Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by shel
Strike early and strike hard is the way to go now. Looking at the AccountNow thread you can find some reported shut-down with just $500. Don't be deterred by some self-righteous one who likes to label others as "greedy", "crazy", or "killing deals".
Where is your data as a member suggested? Do you ever give your data rather than information you found on a thread or just your opinion only? Thanks to you, vagrants stopped giving his details. He or she was the one who had the lowest loading/month and got shutdown.

From what I've read, you are the greedy one spending $7k on CVS and CVS only with Blue Cash. If it was other cards, probably nobody cared. You just want to justify your position and nobody is supporting you. And, how are your analysis going with the Blue Cash? You don't have data because you use noticeable amounts to buy VRs and can't differentiate one purchase from another or something?

Last edited by jthagan; Jun 29, 2013 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I agree, to a point. Someone posted an idea of loading patterns similar to pay schedules. I think that's a viable option. Your account is still alive and kicking?
Yes, that's vagrants, post 807. With the help of pier11 (post 815), it's probably the best idea stated on this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by jthagan
From what I've read, you are the greedy one spending $7k on CVS and CVS only with Blue Cash. If it was other cards, probably nobody cared. You just want to justify your position and nobody is supporting you. And, how are your analysis going with the Blue Cash? You don't have data because you use noticeable amounts to buy VRs and can't differentiate one purchase from another or something?
Dude, enough.

If you want a tip, here is a tip. I went through the conversation with the front CSR ('front' = sometimes don't know what they are talking about...so not sure how accurate) on the phone in my mind. I remember the CSR saying that they do not like depositing many checks that are not in your name (I assume it's 'From' on the check). It's not a direct confirmation of what pier11 said, but it seems they can't tell the difference between cash & debit loads...and even Mobile Deposit for that matter...how does MO deposit look like? As long as I don't set a flag on auto and have a manual review, can it be treated like a regular check or even as a pay check? And, if that's true, and if the Mobile Deposit can accept MoneyGram MOs (GB FAQ says MO deposits OK), you can do higher than $1.1k in a single shot although it costs $0.70 (limit: personal checks up to $250, government checks up to $5000). And, I got shutdown on the 2nd month since I started the behavior. They did allow it for the 1st month. The shutdown didn't occur on my statement date. My statement date was like 2 weeks ago (middle of the month). Maybe they are forgiving if a person changes his/her way. I'm not going to find things out using SOs' names. Oh, yes, and the small business thing. That's what I came up on the spot. I didn't plan on saying that from the beginning. I had and still have no idea how to explain so many deposits/month for a 'personal' account.

Happy now? Get back to work instead of arguing.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:03 am

Dammit, not this too! Stupid Green Dot. I just got started on this thing. Ugh.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Like everything, when people abuse of it, they should expect to be axed. In all honesty, this card is meant for low-income people who cannot access/afford easy banking as an alternative. Now, no low-income person could afford 7-8k a month in reloads, don't you think so? Keep it low, and it will serve you well.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Now, no low-income person could afford 7-8k a month in reloads, don't you think so? Keep it low, and it will serve you well.
So, how much is it for you then? The lowest was under $4k so far.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
So, how much is it for you then? The lowest was under $4k so far.
I ran $3,550 and I'm still open.

Like I said, marathon....
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I ran $3,550 and I'm still open.

Like I said, marathon....
How many GC loads per month and how many months passed since you started loading the account?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:18 pm

Last month: $3,728.83 and 17 GC loads
This month: $3,903.03 and 23 GC loads

There was 1x ACH pull for CC payment this month and 1x ATM draw last month.

Now that I actually counted (I only tracked the amount loaded to the account), it seems pretty high. I should have treated like a regular bank account or BB (I don't do so many small loads on this one...but I had to drain from PrePaids and couldn't do massive amounts without PrePaids getting closed...in any case, I was a loading whore. Being a whore is so much easier than not being one).

With PainCorp's info ($3,550), # of loads matters. If PainCorp has more loads...then I'm pissed. If not, maybe it's time I get one for SOs.

And, it's time for me to shut up. PainCorp has the critical info.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:47 pm

I've had my card for less than 2 weeks. I loaded about 5k in the first 10 days, mostly $500 GCs. I've done two ACH pulls and have less than $100 left in the account. My account is still open, but I'm sure my days are numbered. I was planning to load about 10k before reading about the shutdowns. I will probably try to keep it under 5k.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants

Now that I actually counted (I only tracked the amount loaded to the account), it seems pretty high. I should have treated like a regular bank account or BB (I don't do so many small loads on this one...but I had to drain from PrePaids and couldn't do massive amounts without PrePaids getting closed...in any case, I was a loading whore).

With PainCorp's info ($3,550), # of loads matters. If PainCorp has more loads...then I'm pissed. If not, maybe it's time I get one for SOs.

PainCorp still being open means nothing at this point. I had 14K last month and 21K this month. Still open. *knocks on wood*

I know it probably wont last. But trying to draw conclusions because someone is still open at this point is useless.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
PainCorp still being open means nothing at this point. I had 14K last month and 21K this month. Still open. *knocks on wood*

I know it probably wont last. But trying to draw conclusions because someone is still open at this point is useless.
How many loads? That's critical info now since we have the lowest amount load got closed (that's me! Anybody lower than me and got closed is always welcome to come out). And, since PainCorp's and my amounts are similar, we can find out the differences between open and closed accounts. If things are not made up, more info is better...at least for me. And, whatever I conclude with corroboration of others won't be 'the law'. As the new information comes out, the conclusion may or may not change.

Anyway, the importance goes to both already closed and people who survived the purge. Yes, finding the highest amount is next if it's not already known. Since I got kicked out, I stopped paying attention to >$10k reports and don't remember a thing. Now, I have to go back and read 'em. Your $21k might be the highest.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:58 pm

How many loads? That's critical info now.
28 last month. 42 this month. Mostly GCs, some MPs. All bill pay to CC.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
How many GC loads per month and how many months passed since you started loading the account?
One month only so far, my invite got sent to spam so I missed it and forgot about it for a while...

Also loading them where I live has become an issue, I have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to a WM with a Kiosk, so I've cut down on manufacturing this way.

Every load was $500, except the $50 load, all from GC.

Originally Posted by cashback
PainCorp still being open means nothing at this point.
I <3 you too. =P

Everything was sent to CC bill-pay within a week and a half.

Biggest load in a day: $1,500
Biggest balance carried: $1,500
Most loads in a day: 3
All load amounts: $500
Everything exited through bill-pay, except about $5 in charges to keep GD happy.

Last edited by PainCorp; Jun 29, 2013 at 6:07 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

Now that I actually counted (I only tracked the amount loaded to the account), it seems pretty high. I should have treated like a regular bank account or BB (I don't do so many small loads on this one...but I had to drain from PrePaids and couldn't do massive amounts without PrePaids getting closed...in any case, I was a loading whore. Being a whore is so much easier than not being one).

I'm still open with 4500. 5 loads total. Largest load in a day was 1500. I won't do more than 1k from this point if they keep me open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.