Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by vinhboy
How do they charge a fee if you keep your balance at Zero? Do they take your balance into the negative?
i had a balance
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Does the new MasterCard load at the WM kiosk? I tried to load my wife's GoBank MasterCard at it didn't work. It said card type not accepted. For reference my Visa GoBank worked.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
My RA's have pulled all the GDMP's early (before the feb. 1 ending date). Has anyone had success loading at register w/ cc? If so is the procedure for the cashier intuitive for them?
I tried a while back and it didn't work for the GoBank card. There were two options on the POS terminal and neither worked.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
I tried a while back and it didn't work for the GoBank card. There were two options on the POS terminal and neither worked.
As in two card types that could be loaded? I was hoping maybe to get my hr block card loading at the register. I tried serve a while ago and it didn't work.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Does the new MasterCard load at the WM kiosk? I tried to load my wife's GoBank MasterCard at it didn't work. It said card type not accepted. For reference my Visa GoBank worked.
I load my new GoBank MC at the registers and it works, so I don't see why it would not work with Kate. Never had a chance to try a Kate load yet though.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by vinhboy
I load my new GoBank MC at the registers and it works, so I don't see why it would not work with Kate. Never had a chance to try a Kate load yet though.
Both visa and mc wotrk at register and kate, if you can find a functional kate.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fuerza
I got the same message at Kate. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Both visa and mc wotrk at register and kate, if you can find a functional kate.
+1^
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:05 pm

The very first point is wiki is very much true. Never let the cashier scan your card for loading. I went through this ordeal, i had to involve the store manager to get my money back, not to mention, the awkward questions like- why are you loading one pre-paid card from the other pre-paid card.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:51 am

what are the loading capabilities of the temp card? or do you have to wait for the permanent?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:49 am

Stays alive requirement

Personally I don't like the wiki title for stay alive: "Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe".

I have my gobank card for 18 months. I only have one swipe $25 or less for the entire 18 months. 80% of the time my balance was over $2K to $4k since I am not in a hurry to spend it. I loaded about $4K to 4.5K each month. I have one Direct Deposit for $20 per month. I paid $1 month fee. I am still alive for 18 months.

My wife's gobank card is also alive for 11 months now. My wife card didn't swipe at all. Paid $1 month fee also. One Direct Deposit for $10 per month.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I was shutdown earlier by GB, can i buy the new card at WM and register?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by concordian
I was shutdown earlier by GB, can i buy the new card at WM and register?
no you're banned for life for greendot product.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by wuchien6401
Personally I don't like the wiki title for stay alive: "Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe".

I have my gobank card for 18 months. I only have one swipe $25 or less for the entire 18 months. 80% of the time my balance was over $2K to $4k since I am not in a hurry to spend it. I loaded about $4K to 4.5K each month. I have one Direct Deposit for $20 per month. I paid $1 month fee. I am still alive for 18 months.

My wife's gobank card is also alive for 11 months now. My wife card didn't swipe at all. Paid $1 month fee also. One Direct Deposit for $10 per month.
Glad it's working well for you.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
Could someone help to confirm whether ACH from bank or paypal waive the monthly fee?
thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.