Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:16 pm

Just went to the blue bird website ant it says they are changing the program as of December 12th 2012...They will be closing all current accounts...

www.bluebirdmoney.com
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixFF
Just went to the blue bird website ant it says they are changing the program as of December 12th 2012...They will be closing all current accounts...

www.bluebirdmoney.com
And it has a link to:

http://www.bluebird.com

which IS the new program.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:28 pm

re

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
So wally's didn't work, they got online and saw where it said cash or debit card. I shrugged, pulled up frequent miler's blog and showed it to them and said Amex is lying to a lot of people (ok, just kidding, i just left).

Prior to this, i went to OD for some bean hunting. Only four left on the rack, uh oh. Grabbed three, walked up, they had to call over a manager. I had my ID out ready, knowing they would ask for it. I started chatting up the manager about it, she said they are having to check a lot of things to see who is buying them. I made the comment that I understood as there is probably a lot of credit card fraud with buying these. She then goes on to say it really has nothing to do with OD, but with the bean company themselves. They are now required to have a manager double check the information and ID. She said in about 30 mins after the purchase i'm making, she will get a call from the company asking if a manager verified the information and compared ID to credit card. She said it was pretty crazy how far they were going, but she did say they sell a lot of them. I inquired about them being restocked soon and didn't really get much of an answer from her.

Anyway, loaded the BB just fine, now calling BB to find out something that will help me pay a bill, but how i pay it might be of even greater interest to lots of people on this board. I'm calling for a legitimate purpose, so no flaming about calling.

Edit: Been on hold for 22 mins, dang, are all of you calling?
you didn't go the store on Denton hywy did you...I scouted it and saw only 4 left on the rack...figured I might as well apply for ink and join the fun.
It is the only store near me, though they do have a few more in Fort Worth, there is no way I can do 10k in spend on a new ink without beans.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Southwest
Well, I'm a little late chiming in here, but I successfully went "bean hunting" and had no problems loading the Bluebird card. The only thing left to figure out is how many "beans" I can buy in a month on my Ink without upsetting Chase.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
...i went to OD for some bean hunting. Only four left on the rack, uh oh. Grabbed three, walked up, they had to call over a manager. I had my ID out ready, knowing they would ask for it. I started chatting up the manager about it, she said they are having to check a lot of things to see who is buying them. I made the comment that I understood as there is probably a lot of credit card fraud with buying these. She then goes on to say it really has nothing to do with OD, but with the bean company themselves. They are now required to have a manager double check the information and ID. She said in about 30 mins after the purchase i'm making, she will get a call from the company asking if a manager verified the information and compared ID to credit card. She said it was pretty crazy how far they were going, but she did say they sell a lot of them....
As luck would have it, I visited an OD today and noticed they had some of these sought-after cards. So I took one to the register, handed it to the cashier and said I wanted to put $500 on it. He punched his buttons, told me to swipe my credit card, I did, signed electronically, he thanked me and that was it. He never even looked at my credit card, never mind my ID - manager's approval? No way. Heck, buying $5 worth of light bulbs at Lowes they make you show your credit card and ID. Not at the OD I was in today, at least not with that cashier, for me.

I'm reading all sorts of different experiences that people are having with this. I think the acronym YMMV has never been more true.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
you didn't go the store on Denton hywy did you...I scouted it and saw only 4 left on the rack...figured I might as well apply for ink and join the fun.
It is the only store near me, though they do have a few more in Fort Worth, there is no way I can do 10k in spend on a new ink without beans.
Yep, I was there. I've been there many times, surprised to see them so low on beans.

I've seen success at walgreens on here, but never tried yet for the beans there. Plenty of those in the area.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Some data points:

I loaded $1000 via Van Reload at 3pm today.
I loaded another $1000 via Van Reload at 1215am (just past midnight). In both instances, I went ahead and tried to load an additional $500 (to go over the $1000 daily limit), and the error message kicked in.

So...unlike the Amex Prepaid card, which won't allow you to load again in less than 24 hours, the Bluebird max load of $1000/day is based on a calendar day, not 24 hours.

Also, I loaded a mixture of OD reload cards and Walgreen's reload cards. The reload cards are slightly different - OD cards have a bar code on the bottom, and Walgreen's reload cards have a magnetic strip, as well as a green background where the 10 digit secret code is printed. Both cards reloaded without a problem.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
As luck would have it, I visited an OD today and noticed they had some of these sought-after cards. So I took one to the register, handed it to the cashier and said I wanted to put $500 on it. He punched his buttons, told me to swipe my credit card, I did, signed electronically, he thanked me and that was it. He never even looked at my credit card, never mind my ID - manager's approval?
I had the *exact* same experience, except my OD check out person was a woman. One $500 card, ran my Ink Bold, no questions, no ID.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:50 pm

anyone have a sample check of what it looks like? once a payment is made, can you get a PDF of what the recipient will receive? I made insurance payment in which i manually entered address along w/ memo since it wouldn't take it via the automatic electronic transfer.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Its only been out like a week, give them a couple weeks to work out some of the kinks. I still haven't even received my cards.

So far as I'm concerned, as long as I can make free ATM withdraws at walmart I'm happy.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:17 am

Has anyone used bluebird to pay mortgage through citi or Wells Fargo? Or ally auto?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by webazoid
anyone have a sample check of what it looks like? once a payment is made, can you get a PDF of what the recipient will receive? I made insurance payment in which i manually entered address along w/ memo since it wouldn't take it via the automatic electronic transfer.
It shows as a regular check, nothing special. My info appeared in the location it normally would on a personal check.

FYI - Check was "sent" on 10/19 and it arrived yesterday, 10/25 - this was to a manual entry payee
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by c3troop
Has anyone used bluebird to pay mortgage through citi or Wells Fargo? Or ally auto?
This service is just like the online bill pay services offered by just about every bank and CU in the country and has proven to be 100% reliable. Just make sure you double check your information, including account numbers before submitting for payment. If you are manually entering an address, ie: writing a virtual check, allow up to a week for processing but there are some that may still be transmitted via ACH
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WOXOF
This service is just like the online bill pay services offered by just about every bank and CU in the country and has proven to be 100% reliable. Just make sure you double check your information, including account numbers before submitting for payment. If you are manually entering an address, ie: writing a virtual check, allow up to a week for processing but there are some that may still be transmitted via ACH
And if you're concerned about it working, only send $5 while continuing to make your normal payment. Once you see that the test payment works, you can move over fully.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:01 am

thanks for the info guys. I guess I'm late getting in on this I just found out about this yesterday. So is anybody already paying all their mortgages and everything through this service? I'm going to get some vanilla cards today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.