Wiki Posts
Search

Account Now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by kcblakely
*Purpose of PayPal card is for consumer use
They want you to use the product the way they intended it to be. Not the way you want to use it. If you disagree, you got shut down.
It's "normal" practice for prepaid vendors.
They don't care much about CC companies.

They want to make money from using their prepaid, ideally for signature (expensive) transactions. Many of them.
Just dumping all the value of card in one go doesn't make them happy, as they rightly noted.

PayPal especially monitor their product usage. Same do GD. They are especially known for that.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pier11
They want you to use the product the way they intended it to be. Not the way you want to use it. If you disagree, you got shut down.
It's "normal" practice for prepaid vendors.
They don't care much about CC companies.

They want to make money from using their prepaid, ideally for signature (expensive) transactions. Many of them.
Just dumping all the value of card in one go doesn't make them happy, as they rightly noted.

PayPal especially monitor their product usage. Same do GD. They are especially known for that.
Yes.

of course when companies say things like, "well you didn't use it as intended" I always make them show me exactly where it says I cannot do what I did in their own T&Cs (in this case, we bought things that could be loaded to the cards and then used as bill payers, which is fine. How we bought them and the number of them we bought is what gets under their skin). If there is no rule against WHAT we did, I tell them to F off and give me my money or my XYZ whatever I did. If they do not, you must SUE EM!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
all good datapoints. thanks.

but all this means is that they now know why many of us even do all this... to get miles. There is no abuse though, so long as the credit cards you use dont mind it or have no T&Cs against it, which many do not (including citi 5x btw)

it is called ABUSE by them because (A) they cant understand it and it's a lot of money for them and (B) because each transaction or swipe is supposed to earn them money but what we do makes for so few swipes and ones that cost us nothing, that they make NO money on us, so WE hurt THEM in their eyes... or, we abuse them in their eyes. That's all this is: About the MONEY!

If you cant get your funds, to heck with all the flubbub... threaten to sue the bastids! That's my wife's next move should Acct Now FAIL to have her money in her hands by Aug 8th at the latest (and that's them abusing HER!)
Don't pop a vessel there, MM. You'll get your $. It's been said and demonstrated a hundred times; A)they might rake you over the coals for a while, but you will eventually get your $ and B)if having a few $K locked up for a month or two is an issue, find some other hobby.

And FWIW, don't threaten to sue. If you're gonna sue, sue, and let them find out about it with a summons.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But dont you see that vein on my forehead and the same bead of sweat as the guy from Total Recall?
Lol

Yes i can float the money but it does anger me, the way they do things.

And as for suing, i find the threat often works and we will do it if nec.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:36 am

Just as an update, when my account now was shutdown I moved onto paypower, it does charge a 5.95 monthly fee which has now been charged to me once. It has billpay and I have moved 20K through it in the first month, all loads done with reloadit bought at grocery stores then billpay out to cc.

Have not been shutdown yet but may be soon, might be worth a try for others who are lost after the AN purge.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wont use a bancorp backed prepaid card again. They are scammers.

My wife's $2k account now check just came by UPS and they made us sign for it. But we got it. DONE!

What was great (and very necessary given the circumstances) was the fact that during the week, my wife was still traveling so I had a miles-savvy female friend call in AS her to be her and get them to mail it. ACCT NOW tried to say, "oh we need to investigate more etc etc blah blah" but my friend laid into them and said "hey you promised this check 2 weeks ago and now I want it or I will sue!" And they sent it UPS. As posted earlier, my wife had also just filed with the FDIC. I guess it takes ALL THAT to get anywhere with these arseholes!

You gotsta do what you gotsta do.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Anyone Use Bill Pay Today?

I tried to use bill pay (via check) today, but it would let me get to the bill pay page. No indication that my account was shutdown, since I have access to every other page and loaded funds today as well. It's just that when I click on the Bill Pay link, it doesn't take me anywhere. Anyone have similar or different experience today?

xlax
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:38 am

I have AN and have managed to skate through the recent wave of closures. (xlax, my bill pay is still working as of this morning). But I am running into a problem: I used to reload with ReloadIt or MPs. I live in NYC. Both have become unavailable at my usual spots (A particular grocery store for the first, RA for the second). Anyone have any suggestions?

I have ~$1k in there so I could just BP it out and be done with it, but would prefer to keep it going if possible.

