Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE 01/17/15

BeFrugal: 1.5%
Big Crumbs: 0.9%
TopCashBack: 1.5%

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?

Citi - Yes.

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (load RB, buy Visa/MC GCs, VRs, AP, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days
100K business every 14 days

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase.
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I just did an hour of searching and reading posts after my Travelocity card would not approve again for AGC.
Did I read here somewhere the Amex cards do not earn moles or points for GC purchases or is that my imagination. I may as well use the SPG card or Plat for a purchase today but want to make sure it is not in vein!!
Thanks!
Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Here's hoping they don't earn moles!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
Eh, that sucks, concern is if liquidation methods will stay viable into the new year, would be great if this was til noon to give ample time for testing but that happens to occur right along side general opening times, which means there will not be ample time for testing prior to ordering. I'd hate to be stuck with 10k in AmEx GC
Sometimes you gotta take a risk.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:08 pm

just to confirm, no purchase fee or no shipping fee codes invalidate cash back with the portals, correct?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:44 pm

Does it need a bigger font in the wiki?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Does it need a bigger font in the wiki?
I'm thinking like a 72 with a facepalm?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by josephstern
Here's hoping they don't earn moles!
Well it is an underground way to get miles!! I know a lot of moles!!
And to quote Oliver in Marathon Man.... "Is it Safe"?

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:52 pm

I just did an hour of searching and reading posts after my Travelocity card would not approve again for AGC.
Did I read here somewhere the Amex cards do not earn miles or points for GC purchases or is that my imagination? I may as well use the SPG card or Plat for a purchase today but want to make sure it is not in vain!!
Thanks!
Cheers!
JudyJFLA
I've purchased AGC with my Amex and SPG cards and have gotten the points. Happy MS!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Thanks!
$20K it is, I just miss the 4% from my grandfathered Travelocity card!!
JudyJFLA
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Thanks!
$20K it is, I just miss the 4% from my grandfathered Travelocity card!!
JudyJFLA
Hope you are mixing in some business cards with that $20k.
Per the T&C's on tcb:
Please note; there is a $10,000 limit on Consumer Gift Cards and $100,000 limit on Business Gift Cards per 14 days.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:55 pm

Just curious,

What are people buying in Barnes and Noble? The activity through TCB is up 1700%, 2nd next to AMEX. And per TCB T&C, buy GCs in Barnes&Noble does not earn cash back.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by adobe
Just curious,

What are people buying in Barnes and Noble? The activity through TCB is up 1700%, 2nd next to AMEX. And per TCB T&C, buy GCs in Barnes&Noble does not earn cash back.
Yes, you're right. Barnes and Noble is not on my circuit.

And I also noticed that AmEx GCs at TCB are up 5489%. Does anyone in this thread know why?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Yes, you're right. Barnes and Noble is not on my circuit.

And I also noticed that AmEx GCs at TCB are up 5489%. Does anyone in this thread know why?
TCB is at 2.25% for Amex GC currently.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by RavenHawk
TCB is at 2.25% for Amex GC currently.
You missed the sarcasm
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:52 pm

American Express Gift Card Fee Waiver & Free Shipping Promotional Codes January 2015

Just found this - http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/amer...otional-codes/

I tested out the codes (didn't click any of the links) and the codes work. I did not test out the free shipping and did not make a purchase.

Enjoy!

American Express Gift Card Fee Waiver and Free Shipping Promotional Codes – January 2015
by HU$TLER on JANUARY 1, 2015

Check out the most complete list of American Express Gift Card Fee Waiver and Free Shipping Promo Codes from below. Easily get $8.95 or $5.95 in discount savings from the free shipping codes, and $3.95 discount from the purchase fees. Your Amex gift cards have no monthly fees, no inactivity fees, and the funds don’t expire. This is a perfect gift to your friends and family, especially to your co-workers in the workplace!

They give you the option to get your business American Express gift cards with custom messages or even your business logo on them. If you choose the eGift card option, Amex will gladly email straight to your inbox to be used right away. You can purchase business gift cards for up to $75,000! However, the maximum amount for a personal gift card can only be up to $5,000.

Need to spend certain amount on your new credit card to get the bonus money? Your best way to fulfill the spending requirement is to buy American Express Gift Card which can be use to buy almost anything. American Express Gift Card is a great gift idea and can be useful for future purchases.

NO PURCHASE FEES: Our gift to you. American Express® Gift Cards make your holiday shopping simple. No purchase fees before 2/28/2015 with code NOVCP. Apply Code Here!

Buy Now

*Updated: January 1, 2015*

Pay No Purchase Fees Now

OCT13TO – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/28/2015. Apply Code Here!
NOVCP – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/28/2015. Apply Code Here!
DEC13UO – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/28/2015. Apply Code Here!
NOV13WO – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/28/2015. Apply Code Here!
JTB2C – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/15/2015. Apply Code Here!
JTB2B – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/15/2015. Apply Code Here!
CYPERCP – 100% OFF PURCHASE FEES. Shipping fees apply. Code expires 2/28/2015. Apply Code Here!

Consumers Amex Gift Cards: It’s not too late to give a great holiday gift. In a rush? Send an American Express® eGift Card to the inbox of your friends and family in minutes.

Get Deal

Business Amex Gift Cards: The perfect thank you card for business. American Express® Business Gift Cards are the perfect way to say thank you to employees, colleagues and clients.

Get Deal

Normally, there is a $3.95 purchases fee with American Express gift cards. Make it personal and pay no purchase fee. Order your American Express® Gift Cards with a name embossed today.

Choice never goes out of style. American Express® Gift Cards and Business Gift Cards, the flexible choice for family, friends and colleagues. Click Here!
Say thank you with style. Show employees, colleagues and clients your appreciation with an American Express® Custom Message Gift Card. Click Here!

Make it personal with American Express® Personalized Gift Cards. Add a name, initials or a nickname to an American Express® Personalized Gift Card and show family and friends how much you care. Click Here!

Free Shipping Waiver Codes:

There is a standard shipping fee of $5.95 savings. However, you may have notice there is a 2-day shipping fee of $8.95. Simply sign up for “Premium Shipping Plan” and get free next day air delivery for 90 days. There is no cost for this free trial. If you don’t find it useful anymore after the free trial period, then cancel before they charge you.

Free standard shipping($5.95 savings)

Click Gift Cards at the bottom of the page
Then Manage your orders
Shipping Addresses section
Your Premium Shipping Plan free trial will end in xx days, Click View
Hit Cancel
American Express PREMIUM SHIPPING PLAN

Benefits of the Plan

Enjoy Unlimited Next-Day Shipping on any Amex gift card order for one year
No Limit to how often you use it per year
No Minimum Purchase so you get free next-day shipping on every order, big or small

How it Works

Choose “Premium Shipping (Next Day) $99/year” as your shipping method on your order.

Enjoy unlimited next-day shipping for one year.
You have nothing to lose and much to gain by using this Amex method to meeting your bonus spending requirements. Buy Amex gift cards today!American Express Prepaid Card Read more on our Amazing list of Save Money Online now!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:32 pm

Unfortunately any codes used invalidates any cash back from the cash back portals whether they are are on the approved list or not. This is a deal breaker IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.