on the Greendot card (the main card, gold in color, sold next to the moneypak reloads in the stores). Anyway, the bill pay seems to always fail now. I keep getting an email that the card was declined (and that's why the bill pay didn't go through). It has been 2 weeks like this, though the card does seem to work for purchases and loads.

I suppose I am partially shut down?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Just to be clear:

You're trying to pay bills by using your Green Dot debit card number via the biller website? (i.e. you're not trying to use a billpay function of the Green Dot Prepaid card itself)
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Just to be clear:

You're trying to pay bills by using your Green Dot debit card number via the biller website? (i.e. you're not trying to use a billpay function of the Green Dot Prepaid card itself)
no. I am using the bill pay function that mails a check out.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:15 pm

MoneyPak?

Reading this thread has me confused. Are people saying that GB can no longer be loaded by MP?
A little help would be appreciated (PM if necessary).

Thx
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by straightahead
Reading this thread has me confused. Are people saying that GB can no longer be loaded by MP?
A little help would be appreciated (PM if necessary).

Thx
Correct. You can only do the initial load with money pak.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Just got through my 1st statement cycle and still alive.
$8k loaded and unloaded, no bill pay at all. This may be the key.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
This may be the key.
Not at all... 100% of mine is BP...

I think the key is loading and unloading to zero. And only loading after the balance is zero (so only one load on the weekends).

Last edited by cashback; Aug 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by cashback
Not at all... 100% of mine is BP...

I think the key is loading and unloading to zero. And only loading after the balance is zero (so only one load on the weekends).
I did mostly follow this pattern, but not to zero, but did unload before the next load rather than load, load, load (excluding doing multiple GC loads on the same day). At first I did mostly deposit then draw, but based on your input switched to drain then add.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:30 am

Anybody try slow draining their loads?
As in, load up then bill pay little by little over the month.
Peppering it with a few swipes here and and few swipes there.
Kinda like a normal account...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I unload before I load. I don't load consecutively without swiping or bill paying. I'm into my third statement and have already loaded 1k this month. Churn, baby, churn!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I unload before I load. I don't load consecutively without swiping or bill paying. I'm into my third statement and have already loaded 1k this month. Churn, baby, churn!
How'd you use through 1.5K (3*$500)?
Load 500,500,500 and then spend. Repeat.
OR
Load 500, spend it. Load 500, spend it. Etc. ?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pier11
How'd you use through 1.5K (3*$500)?
Load 500,500,500 and then spend. Repeat.
OR
Load 500, spend it. Load 500, spend it. Etc. ?
The latter. Big bill payment, then small swipes. Load on one day, but not consecutive days.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Here are my data. Three accounts still open.
All DDs are either from AP or GW (including tiny transaction for verification). Loads are from GCs at WM. Most of the time I load multiple GCs on one WM visit and then billpay that amount out the next day to the same CC. No swipes.

july: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD
june: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs
may: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs

august: $6.7K 14 loads 2DDs
july: $6.1K 9 loads 4DDs ($50-$1K)
june: $1.1K 4 loads 3DDs

august: $7.7K 17 loads 0DD
july: $6.9K 15 loads 3DDs
june: $2.9K 0 loads 9DDs

Last edited by lad2; Aug 15, 2013 at 9:50 am Reason: update from august for #3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.