$6000 every rolling 12 months

Withdraw limits:
1 free withdrawal per calendar month
Print Wikipost

AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition

Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by wanymayold
I tried at my local store but failed.
The cashier was not familiar with the program but was willing to try.
However, he told me that the system gave him an error saying it can not load my card.(first time try to load it)
Tried again couple days later, same cashier with his boss. Failed again, same reason. Neither of them had any clue. They suggested me to call Amex.
I called Amex later, the agent told me that my card is fine. He believe this store is unwilling to let me reload money and I should buy greendot instead. :-(

Will try another store later. Hopefully, it will work there.
Is your local store at a college campus? It has to be a store listed at bncollege.com.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Zooter
Quote:

I tried at my local store but failed.
The cashier was not familiar with the program but was willing to try.
However, he told me that the system gave him an error saying it can not load my card.(first time try to load it)
Tried again couple days later, same cashier with his boss. Failed again, same reason. Neither of them had any clue. They suggested me to call Amex.
I called Amex later, the agent told me that my card is fine. He believe this store is unwilling to let me reload money and I should buy greendot instead. :-(

Will try another store later. Hopefully, it will work there.

Is your local store at a college campus? It has to be a store listed at bncollege.com.
It indeed is on the list.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It indeed is on the list.
What keys did they press to load it? After back and forth with cashier/manager who swore that you couldn't load the card in their store, I was finally told by the manager to have the cashier try to load it like a gift card. That worked.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:03 am

Anyone having trouble with verifying email address on ordering these cards? Can't get links for my request or my wife's request (different emails) to properly verify. Site spits out an error message.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:13 pm

I have had the worst luck with this product, and as a long time American Express cardholder, I'm sorely disappointed with them for creating a terrible experience with one of their products.

I originally tried requesting this card online, and I ran into the same problem I've seen detailed across a few blogs: the dreaded undefined error. I tried applying no less than 12 times with different combinations of my address (different abbreviations, listings, etc) with no luck.

I called customer service out of desperation, and a rather brusque AMEX representative told me that I would have to go buy a temporary card at a campus bookstore and try to register it that way.

A couple days later, I ran into a nearby BN College Bookstore and bought a temporary AMEX Campus Edition from the huge display. I loaded $500 onto it with no problem. When I went home, I tried registering the temporary card to get the permanent card, and I got back the same annoying, unhelpful undefined error. I called customer service again, and this agent acted bewildered that another agent told me the buy the card. He said that AMEX was phasing the Campus Edition card out in favor of Serve and that it isn't possible to get a Campus Edition card through the website any longer.

When I asked why the website was still active, and why campus bookstores were still marketing the Campus Edition card, he said that the phaseout was still in process. I then asked how I was supposed to get the money I loaded off of the card without an ATM PIN since I didn't want to do it through normal spend. He offered to turn on the features of the personalized card, including the ability to reload it and withdraw from an ATM.

I went to the website this morning to register my account, and I saw the features were still inactive. I called for the third time, and reached an agent who now told me that my errors were because my address would not verify against my Social Security Number. I told her that I tried so many combinations, and that there was really nothing more than I could do, she insisted on talking to her technical team. I also asked if the card was on the way out, and she said that Campus Edition and American Express PASS are being phased out in favor of AMEX's Serve and BlueBird products, but she would work with her technical team to get me a personalized card. She said that Serve is a superior product, but I would definitely get a Campus Edition card if I wanted it. I just needed to call back in 3-5 business days to get an update on my case.

Word of warning: If you have a card that earns 5x points (old Citi Forward) or 5% cash back (Sallie Mae), then you may want to try getting a Campus Edition while you still can before they stop issuing them altogether. However, don't expect the process to be at all smooth.

I'll offer an update whenever I can... in 3 to 5 business days.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
So what is going to happen to all of us who still have the AMEX CE but are about to MAX it out for the year, LOL ... Question, anyone still able to reload the card at BN Universities? I notice that when I go to the log in page, the Serve Prepaid comes up saying the CE is gone forever and I have to scroll down to get into the log in part for the Amex CE, exactly as litesalt said.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by carlitos
So what is going to happen to all of us who still have the AMEX CE but are about to MAX it out for the year, LOL ... Question, anyone still able to reload the card at BN Universities? I notice that when I go to the log in page, the Serve Prepaid comes up saying the CE is gone forever and I have to scroll down to get into the log in part for the Amex CE, exactly as litesalt said.
I loaded about a week ago. Do you know if the yearly load limits are by calendar year?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
I loaded about a week ago. Do you know if the yearly load limits are by calendar year?
Load limits are:

$1000 every rolling 30 days
$6000 every rolling 12 months
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:32 pm

Finally have an update!

I was on the phone with AMEX for about an hour last night, and for the first time with them, I had to ask for a supervisor.

The first representative I talked to kept telling me, "I'm sorry, we cannot process any new Campus Edition registrations." This was despite the numerous things I was told by my first three attempts at ordering a permanent card over the phone. I finally got frustrated enough to ask for the supervisor.

When the supervisor came on the phone, he told me the same line, and that it was impossible to unlock reloading on a temporary card (as the second AMEX representative told me), but he said that he could unlock an ATM withdrawl feature on the card. While we were talking about my doing that, he out of nowhere said, "Would you like me to see if I can make an exception for you and see if we can process a new Campus Edition registration?" I gave him an unqualified YES!