FWIW: I load probably $1000-3000 per month, BP anywhere from $1000-3000 per month, and make some miscellaneous debit transactions from time to time. Been doing this maybe since late last year.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
I have AN and have managed to skate through the recent wave of closures. (xlax, my bill pay is still working as of this morning). But I am running into a problem: I used to reload with ReloadIt or MPs. I live in NYC. Both have become unavailable at my usual spots (A particular grocery store for the first, RA for the second). Anyone have any suggestions?

I have ~$1k in there so I could just BP it out and be done with it, but would prefer to keep it going if possible.

FWIW: I load probably $1000-3000 per month, BP anywhere from $1000-3000 per month, and make some miscellaneous debit transactions from time to time. Been doing this maybe since late last year.
our cards were similarly used. We did go a bit higher--the max is $5k a month in loads. We also had them for a far less time than yours.

I often wonder about closures: Is it when people reach an amount: ie, say $30k and then done, or is it length? ie, $3k per month x 10 months = $30k vs someone who did say $5k a month x 6 months. Both equal the same amount but one took less time to get there. Or is it random?

Either way my inclination is that you should just shut it down. Yes, be the one to close them on good terms now (and now that the godz have spoken by taking away your methods anyway) instead of being caught with cash in there and having to fight for it like my wife and I had to!

get out while you can, I think.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
I'll try the email approach first. I don't feel like spending any more time (on the phone) with these people than I have to.
I managed to get my money back from AN without having to call them, but it took quite a while. Here's a quick summary in case someone wants to take the email approach:
  • July 6: Initial email requesting for the check (including pertinent info) to be sent to "the address on the account" -- those were my words in lieu of the actual address
  • July 10: Reply from AN asking I call customer service to "verify" my account despite the fact I included my account info in the email
  • July 13: I reply to AN pointing out that in their reply they already verified my account was closed, and requested the check again
  • July 31: Having not heard back from our good buddies at AN, I requested a status update
  • August 1: They reply back to me asking for a little more info (address and DOB -- this may have been their verification)
  • August 1: I email back with the requested info
  • August 1: They reply to me saying I can expect my check in 10-14 business days, and to allow more time for "mailing"
  • August 12: Check arrived

At no point was I harsh or angry in my words, nor was I joyful; simply business-like. Still, it shouldn't have taken over a month.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:31 am

As I mentioned above I am no longer able to buy MPs so this may be all moot. But I have a question for those of you who can still use AN.

Just before realizing that my RA doesn't sell MPs anymore, I set up a small direct deposit into AN. $5 per paycheck. This comes out to $10/mo. (which can obviously easily be liquidated through BP). I don't hear about people using small DD amounts -- but I wonder if doing this keeps the card issuer happy, and makes you less likely to get shut down?

Any thoughts on this approach--whether for AN or others?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by crimson12
Any thoughts on this approach--whether for AN or others?
If DD is from your real employer and deducted automatically, it would look silly to your employer when DD start failing in case AN closes your account for undisclosed reasons as they do.

So it suddenly will create problem to you with your employer.

I can't consider AN a serious account to divert part of my paycheck to them. Their actions proved it.

my $.02
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by pier11
If DD is from your real employer and deducted automatically, it would look silly to your employer when DD start failing in case AN closes your account for undisclosed reasons as they do.

So it suddenly will create problem to you with your employer.

I can't consider AN a serious account to divert part of my paycheck to them. Their actions proved it.

my $.02
PrePaids are not "checking alternative" like BB. The purpose is different.

my $.02.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
PrePaids are not "checking alternative" like BB. The purpose is different.

my $.02.
Not sure why you mean by "'checking alternative' like BB." What do you use your checking account for? I use mine to write checks, make ATM withdrawals, and occasionally use my debit card. AN offers all of those (albeit there are fees attached, but that's a separate issue). I suppose there maybe some things my checking account offers that AN doesn't (with Chase Private Client I get free wire transfers, I suppose) but I suspect for 99% of people, checks, ATMs, and debit card are the main uses of a checking account.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:49 pm

So I'm coming a little bit late to the game as MP for CCs are not available near me and I *just* found a good source for ReloadIts.

I ordered an AccountNow card a few days ago, not realizing all the drama that occurred with the shut downs.

Is it even worth trying to use it at this point? Should I go with NS pay-as-you-go instead? Or are they as likely to bring down the Axe?

Any recommendations for the best ways to liquidate the ReloadIts are much appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.