Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by cuetan
This aint free money. They will offset w/ a reversal
In the old days of paypal and netbank and the likes, they used to just let you keep it. I haven't seen it allowing to be kept for maybe 5-10 years at any major site.

None the less, since the account can't do a withdrawal (it is not technically a reversal, it's a subsequent withdrawal for the same amount), I wonder how they will get it back...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
. . . or is a CC.
Just sayin . . .
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
when the next small business saturday come around i wonder if you will be able to register this blue bird account
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cuetan
This aint free money. They will offset w/ a reversal
But he/she still makes interest off it...Good times!..till they last
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by particlemn
when the next small business saturday come around i wonder if you will be able to register this blue bird account
Next one is 11/24 so we'll find out soon. IIRC other Amex prepaids didn't work last year. I doubt BB will.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123

None the less, since the account can't do a withdrawal (it is not technically a reversal, it's a subsequent withdrawal for the same amount), I wonder how they will get it back...
Is this true? From the Dashboard, in Recent Transactions, I see "Deposit Money" and "Transfer Money." The transfer money option seems to allow direct transfer of BB funds back into a linked checking account.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
2) Can you use the routing and account number provided by BB when setting up direct deposit for the auto-pay option of utility bills where they deduct straight out of your checking account?
Now you are seeing some really good possibilities. If you can just give those numbers to any place to "pull" money from to fund an account...tons of possibilities.

Not sure why the cardinals would care, I can attach my current checking account and have funds pulled at will, whenever I want...limiting this would make this product somewhat unappealing.

Edit: I called about this same exact scenario last night, was put on hold to ask a manager, was told they didn't know for sure, but I could go ahead and try and see what happens.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndoe123
So there are different levels of access with ACH? I really haven't explored that world, but a one-way deposit only account is pretty intriguing. All of those people who complain that PayPal yanked money out of their accounts . . . here's a way to keep that from happening.

But, if PayPal can't withdraw, maybe they won't verify it either? Maybe verification is predicated on the ability to withdraw by them?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
So there are different levels of access with ACH? I really haven't explored that world, but a one-way deposit only account is pretty intriguing. All of those people who complain that PayPal yanked money out of their accounts . . . here's a way to keep that from happening.

But, if PayPal can't withdraw, maybe they won't verify it either? Maybe verification is predicated on the ability to withdraw by them?
Yes, the bank just denies it. After all, if I try to ACH withdraw 50,000 out of your account and it has $2 in it, it doesn't just go through without confirmation.

Finding a bank that offers that kind of account might be another story. ACH typically seems like an on/off option. And I'm not going to say there isn't a hidden agreement for reversing unauthorized transfers (in error), but I do not consider the paypal due to a dispute being an error.

They may not care. Enter in the numbers and let us know. All paypal wants you to type in is the deposit amounts to make sure the account is yours.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A denial for lack of funds is different than a denial based on account type or setup. I really don't think that's the same issue at all.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by particlemn
1) Next promo date is Nov. 24;

2) Prepaid AMEX and AMEX giftcards are explicitly excluded.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:02 pm

Man I envy some of you. No reloads my way and want to ink my mortgage so bad. Hopefully this will last for you deserving folk, so long as those pesky Bloggers don't/haven't beat it to death. We less fortunate plebians live vicariously through you...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:36 pm
Suspended

tried to use it to buy gas at the pump but says SEE ATTENDENT?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
Yeah you can't pay at the pump with these cards.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by emptiness
Not abnormal. For many prepaid cards, they want the attendant to swipe them. Just like if you get a "debit" card as a rebate, you can not swipe it at the pump.

Did you go to the attendant and was there an issue????????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.