Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:25 pm

delete

Last edited by iminsandiego; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm Reason: useless information
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by jmccon2
I'm on the phone with a GB rep about some missing money, and she says that a few days ago they implemented a new policy to not allow gift cards with PINs. Yikes! I know a lot of you got shut down, but for those of you with GBs still open - have a backup plan.
I don't believe that this policy is new. I think I remember them saying this when I opened my account. If they are enforcing it, well then that is new.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by iminsandiego
I had no problem with a card for myself and my wife. Same address but different last name at the time.
I don't think you understand my situation since you didn't read. Did you know that I was shutdown first and then tried the SO? You are the first one who succeeded to get a card AFTER a shutdown. Apparently, their blacklisting database includes all the info. If one of the info matches (name or address or SSN or whatever), you get "we cannot approve you error" no matter who the person is.

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
What card are you referencing? Is it a big national credit union card?
No, it's not a CU.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
added money yesterday with pin based GC, no issues
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can GB know what payment method you use at WM?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
How can GB know what payment method you use at WM?
It's all hidden from the cardholders. As a cardholder, you can't even tell the difference between real cash load from debit load according to the report on this thread. But, that doesn't mean they can't tell.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm on the phone with a GB rep about some missing money, and she says that a few days ago they implemented a new policy to not allow gift cards with PINs. Yikes! I know a lot of you got shut down, but for those of you with GBs still open - have a backup plan.
I don't see how they could have instituted it a few days ago. I show loads using HIGC late 8/31 and early 8/1. I believe my total is correct, but I'm missing a couple transactions.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
I don't think you understand my situation since you didn't read. Did you know that I was shutdown first and then tried the SO? You are the first one who succeeded to get a card AFTER a shutdown. Apparently, their blacklisting database includes all the info. If one of the info matches (name or address or SSN or whatever), you get "we cannot approve you error."
Yes I know you got shut down. I did miss that you tried this after the shutdown and realized after my post.

So to clarify so I don't give wrong information to others. I did not get a card for my wife after a shutdown.

Last edited by iminsandiego; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:26 am

I got a weird reload today.

I loaded $200 VISA to Gobank at Walmart Kiosk machine today. It got only an almost blank receipt saying "Host time out". The money did leave the VISA card and my Gobank balance went up by $200.

Several hours later, the money got back to the VISA card with a description "Mastercard Settlement Reversal" and my Gobank balance also reverse.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by godsquare
I got a weird reload today.

I loaded $200 VISA to Gobank at Walmart Kiosk machine today. It got only an almost blank receipt saying "Host time out". The money did leave the VISA card and my Gobank balance went up by $200.

Several hours later, the money got back to the VISA card with a description "Mastercard Settlement Reversal" and my Gobank balance also reverse.
Several posts above a story were relayed that GB works on disalloving GC from loading. Hopefully this is not what you've experienced.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
This story.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
GB is becoming a real pain in the butt. But, I suspect that if they are just now implementing this, it's because of the HIGC fiasco. I think that brought unnecessary attention to gift cards with pins. That deal wasn't worth it in the long run. I hate that people posted about it if this is part of the aftermath.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pier11
This story.
I'm thinking it is the HIGC that she was talking about. I think they blocked those. I don't know that they can block normal visas.

(Then again, if the HIGC can be blocked, I guess these can be too. Although, we don't really know who stopped that.)

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Aug 3, 2013 at 8:53 am Reason: correcting my logic
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I'm thinking it is the HIGC that she was talking about. I think they blocked those. I don't know that they can block normal visas.

(Then again, if the HIGC can be blocked, I guess these can be too. Although, we don't really know who stopped that.)
Dont know about that.
Not seeing how they would retroactively go back and reverse HIGC loads. If they would do that they would/could do any GC load.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.