Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:40 pm

My card is not shown on that link

It has a kind of starter card inside it. On the front, it has 16 digits, valid through date and Visa sign with Debit written on top of the sign.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:47 pm

A lot of hand holding going on here.

But really, MMS makes it extremely easy and idiot-proof for newbies.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
A lot of hand holding going on here.

But really, MMS makes it extremely easy and idiot-proof for newbies.
Apparently not easy enough
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by ddallas
Scroll down through the pictures on this link and tell us which one your card looks like.
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/1...-reload-cards/
My best guess is https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/

And I guess this is the blog OP read.

http://milevalue.com/free-first-clas...onth-bluebird/

I think there is nothing wrong with the blog.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by punjabi2

It has a kind of starter card inside it. On the front, it has 16 digits, valid through date and Visa sign with Debit written on top of the sign.
punjabi2, welcome to Flyertalk!

I know FT can sometimes have the reputation of being hard on newbies, but dude - you have GOT to do some reading on your own. Getting shot down for "being a newbie" can seem rude to the newbie....but then again, the newbie asking tell-me-everything-I-need-to-know-from-scratch questions on page 480something of a thread can seem selfish to the folks who have been participating in the thread from the beginning.

The card you bought has an associated web site. Go there first. Read the whole web site, and make sure you look at the FAQ. If you still need more info, you can search various travel blogs as well as Flyertalk for your particular card. If you still have a question that hasn't been answered, that's the time to ask the FT community for advice.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:32 pm

Okay, whatever visa card it is, you can use it for normal everyday spend until you use it up if nothing else. Next time you go to buy something maybe print out the picture of what you want to get. That's the easiest way to make sure you get what you intended. A lot of these products look the same or have similar names. Lots of folks have bought something other than what they thought they were buying. Happens all the time.

Last edited by ddallas; Feb 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:38 pm

wait for actual card to arrive in the mail. You'll get a pin or may be able to set it while activating the actual card. After that use your imagination
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshah
wait for actual card to arrive in the mail. You'll get a pin or may be able to set it while activating the actual card. After that use your imagination
WRONG.

Only after he registered the temp card, he would then get a permanent card by mail.

When OP registered his store-bought card on MyVanilla website, he has to set up a PIN himself in the registering process. Therefore no PIN would come or to set with the permanent card which by the way, does not have the same number as the temp card.

Meanwhile, he could just use his temp card like any other debit card to pay for things purchased.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
My best guess is https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/

And I guess this is the blog OP read.

http://milevalue.com/free-first-clas...onth-bluebird/

I think there is nothing wrong with the blog.
I tend to agree.

I dont see how the OP could confuse this with the VR used for the BB.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Apparently not easy enough
The game is not for everyone that is evident.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by Happy
I dont see how the OP could confuse this with the VR used for the BB.
+1, OP asked the same thing here on Jan 27(post #6648 on P444).......
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
Next time you go to buy something maybe print out the picture of what you want to get.
I think we just hit rock bottom.

But as others said, read, research, and read again before doing anything. I've asked very few questions compared to the hours of reading I have done. Because of that research, starting from 0 FF miles, by the time my first "churn" is done, I'll have 330,000 miles by June, on my shoestring budget, without using BB or any "manufactured spending."

Edit: Just because I know someone will say something. 0 miles/points in the UA, AA, Hyatt and Hilton accounts that I'll be getting them in from CC Churning. I usually fly WN, and JetBlue, so I haven't counted them for those for this post.

Last edited by PainCorp; Feb 11, 2013 at 3:14 am Reason: Additional info
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:25 am

From my experience in NYC, after visiting over 15 CVS locations, I'd say dont bother looking for VR at the gift card rack and also you wont see it at the registers either.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:40 am

Plenty of VR @ CVS here in East Northport. CC no problem
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by killercut
From my experience in NYC, after visiting over 15 CVS locations, I'd say dont bother looking for VR at the gift card rack and also you wont see it at the registers either.
Where else is there?

It's much in demand, but sometimes you get lucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.