Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:49 pm

They got me.

I was slowly but surely increasing my deposit amounts.
They got me with one $4k billpay this month and a dozen WM loads.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:04 pm

It seems quite clear to me they don't want WM loads.

FTers/MSers are not their target audience.

I wonder why they are so a$$-retentive by closing the accounts.

Only hurts their statistics.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
It seems quite clear to me they don't want WM loads.

FTers/MSers are not their target audience.

I wonder why they are so a$$-retentive by closing the accounts.

Only hurts their statistics.
The common theory is that WM charges them fee and they don't like losing money.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:08 am

Is go bank like the greendot prepaids?

You can load with moneypaks online and other things and can just send payment for free to your cc's or other?

That is how I am using the greendot prepaid card I have and I am avoiding fees because I am doing enough. It is a nice alternative to BB and I just have to drive 4 miles instead of 15. greendot prepaids can have a ton of fees but not if you load enough.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
The common theory is that WM charges them fee and they don't like losing money.
Ah, I see. Well, nobody does.

Originally Posted by aeneas3

You can load with moneypaks online and other things and can just send payment for free to your cc's or other?

That is how I am using the greendot prepaid card I have and I am avoiding fees because I am doing enough. It is a nice alternative to BB and I just have to drive 4 miles instead of 15. greendot prepaids can have a ton of fees but not if you load enough.
yeah, but very few of us can buy greendots w/ccs.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:59 pm

I think loading GB with MP is limited to the initial load.

How long have you been loading a ton on your greendot prepaids?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
I think loading GB with MP is limited to the initial load.

How long have you been loading a ton on your greendot prepaids?
started out slow this month. I have an RA I can buy both prepaids and the moneypacks with CC. With the prepaid you have limits of $2500/day, $2500 max on the card at a time (even with pending payment) and payments take 3-5 days. It is important to not go over the max limit on the card. So far so good. I figure I will ride this while I can. Of note, moneypacks are also loadable to accountnow also. Going to stop by RA today and buy another 1.5k since a payment just posted yesterday bringing the current account total to $1k. I am also limited myself to 1 GD prepaid account. I am hoping to do 2k per week but with the slow payments we shall see how it goes

Also, you can load GD prepaids with moneypacks as many times as you want as long as you are within limits. Direct pay is free too.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:59 am

Logged in this morning to find I was shut down. Not surprising since I've been liquidating GCs lately. Put 1k in last month, small purchases, BP the rest. Last week I started loading 2.5k a day. WM kiosk messed up on a load Friday, next load said I was over my balance limit and was rejected. Probably my fault for not realizing my balance. Saturday things went fine. Only got about $10k in in before shut down. Oh well.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:38 am

Has anyone had a swipe reload post then unpost? I swiped $500 x2 on Sat, first one showed up into my account immediately, second one took 10-15 minutes but eventually showed up. Now when I log into my account there is no recent load activity.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Has anyone had a swipe reload post then unpost? I swiped $500 x2 on Sat, first one showed up into my account immediately, second one took 10-15 minutes but eventually showed up. Now when I log into my account there is no recent load activity.
Has happened to me before..
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by jrey
Which card did you use to get 5X? I am asking where.. just which card...
Citi's TYP 5X GGD first 12 months. And the Ink cards, of course.

Last edited by Preacher7; Oct 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:47 pm

It seems like we can reload GB at 7-11 now.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:51 pm

another flawless 2k today at my local RA with moneypacks. this is getting nice
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:57 pm

another flawless 2k today at my local RA with moneypacks. this is getting nice
Be careful with MPs. I wont touch them anymore. I've had cards not activated properly and GD makes it a pain to get back. I know of one guy who had 2 GD cards not activated and never got it back (1K).

GD is a terrible terrible company.

Read the last couple pages of this...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...oneypak-5.html
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
It seems like we can reload GB at 7-11 now.
Yeah. I didn't notice any changes announced today that'll slow down MS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.