He put me on hold for a little bit, then came back and asked for my address, SSN, and full name, then put me on hold again. He finally came back and said, "I have good news for you. We processed the registration, and you are getting what will probably be one of the last Campus Edition cards we will issue."

Even though I was frustrated that AMEX phased this card out in an uncharacteristically poor way (the registration website was live until this past weekend, temporary cards are still on sale at college bookstores, and the representatives were all saying different things), I am very pleased that I'll get the card I want.

For those wondering why I fought so hard for a Campus Edition while Serve and its cousins Redbird and Bluebird are superior, Campus Edition will be help me maximize the Sallie Mae MasterCard's 5% bookstore category up to Campus Edition's $6,000 annual limit.

That combined with maxing out my grocery benefit with RedBird will lead me to approximately $450 in profit over the course of a year (if neither product changes substantially, which I am not betting on). This does not include the $120 per month gas spending I put on the card at 5% cash back, but I do not anticipate maxing out that category.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by litesalt
I was on the phone with AMEX for about an hour last night, and for the first time with them, I had to ask for a supervisor.

The first representative I talked to kept telling me, "I'm sorry, we cannot process any new Campus Edition registrations." This was despite the numerous things I was told by my first three attempts at ordering a permanent card over the phone. I finally got frustrated enough to ask for the supervisor.

When the supervisor came on the phone, he told me the same line, and that it was impossible to unlock reloading on a temporary card (as the second AMEX representative told me), but he said that he could unlock an ATM withdrawl feature on the card. While we were talking about my doing that, he out of nowhere said, "Would you like me to see if I can make an exception for you and see if we can process a new Campus Edition registration?" I gave him an unqualified YES!

He put me on hold for a little bit, then came back and asked for my address, SSN, and full name, then put me on hold again. He finally came back and said, "I have good news for you. We processed the registration, and you are getting what will probably be one of the last Campus Edition cards we will issue."

Even though I was frustrated that AMEX phased this card out in an uncharacteristically poor way (the registration website was live until this past weekend, temporary cards are still on sale at college bookstores, and the representatives were all saying different things), I am very pleased that I'll get the card I want.

For those wondering why I fought so hard for a Campus Edition while Serve and its cousins Redbird and Bluebird are superior, Campus Edition will be help me maximize the Sallie Mae MasterCard's 5% bookstore category up to Campus Edition's $6,000 annual limit.

That combined with maxing out my grocery benefit with RedBird will lead me to approximately $450 in profit over the course of a year (if neither product changes substantially, which I am not betting on). This does not include the $120 per month gas spending I put on the card at 5% cash back, but I do not anticipate maxing out that category.
The only surprising part to me is that the supervisor made and exception and got you a permanent card, or so he says. They phased out the old Amex Prepaid (the blue ones) the same way. In fact, I purchased 3 temp cards at CVS and faced the same website issues as the CE card has now. I called and faced the same resistance. The rep I spoke with told me she issued a permanent card for one of them (I only mentioned I had one). A few weeks later, it hadn't arrived, so I called back and was told there was never a permanent card issued and I must have misunderstood, that they no longer issued permanent cards for this product. Anyways, hoping for a better result for you.

I don't blame you at all for fighting for this one. Super easy and goes great with the legacy Forward card or the Sallie Mae card. Especially great for those of us with fee-free ATMs.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
The only surprising part to me is that the supervisor made and exception and got you a permanent card, or so he says. They phased out the old Amex Prepaid (the blue ones) the same way. In fact, I purchased 3 temp cards at CVS and faced the same website issues as the CE card has now. I called and faced the same resistance. The rep I spoke with told me she issued a permanent card for one of them (I only mentioned I had one). A few weeks later, it hadn't arrived, so I called back and was told there was never a permanent card issued and I must have misunderstood, that they no longer issued permanent cards for this product. Anyways, hoping for a better result for you.

I don't blame you at all for fighting for this one. Super easy and goes great with the legacy Forward card or the Sallie Mae card. Especially great for those of us with fee-free ATMs.
Glad to know there are others out there who know the frustration! I have had nothing but good interactions with AMEX - at least on the credit card and Serve-like prepaid card side of things. I wonder if these other prepaids are a different, less trained division of AMEX? If so, then maybe I should be glad they're going away.

And I WISH I would have gotten into the credit card game before they discontinued the Forward. That card seems like a dream. If only there were a phantom legacy link somewhere around the internet like there is for old AMEX Blue Cash!

I'll post when/if I get the Campus Edition card. (I'll hope for the former.)

P.S. Fee-free ATMs? Tell me more. A credit union perhaps?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by litesalt
Glad to know there are others out there who know the frustration! I have had nothing but good interactions with AMEX - at least on the credit card and Serve-like prepaid card side of things. I wonder if these other prepaids are a different, less trained division of AMEX? If so, then maybe I should be glad they're going away.

And I WISH I would have gotten into the credit card game before they discontinued the Forward. That card seems like a dream. If only there were a phantom legacy link somewhere around the internet like there is for old AMEX Blue Cash!

I'll post when/if I get the Campus Edition card. (I'll hope for the former.)

P.S. Fee-free ATMs? Tell me more. A credit union perhaps?
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/low-fee-no-fee-atms/
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:07 am

edit- I see this card is no longer available for new applicants.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:36 am

Awesome resource - thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
If you live in Ohio or one of the surrounding states (at least PA and IN, I think), Turkey Hill gas stations have true fee-free ATMs. There are two within a mile of the University where I work/teach, so it's pretty easy for me to hit the B&N campus bookstore and then the Turkey Hill ATM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.