Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Do debit cards used to reload serve, bluebird, redbird, prepaid cards earn rewards?

Do debit cards used to reload serve, bluebird, redbird, prepaid cards earn rewards?

Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Hello, all

New to all the manufactured spending, but do you know if debit cards (actual bank debit cards linked to a checking account) used to reload serve, bluebird, redbird, and others can earn cash backs and/or miles just as they would if you are using them to make regular purchases?

I live in Hawaii and Bank of Hawaii currently has a debit card ($3 monthly fee) that will earn 1 Hawaiian mile for every $2 "qualifying" dollars of purchase. Yes, I know it's not much but there's really not that many ways to earn Hawaiian miles. We also have Membership rewards and can transfer those to HA at 1:1. With the BOH Hawaiian miles debit, earning miles is limited to 1000 per month (so $2000 worth of purchases). So this is basically $3 monthly fee for 1000 HA miles if reloading cards is considered qualifying.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawa...-programs.aspx

My sister has the Hawaiian Miles world elite mastercard. With this a roundtrip from HI to mainland US requires 35000 miles or about $750 on Hawaiian so I could get a value of about 2c per mile. With inter-island it cost 7500 miles or about $70-80 one way so a value of about 1c per mile. So, to me it makes sense to spend the $3 monthly if I can earn 1000 miles a month.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:41 pm

likely
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:47 pm

It would certainly depend on the financial institution. My debit card from my CU has 0.5% Cash-Back. The one time I loaded RedBird with it, it showed like any other transaction processed as "credit" (through Visa, vs. a debit processor).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Excellent! I will try then.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:26 am

I get miles when using ST SM debit card to load Bluebird.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.