Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Paypal MyCash $500 daily load limit resets after 12:00am EST
Paypal MyCash $4000 per calendar month load limit resets after 3:00am EST

An additional $4000 per month can be loaded using Greendot Moneypaks. See the Moneypak thread for issues with these. Limit purchases to no more than 2 x $500 at a time.

To get a live PayPal MyCash representative, call 1-855-721-5035, press 1 to all the voice prompts until it asks you for your PIN, and then press 0#, 0#, and 0#.

If you are getting error code 26 when loading MyCash to your account:
  1. Login to Paypal on a computer, not phone
  2. Go to settings (it is the gear)
  3. Choose selling tools on the left
  4. Scroll down to: Block payments -- Limit payments, add instructions, and more -- and choose update
  5. On the page "Payment Receiving Preferences" select the first radio button, "For the items not sold on eBay, Only allow payments from the users with confirmed address."
  6. Be sure that NO is chosen
  7. Save and you are done
Print Wikipost

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've loaded PP with PP cards from CVS before, but I don't really know what to do with them? I've read too many horror stories of accounts being shut down after transferring funds to bank account even >1 month later. I've used PP with Ebay for about a decade now so I have good history, but some of the reports out there by people who've gotten burned are also veterans of PP (assuming they're true). I've thought about transferring funds to someone (like my sister, who has a different last name and home address) with PP, and then having her transfer funds to me via AP. Any reason I'll run into problems with this?
Well, I was one of those horror stories (although not so bad as compared to others). I blithely loaded $3K PP reloads on to my PP account and then transferred to bank accounts (had $4K monthly limit, so should be fine, right?).

Worked fine for the first $3K. Then account suspension - no warning. Asked for "more information" which I submitted, yet they never reopened the account (I don't think any amount of information would get the account reopened - they were simply trolling for more personal information - and I was naive to comply - hadn't done anything wrong, so why would I think my account would be suspended?). To be azzwipes, they reversed my last $500 transfer and are holding for 180 days.

Even though I've dealt with PP for years and had the usual hassles (and read other horror stories), I thought their actions draconian and unwarranted - why not give a warning first? It's piss poor customer relations, as usual. If Amazon got their act together, they could crush eBay if they opened up an auction site - you'd see mass exodus.

My advice, if you get account suspension for PP reload activity, and they ask for more details, forget it - just move on. You can open another account anyway (or at least I have been able to). But no PayPal reloads ever again for me - just a royal PITA.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Well, I was one of those horror stories (although not so bad as compared to others). I blithely loaded $3K PP reloads on to my PP account and then transferred to bank accounts (had $4K monthly limit, so should be fine, right?).

Worked fine for the first $3K. Then account suspension - no warning. Asked for "more information" which I submitted, yet they never reopened the account (I don't think any amount of information would get the account reopened - they were simply trolling for more personal information - and I was naive to comply - hadn't done anything wrong, so why would I think my account would be suspended?). To be azzwipes, they reversed my last $500 transfer and are holding for 180 days.

Even though I've dealt with PP for years and had the usual hassles (and read other horror stories), I thought their actions draconian and unwarranted - why not give a warning first? It's piss poor customer relations, as usual. If Amazon got their act together, they could crush eBay if they opened up an auction site - you'd see mass exodus.

My advice, if you get account suspension for PP reload activity, and they ask for more details, forget it - just move on. You can open another account anyway (or at least I have been able to). But no PayPal reloads ever again for me - just a royal PITA.
But what happens to the funds on hold if you walk away?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is there anyway to automatically set paypal to send all funds in my account to my checking account?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
It seems that I have been pretty lucky with paypal. I did get my account frozen once when I tried to transfer $2,500 worth of PayPal My Cash funds to my bank account, but after submitting the required information, my account was was unlocked within one day. After that experience though, I'm just going to stick to Vanilla Reloads.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by nep301
It seems that I have been pretty lucky with paypal. I did get my account frozen once when I tried to transfer $2,500 worth of PayPal My Cash funds to my bank account, but after submitting the required information, my account was was unlocked within one day. After that experience though, I'm just going to stick to Vanilla Reloads.
What's your history with PayPal? Do you use it for "normal" purchases like ebay listings? Also was that 2.5K transfer the first big transfer? Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the paypal savings account? I'm about to do a 5 digit deposit to test out their 5% APY.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by julp
The first time I transferred funds to my spouse I selected the category "Services" and got slapped with a transfer fee. So now I only use "Gift" as a transfer category, which is free. Not sure about how the other categories are handled though.
Good info, thanks! I was afraid to transfer as well...I wonder why one category doesn't have a fee and the other does.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:15 pm

So transfer from the PP account balance as "gift" are free? But if I want to pay a "gift" to someone via credit card, that gets charged 3%? I guess that makes sense.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sk8uno
You can buy the cards with a CC.
Where? The CVS stores I've visited treat all PP cards like GreenDot - only cash or debit w. pin.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:18 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Does anyone have any knowledge if Walgreens stopped allowing CCs to purchase Paypal reloads as well? Or was it just the VR's?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Where? The CVS stores I've visited treat all PP cards like GreenDot - only cash or debit w. pin.
As with most of these things, your results will vary from chain to chain, store to store, and cashier to cashier. You can have success at CVS.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:13 pm

Money laundering at its finest.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by slickwalletalk

Sorry, but that is an idiotic comment. We aren't laundering. We are churning. Massive difference. One is illegal. The other isn't.

The CC companies could put a stop to this in a nanosecond by lowering bonus categories. They could then lower Annual Fees and interest rates. But the CC companies don't. Now why do you suppose that is? Hint: It has to do with lots and lots and lots of profit$ under the status quo...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:46 pm

I was looking from a PayPal perspective. Their fraud ques are lined with this type of activity. Funds entering and exciting quickly with no purchases and straight to a bank or spouses account is highly suspicious. Just saying. Technically it's not money laundering but fraudsters do the same thing.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by slickwalletalk

According to Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of laundering is
"to transfer (as illegally obtained money or investments) through an outside party to conceal the true source."

Cite the evidence(s) to support your observation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.