Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
wow! the reports are scary. I was planning on unloading roughly $3k of gcs to gobank. Now I'm having second thoughts. given the volume we can do, I don't mind using gobank as my secondary card for like $500 pm for non bonus spend (if there is such a thing when you have 15 cards ). I'm also thinking of setting up a direct deposit for $400/wk. The bill pay feature works well enough and there are plentiful ATMs. Would anybody recommend against direct depositing into gobank?

looks like ACH pulls are not reliable so that's a bummer.

Last edited by mintcilantro; Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 am Reason: ach
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
wow! the reports are scary. I was planning on unloading roughly $3k of gcs to gobank. Now I'm having second thoughts. given the volume we can do, I don't mind using gobank as my secondary card for like $500 pm for non bonus spend (if there is such a thing when you have 15 cards ). I'm also thinking of setting up a direct deposit for $400/wk. The bill pay feature works well enough and there are plentiful ATMs. Would anybody recommend against direct depositing into gobank?

ACH Payments are unrealiable. I have had three returned for NSF when there was clearly sufficient availability.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm going to keep my GB loads at 1k a week max and 5k a month max. Although, that might be iffy given what Ted King reported.

These past few posts have made me appreciate Amex and BB even more. I've never heard a peep out of them and everything runs smoothly.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Now that I think about it, they probably think we are laundering money. I assume that GoBank intended this product for the unbanked that probably wouldn't have more than 1k a month of cash to load to a card. If we are loading more than that, they probably think we are drug dealers or something. I suppose it depends on how we unload it. If we are paying bills, that would be different. Withdrawals by ach or cash probably look worse to them.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Its definitely intended for the unbanked. I just don't get why companies create limitations with their products and then get spooked when people get close to those limits.

I intend to keep going with what I have been doing. Load then bill pay my CC.

Last edited by cashback; Jun 8, 2013 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by cashback
I just don't get why companies create limitations with their products and then get spooked when people get close to those limits.
Isn't Uncle Sam the same--No attempt should be made to “structure” cash transactions to avoid this requirement ($10000).
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by shel
Isn't Uncle Sam the same--No attempt should be made to “structure” cash transactions to avoid this requirement ($10000).
Somewhat the same. The 10K mark isn't a limit, it's a threshold for reporting.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:09 pm

I'm off to Kroger for a GC and then to load GB at WM. I will report back if I have any issues with anything.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by mintcilantro

I say go right ahead, but just view GoBank/GreenDot as a backup tool. Hey, it's not like you're going to get in trouble with the law or anything. Worst case scenario is they ban you for life. Myself and several others are in that boat. But honestly, as far as I'm concerned, it's not a great loss. GreenDot's limits are restrictive, and I'm NOT one of the great unbanked - I will be able to live my whole life without GreenDot and their prepaid cards.

GreenDot is the elder statesman of the prepaid debit card world. My assumption is that they've been profitting off of the unbanked for years now, and prior to Bluebird, they rarely saw customers load $1K at a time, or attempt to load $10K in a month. When I tried to do that, I'm assuming it set off their trip wires. My opinion is that if they wanted to review my account, that's reasonable. To ban me forever, when I'm not doing drug money laundering or credit card theft laundering - which is there biggest sources of fraud - is unreasonable, IMO. But hey, it's their company, and it's their right. I don't have any hard feelings. The fact is, I was taking advantage of them for the miles. But I was using their product as intended, with swipe purchases and bill pay. If that makes me a bad customer, then we agree to disagree.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I say go right ahead, but just view GoBank/GreenDot as a backup tool. Hey, it's not like you're going to get in trouble with the law or anything. Worst case scenario is they ban you for life. Myself and several others are in that boat. But honestly, as far as I'm concerned, it's not a great loss. GreenDot's limits are restrictive, and I'm NOT one of the great unbanked - I will be able to live my whole life without GreenDot and their prepaid cards.

GreenDot is the elder statesman of the prepaid debit card world. My assumption is that they've been profitting off of the unbanked for years now, and prior to Bluebird, they rarely saw customers load $1K at a time, or attempt to load $10K in a month. When I tried to do that, I'm assuming it set off their trip wires. My opinion is that if they wanted to review my account, that's reasonable. To ban me forever, when I'm not doing drug money laundering or credit card theft laundering - which is there biggest sources of fraud - is unreasonable, IMO. But hey, it's their company, and it's their right. I don't have any hard feelings. The fact is, I was taking advantage of them for the miles. But I was using their product as intended, with swipe purchases and bill pay. If that makes me a bad customer, then we agree to disagree.
They don't care - it's a profit/loss decision. Loading lots of $ and not swiping/just paying bills is a money losing proposition for them. They would rather hope you are the unbanked who uses DDeposit from your employer and then swipe to unload - that's their business model.

From reports above, my days are more than short. I've loaded $20K in 3 weeks - all then used for billpay for CCs.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
so loaded my first GC using gobank. Just came back from WM and this is what i see - 06/08
SAT

CREDIT (Pending)

+$500.00

How long does it stay in pending?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:27 pm

The pending status of my reloads at WM with GCs a week ago took 3 days to clear.
Originally Posted by arsenalman
so loaded my first GC using gobank. Just came back from WM and this is what i see - 06/08
SAT

CREDIT (Pending)

+$500.00

How long does it stay in pending?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
The pending status of my reloads at WM with GCs a week ago took 3 days to clear.
But the money should be in your account instantly. I was able to pay a bill the next day, even though it still said pending.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
They don't care - it's a profit/loss decision. Loading lots of $ and not swiping/just paying bills is a money losing proposition for them. They would rather hope you are the unbanked who uses DDeposit from your employer and then swipe to unload - that's their business model.

From reports above, my days are more than short. I've loaded $20K in 3 weeks - all then used for billpay for CCs.
20k?!!! I'm not against anyone making some points and cash back, but that will clearly set off alarm bells. I view GB and BB as slow and steady wins the race. Honestly, it makes the most sense to me to use these to pay bills that I can't already pay with CC, manufacture spend on new CCs, and pay off the CCs. No unbanked person has 20k laying around, unless they are doing something illegal. Why not slow it down and still reap the benefits for a long period of time? Is it worth it to get a quick bushel of miles vs being able to pay all of your bills with CC for an extended period of time?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that these institutions somehow make money on bill pay as well. Otherwise, my banks and credit unions wouldn't harass me every time I log in asking if I want to set up bill pay and telling me that I can win a prize if I set up bill pay. They make money off of it somehwo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.